About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 08:05:53 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Liu Tieqin bottle?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Liu Tieqin bottle?  (Read 553 times)
wgeoff
Private Boards

« on: December 14, 2014, 09:03:13 pm »

I took a few bottles to the recent Asia Regional Snuff Bottle Exhibition in the hope of someone identifying the artists when only a pen name appears on the bottle.

I was fortunate with this one. A small bottle, 7cm tall by 4cm wide, dated 1985 on the bottle and signed 'Lao Tie'.

Lu Jianguang suggested this was painted by Liu Tieqin, a 3rd generation artist of Wang Xisan's alongside Fu Guoshun and Dong Xue, 'before my time' as Lu Jianguang said.

His name does not appear in Chinese Inside Painting of the Modern Age but it does appear in A New Look page 93 together with a few bottles painted in the later 1980's - maybe he stopped producing bottles soon afterwards. J.H.Leung mentions him as being 'unknown to collectors'. According to J.H., Liu Tieqin resumed painting in the spring of 1985 and then, rather intriguingly, he also says 'Liu Tieqin was painting a landscape bottle when I visited the Ji studio in November 1985' - could this be the bottle I wonder?

Anyway, I bought it in Cat Street, Hong Kong in the late 1990s when such things were available (now they are all fakes). It took several visits to get an agreed price with the stall holder, around HK$800 I seem to remember. But I'm very pleased to have it. Not a masterpiece, but a piece with a nice history I think.

Geoff
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 09:41:13 pm by wgeoff » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 10:12:43 pm »

Geoff

Thanks for sharing.  If you don't mind me saying, you are understating the quality of the painting.  I personally think this is very well and beautifully painted and would love to have it in my collection... I hope it does have the history you describe...
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 11:16:02 pm »

Hi Geoff,

A wonderful bottle, I like the painting as well, especially the mountains and left tree without the leaves and overall layout  of the landscape .

The trees on the right side is very done as well if not the best. the only thing is not exciting is the figure painting, I personally think it ruins the whole painting, if the figures were not there, I will like the bottle much more.

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 11:20:37 pm »

Geoff,

I am not generally attracted to IP bottles when compared to other types of bottle, but am partial to landscapes, especially those of limited colour palette and delicate brushwork, like this one. And with an intriguing story behind it!  

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 12:39:26 am »

Wonderful paintings ..  I also like them very much, and see a great deal of detail within both.. 

Really exceptional !
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
AntPeople
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 05:30:43 am »

Lu JianGuang also mention that Lui TieQin is still painting in JingDeZhen as a porcelain plate painter but has stop painting IP bottles totally.

Pin
Report Spam   Logged

五花馬,千金裘。呼兒將出換美酒,與爾同銷萬古愁。

http://www.chinese-snuff-bottle.com

David

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 03:52:33 pm »

Hello Geoff,

It looks nice, especially the mountain that looks like a dragons' spine/back coiling in the mist. And the trees/fog telling you that it is late fall or early winter.

But, a great deal for 800 HK, and way better than most of my "snuff bottle" fakes or tourist items.

Best Regards,
David

Report Spam   Logged

David

wgeoff
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 06:12:50 pm »

Thanks all for your comments which help me appreciate the bottle even more.
Also to Pin for remembering the comment from Lu Jianguang that Liu Tieqin was now painting porcelain in JingDeZhen. I had missed that, maybe got lost in translation.

David, don't worry, we all have our collection of fakes and cheap bottles - I think you're over that stage now.

I managed to find two other Liu Tieqin bottles on the internet, here

The first one, dated 1987, also appears in A New Look page 96. The second one is dated 1986.
Both were at auction and fetched around RMB3000 in 2007.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 11:03:36 am by George » Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 08:53:01 pm »

Geoff,

I much prefer yours to these two examples, for reasons already stated.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 08:58:53 pm »

I have to say that I like the guy's style.  It is a pity he is no longer painting inside bottles.   Thanks Geoff!
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 09:28:23 pm »

I have to say that I like the guy's style.  It is a pity he is no longer painting inside bottles.   Thanks Geoff!

Pat,

You may have to start collecting his porcelain plates...  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

David

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 12:22:03 am »

Hello Geoff,

It feels different... the first makes me feel crowded by the other people and want to squeeze in to see more. Which is neat.

Like Steven, I really like the trees of the first one, it is so detailed and layered by the obscuring fog. The trees in the latter two feels like there is less depth, too heavy, simpler (structure).

The pen names are different, one is Old Iron, while the latter 2 are Iron Qin (as in music instrument). And seals are different.

It is hard to believe that he can change his style this much in 1 year.

Best Regards,
David
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 12:25:35 am by David » Report Spam   Logged

David

AntPeople
Private Boards

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 01:04:55 am »

IMO... His painting is very nice !!!

But his calligraphy is not the best and he tried too hard to paint too many people into his picture

The famous Chinese master painter Li KeRan once said..... The most difficult part of a Chinese landscape paintings is to know where to include "people" into the overall picture.

I guess those little people that occupied less then 5% of the overall space can either make or break a lot of things !!!! Grin

Pin
Report Spam   Logged

五花馬,千金裘。呼兒將出換美酒,與爾同銷萬古愁。

http://www.chinese-snuff-bottle.com

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: