About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 07:32:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Skinner Auction June 2nd, 3rd and 4th

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Skinner Auction June 2nd, 3rd and 4th  (Read 408 times)
George
Administrator

Test

« on: May 24, 2011, 11:33:40 pm »

This is really a pretty nice bunch of bottles.. Most starting bids are at the 125.00 mark..

Worth a look for sure..

Here are all the bottle Listings for all three sessions.

There are three sessions.. Each session requires a separate pre-registration.  Each session has bottles listed.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 11:41:31 pm by Bottle Guy » Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 09:00:23 am »

Hi George

Hey, that's  really interesting !  Let me  explain why ...

I went  to  the  Bonhams  Bloch III  auction  today   - not as busy as  Bloch  I and II  last year, but  still a  sellout  and  some  stellar  prices  - some  up to  USD500,000  for    some rare bottles  ( check  Bonham's  website  for  details  - it's a beautiful  website)  . But  there  were   some   fine   Zhou  Leyuans    which  went  for  under  USD12K ( inclusive  of buyer's  20%  premium)   and   even an  1898     Bi  Rongjiu that  went  for  as low as  USD 4K   !   That's  less than  I have paid recently  for a  really top class  modern  IPB.   Apart  from  some  rare   Ma  Shaoxuan   portaits ,  very   few  Middle  period  IPBs  went  for  over  USD25K  .

The  amazing    thing was the    immense  variety  of the  bottles  :  really all  sorts , and some  very  beautiful  indeed  . But   to my totally  untrained   eye  ( and taste)   you can  have  swopped the  Skinner's   website for  Bonhams  Bloch III and  I would  have been  hard  pushed to  say which was  which  ...except  for the  IPBs.
There  really are some  beauties  on the  Skinner's    site. I have no idea  of their  provenance, but  frankly  when  it  comes to  stone carved and  other   similar  bottles  I  would  only want to  pay for the   skill and  beauty, regardless of  whether the  bottle  was  created   2  years  or  200 years  ago.   

So if  I was  inclined to   start a  collection of  " all  sorts" of    snuff bottles, I would  happily go to  the  Skinner's  auction and buy the  lot, assuming they  all go  finally  for a  few  USD  hundreds   each  (   but  certainly   not    if  for  USD  thousands   each )

Guess that  tells   a lot  about  how  unsophisticated  my taste  is  :  or  maybe   it shows rather that  I  don't  care  at all    about  "age"    as  long  as an art object is truly  beautiful  and well-made , especially  something that  is   purely a  stone or  ivory  carving

That's   also  why  I'm totally  in love  with  Modern  IPBs  :  I think that their  beauty and  skill  is    quantum levels  higher than any  Middle  school  bottle so I'm willing to  pay   a lot for  that , buying  ( now)  what I personally  think is the   creme  de la   creme  of   the  works  of the  best Modern  artists  who paint   the landscape  themes   which I love. 

Guess  there's a great   divide  in the  collecting  world  :   on  the  one  side there's  those   who  collect  only the rarest and  most expensive, for  whom  provenance is  the be all and  end  all.  Those were   today's  ( rich)  buyers  at Bonhams   Bloch III , for  whom  price  is  no  matter  because   such  attested   pieces  will  invevitably   go  up  for ever  due to their  rarity  value . On the  other  side there's  those   who just collect  what they  think are  beautiful ,as  long as they can afford  them  . That's me   , and I'm happy to be  just  little  me, and proud as a  cat with  two   tails   about    my   growing   little   collection .

Cheers  Peter

PS  :   Off to  Beijing tomorrow  for the  Wang Xisan   Museum opening   ceremony  on friday  : should  be    quite a  party,  and I heard there's a  bunch  of  ICSBS    big-name  members  also  joining besides  about    30  new  mainland Chinese  members being welcomed to the  ICSBS

Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 12:21:05 pm »

But   to my totally  untrained   eye  ( and taste)   you can  have  swopped the  Skinner's   website for  Bonhams  Bloch III and  I would  have been  hard  pushed to  say which was  which  ...except  for the  IPBs.
There  really are some  beauties  on the  Skinner's    site. I have no idea  of their  provenance, but  frankly  when  it  comes to  stone carved and  other   similar  bottles  I  would  only want to  pay for the   skill and  beauty, regardless of  whether the  bottle  was  created   2  years  or  200 years  ago.   

That is interesting...

I totally agree about buying for the beauty, regardless of the age of a bottle. Don't get me wrong, I do like the older bottles, but there are a whole lot of really beautiful newer bottles out there being offered at reasonable prices.. 

Looking forward to hearing all about your journey when you return from the Wang Xisan museum ceremony... !

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 09:33:50 pm »

Some extremely nice bottles.  Wish I had the leisure time for traveling to these types of auctions.  Or have someone that knows his/her stuff nearby to bid and buy on my behalf.  Thanks for sharing George!

Peter, have fun in Beijing and Hengshui.  I am in Ayathuya, Thailand  :-(   Keep your eyes and your wallet in check ;-)
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: