About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 02:28:57 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Greetings from a Snuff-User

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Greetings from a Snuff-User  (Read 5520 times)
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2015, 05:16:30 am »

Hi there Patrick.. Glad you are back !

I have heard of Rapee and being used for Shamanic Rituals. I think it gets a person high to some point.. Not sure how strong it is, or what the effects actually are.. I use to have some pictures showing indigenous people using long bamboo tubes.. One person actually blows hard while the receiver inhales through their nose. 

I am interested to learn about medicinal ingredients within snuff..
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2015, 01:09:10 pm »

Dear Patrick,
    First of all, Welcome Back! You were missed.
    When you talked about schmalz/shmaltz and its use in snuff, you TOTALLY ignored its wonderfully sublime use in Jewish cooking and of course that of  Central and Eastern Europe.
    Shmaltz is a key ingredient in 'Gribenes', Jewish soul food (chicken skin and onions chopped up and fried in  chicken shmaltz). Just thinking about it hardens one's arteries, but it is so delicious!
    I had a wonderful take on it recently - in Tel Aviv, I was served french fries fried in duck and goose shmaltz! HEAVEN!
    Yes, one says the blessing 'Boreh Minei Besamim' ("Creator of the types of fragrant herbs") over snuff.
    But it has always been given out on Shabbat as well as Yom Kippur, since those addicted to nicotine can't light a cigarette on Shabbat, but can ingest snuff through their nose. 
    I didn't know about the Chasidic stories, or about the Ben Gurion collection of snuff boxes. If being sold recently, they are probably being flogged by one of the grandchildren or great grandchildren.

Best,
     Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2015, 08:46:32 pm »

Dear Patrick,

Good to hear you reporting back for duty!  And thank you for explaining some of the different types of snuff, including 'schmalzler' and 'rapee'. 

One question: is the finest quality snuff still considered to be that originating from Brazil, as it was during the Qing dynasty?

All best,
Tom
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 08:50:13 pm by Wattana » Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

David

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2015, 10:31:34 pm »

Hello Patrick,

Please call me David. Glad to hear that you got well.

Thank you for the answer regarding my question.  Cheesy It is not white, but I think more of a grey/light brownish powder with yellowish or dark brownish crystal powder.

Best Regards,
David
Report Spam   Logged

David

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2015, 10:43:10 pm »

Dear David,

My interest in snuff has been roused by this thread, so I went online and found a number of snuff suppliers. Between them, they appear to offer a bewildering array of snuffs. The most popular varieties seem to be flavoured ones. I also noticed that some are described as "tobacco free", and these must be the type you are referring to. But to my thinking, if the snuff contains no nicotine, what is the attraction?

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Ludwig-1954
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2015, 09:25:03 am »

Dear Joey

I beg forgiveness for ignoring tut he different culinary uses
of Schmalz (lard etc.). Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa
(or was that catholic?). Gribenes, Grieben, Graupen etc., heavenly
Manna, how could I ever forget. We used beef Grieben, fried in
Schmalz with bulbes and well salted. Eaten with fresh bread, warm
From the oven.
Chips or - to be pecise - Pommes Frites, in Schmalz (Gänseschmalz)
Reminds me of Antwerp. Could your Tel Aviv cook have immigated
From Belgium?

Dear David, dear Wattana
There are one or two snuffs made without tobacco. First, there was
'Niespulver', sold in pharmacies, usually in the drawer to the left of
The liquorice, yes near the sweetwood. Today extinct.
Then, there are these weird white powders, based on fructose and
Flavoured with peppermint (Pöschl, Bernhard). You rightly ask, what
The point is. Reminds me of myself, strutting around as a six year old,
'smoking' my chocolate cigarette and feeling oh so grown up ...
Probably an EU health commissars invention.

Well, enough of the friendly Banter, I will get behind tobacco medication and
Brasil tobacco next. With your permission, I shall now leave your company

Patrick B. Ludwig
Report Spam   Logged
David

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2015, 10:46:46 am »

Hello Patrick,

That is too funny and completely true! I enjoyed those chocolate and I vague recall there is one which allows you to blow out a puff or two of powdered sugar.

Best Regards,
David
Report Spam   Logged

David

Private Boards

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2015, 05:57:20 pm »

Dear Patrick,
      Mea Culpa is indeed RC (Roman Catholic), and I will accept it for your comparison of chicken/duck/goose shmaltz with lard (pig fat) Heaven Forbid!!!  Grin   Cheesy   Wink
      What is beef Grieben and what are bulbes? If it is anything like Chicken griebenes, it must be wonderful! And with fresh warm crusty bread, what G-D Serves in Heaven on Shabbat!
      By the way, do you know why G-D Serves 'The Big Fish' up in heaven as well as 'the Wild Ox'? Because some really 'Frum' Jews won't accept HIS  Kashrut as strict enough!   Grin
      Actually the recipes are from the Belgian Jewish kitchen as well as the Czech Jewish kitchen (the two owners, the first very Religious from Antwerpen, the second very secular from Brno, brought their grannies' recipes. The lady from Belgium was hidden by her Flemish neighbours 1940-1945; the lady from Brno survived Theresienstadt and Auschwitz. Both came to Israel, where they each have been fruitful and multiplied greatly, Thank G-D.). I think the potatoes in duck shmaltz is Czech, but the french fries change is indeed from Belgium. And they serve it with mayonnaise! Is that a Belgian 'thing'?
They were offended when I wanted ketchup. Whoops.
Best,
  Joey

Dear Joey

I beg forgiveness for ignoring tut he different culinary uses
of Schmalz (lard etc.). Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa
(or was that catholic?). Gribenes, Grieben, Graupen etc., heavenly
Manna, how could I ever forget. We used beef Grieben, fried in
Schmalz with bulbes and well salted. Eaten with fresh bread, warm
From the oven.
Chips or - to be pecise - Pommes Frites, in Schmalz (Gänseschmalz)
Reminds me of Antwerp. Could your Tel Aviv cook have immigated
From Belgium?

Dear David, dear Wattana
There are one or two snuffs made without tobacco. First, there was
'Niespulver', sold in pharmacies, usually in the drawer to the left of
The liquorice, yes near the sweetwood. Today extinct.
Then, there are these weird white powders, based on fructose and
Flavoured with peppermint (Pöschl, Bernhard). You rightly ask, what
Probably an EU health commissars invention.

Well, enough of the friendly Banter, I will get behind tobacco medication and
Brasil tobacco next. With your permission, I shall now leave your company

Patrick B. Ludwig
Report Spam   Logged

Ludwig-1954
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2015, 06:31:15 am »

Dear Friends and future Snuff Takers
Dear Joey

Bulbes: Are of course onions - perhaps you remember the song: Montik Bulbes, Dinstik Bulbes  ....

Beef Grieben: same procedure as with Entenschmalz or Gänseschmalz, you heat the fatty
substance of Beef until Fat is extracted. Remain cellular fragments, similar taste to Grieben/ Gribenes. Grieben are also made of Pork (G-d forbid although I am anything but Frum). Which brings us to lard - I was not Aware, that the term lard onlly applied to pork, thanks for the Info.
Yes, Belgians, Luxemburgers and some Germans prefer Mayonnaise with Chips something I would consider a sacrilege but remember, the Brits pour vinegar over theirs. Ugh!

Rapé, Rrapee from South America. Though Lega (barely) it does provide a high - if you are using the specifically shamanic mixtures. But beware, an instruction for beginners at Rapee sessions warns you bring along a bucket, several rolls of toilet paper and an ample supply of drinking water. I will try to check out some ingredients, I here that Bohica is used among other
herbs.

I have a question with regard to the Decoration of many mongolian snuff bottles, a foo Dog or a Lion, perhaps a Bankhar dog, holding a ring in ist mouth (a bit like a Victorian Brass door knockers). I simply cannot find the origin or meaning of this symbol. I will also post this
question at ist appropriate place.

With my respects, a bientot

Patrick B. Ludwig
Report Spam   Logged
Private Boards

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2015, 10:18:02 am »

Dear Patrick,

Is that "Monday Onions, Tuesday Onions..." in Yiddish? Nisht Fashteist Yiddish ("I don't understand Yiddish"). I only know a very few phrases in Yiddish.  I probably know more Beijinghua (Mandarin Chinese) than Yiddish. I am fluent in English, Hebrew and Arabic, though.

When Jews would come to a Synagogue ( up till the 1980s anyway) anywhere in Europe, the Americas, Oceania, South Africa,  etc., they'd be asked,"Fashteist Yiddish?" (Do you understand Yiddish?)
If they didn't speak Yiddish, the retort would be,"What type of Jew doesn't speak Yiddish?!"

It irritated the Jews in Singapore, who are 90% of Iraqi Jewish origin, and Arabic speaking. So when Jews from 'outside' would visit Magen Avot Synagogue in Singapore, they would be asked,"Do you speak Arabic?", with the usual answer being," What type of Jew doesn't speak Arabic?!"

When I arrived on a Shabbat morning in 1981, I was asked this, in English.
 To which I replied, "Ma'alum ana fahem luhra Arabiya al-fuskha? Fi Yahudi fil-Alam mish fahem Luhra Arabiya al-fuskha?!" ("Of course I understand classical Arabic; Is there a Jew in the world who doesn't understand classical Arabic?!").

At which point, my questioners almost died from shock, since I look like a typical pale-skinned East European Jew. The funniest thing was their kids saying,"What did he say? What did he say?!" in English.
 And then I said in Arabic,"What?! They don't understand classical Arabic?! This is Shameful!".

And then, after Sabbath morning prayers, they served three types of cuisine at the 'Kiddush' buffet (after 2+ hrs. of prayer and Torah reading and more prayer, one needs sustenance! and not just a 'shmeck tabac', or "sniff of snuff", either!): Eastern European 'Cholent'(a heavy dish, cooking overnight, with potatoes, beans, chunks of meat, and kishka or Jewish Haggis), much too heavy in Singapore's hot climate!; Iraqi food, such as Rice pilaf, lamb patties with spices in a sauce, salads, chicken with a sauce, etc.; and  Lamb & Chicken Satays.

I naturally went to town on the Iraqi food and the Satays. My hosts were POSITIVE that I must be at least partially Iraqi Jewish in origin, since I knew and obviously loved their food. After eating, singing some Sabbath table-songs, including Iraqi ones;  and doing the Grace after eating, I explained that I'd been hosted by friends of Iraqi  origin for Shabbat many times while doing my army service in Israel, as well as those from Russian Georgia, Persia, Yemen, and Morocco in my 36 months of national service.

Now, Patrick, what you describe is called a 'Taotie' (in Pinyin, or Ta'o Tieh in Wade Giles) or 'mock-ring handle', and it is a Chinese archaistic design element, which is meant to remind the viewer of the 'Jiu Ding' or "Nine Ritual Cauldrons", which in turn  symbolised the Emperor's 'Mandate of Heaven' (or right to rule over the Middle Kingdom).

Best Wishes,
      A Gut Voch (A Good Week!),

Joey

Dear Friends and future Snuff Takers
Dear Joey

Bulbes: Are of course onions - perhaps you remember the song: Montik Bulbes, Dinstik Bulbes  ....

Beef Grieben: same procedure as with Entenschmalz or Gänseschmalz, you heat the fatty
substance of Beef until Fat is extracted. Remain cellular fragments, similar taste to Grieben/ Gribenes. Grieben are also made of Pork (G-d forbid although I am anything but Frum). Which brings us to lard - I was not Aware, that the term lard onlly applied to pork, thanks for the Info.
Yes, Belgians, Luxemburgers and some Germans prefer Mayonnaise with Chips something I would consider a sacrilege but remember, the Brits pour vinegar over theirs. Ugh!

Rapé, Rrapee from South America. Though Lega (barely) it does provide a high - if you are using the specifically shamanic mixtures. But beware, an instruction for beginners at Rapee sessions warns you bring along a bucket, several rolls of toilet paper and an ample supply of drinking water. I will try to check out some ingredients, I here that Bohica is used among other
herbs.

I have a question with regard to the Decoration of many mongolian snuff bottles, a foo Dog or a Lion, perhaps a Bankhar dog, holding a ring in ist mouth (a bit like a Victorian Brass door knockers). I simply cannot find the origin or meaning of this symbol. I will also post this
question at ist appropriate place.

With my respects, a bientot

Patrick B. Ludwig
Report Spam   Logged

Ludwig-1954
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2015, 08:18:39 am »

A gitn Tog, Reb Joey

Thank you for your answer. That it could be a Taotie never
Occurred to me. The Taotie I know are the very abstract
Ones on Shang Bronzes and look quite different.

You are correct in your translation of the Bulbes-Song. Here are
Two links on Youtube:

You will enjoy the second one, considering your ties to the
Far east!

My own yiddisch is substandard too, I speak Farsi, some Tajik,
German,French and English as well as some Russian. But
Yiddisch came very handy on a flight from Tashkent to Moscow.
The Mohel of Uzbekistan was my seat neighbour, and with a
Combination of Bukharan Tajik and Yiddisch, we both had an
Entertaining journey. Much to the amusenent of the Stewardess.
The Rabbi was given Red Carpet Treatment by Aeroflot in Moscow.
After the fall of the USSR, we unfortunately Lost touch

To you too, a git Woch

Patrick B. Ludwig
Report Spam   Logged
David

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2015, 12:11:05 am »

Hello Patrick,

That is an interesting song, I had never heard a Yiddish (before meeting Joey online, I did not even know Hebrew and Yiddish is different) song before. Thank you.

I took the liberty to include in your thread a link and copy/paste where I found a transcription (a little different, but close) and translation, for me and the other members that don't understand Yiddish.

LOL! The 2nd one is so funny after hearing the serious/sad tone on the first. Interesting contrast, amazing what tone difference can do.

I don't quite understand the lyric as the translation seems too short. Why does the song/tone feels strong and sad, when the lyrics (translate) feels kind of funny/joking? Does it have a special meaning for people from Israel?

Also, is it potato or onion?

Best Regards,
David

http://www.soupsong.com/fpotato3.html

Yiddish Potato Folk Songs

(many thanks to writer Jerry Newman for the contribution)

Zuntik bulbes, montik bulbes,
Dinstik uhn mitvoch bulbes,
Donershtik uhn fraytik bulbes.
Ober shabbes in a noveneh a bulbeh kuggele
Zuntik vayter bulbes

Zuntik vayter bulbes

Oi broyt mit bulbes, fleysch mit bulbes,
Varimes uhn vetshere bulbes.
Vetshere uhn varimes bulbes.
Ober eynmol in a noveneh a bulbeh kuggele
Zuntik vayter bulbes
Zuntik vayter bulbes

Ober bulbes, vider bulbes,
Ober uhn vider bulbes,
Vider uhn ober bulbes.
Ober shabbes nochn tsholnt a bulbeh kuggele
Zuntik vayter bulbes
Zuntik vayter bulbes

Translation: Sunday potatoes, Monday potatoes, &c. but on the Sabbath for a change a potato pudding, Sunday once again potatoes. Oi, bread and potatoes, meat with potatoes, lunch and supper - potatoes, still and again, &c.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 12:13:13 am by David » Report Spam   Logged

David

Ludwig-1954
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2015, 02:00:32 am »

Good morning, David

I have heard different versions for onions and potatoes:
Onion: Bulbes as well as Tsibele
Potato: Bulbes as well as Kartofl

Possibly a regional thing.

Thank you for the transliteration.

Let me use the opportunity to apologise for the awful
Formatting of my posts. I have yet to discover the
Subtleties of line length, which seems to be totally
Incompatible with the text editor on my telephone.

With my best regards
Patrick B. Ludwig
Report Spam   Logged
David

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2015, 10:34:59 am »

Hello Patrick,

Thank you for the explanation. I see now, the song is on bulb (edible root storage of plants)? I like sweet onion but everyday is hard to swallow. Smiley

For me, your formatting is fine and very easy to expand to read on a notebook, the content is way more important.

Have a good night and best regards,
David

Report Spam   Logged

David

David

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2015, 11:42:12 am »

Hello Patrick,

A thought just occurred to me. Is the song sad/strong/serious, because that is all that they have to eat? But they will eat to survive to fight another day (or to not give up and wait for a chance)?

Best Regards,
David
Report Spam   Logged

David

David

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2015, 12:29:28 pm »

Hello Patrick,

And thank you for teaching me a new word: Transliteration.

Never really thought about the differences between translation, transcription, and transliteration until checking the wiki what does the word you used meant.

Kind Regards,
David
Report Spam   Logged

David

Private Boards

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2015, 01:13:10 pm »

Dear Patrick,

Hardly a 'Reb' (Jew-Guru?  Grin).

I remember hearing 'kartofl' for potatoes and 'tzibele' for onions. Bulbes must be a more 'Yekkishe' term.
My family are good solid 'Ost-Juden' stock, which means poor white trash Sefardim, who could not afford to pay to get to Morocco, much less the Ottoman Empire, and simply walked from Spain, via what's now France and Germany, till they got to Poland, between 1495 and 1540.
  I must admit to being impressed with 'Farsi, and some Tajik'!
  The link to Chinese students singing in Yiddish was hilarious, and then led to an interesting segment, GERMAN VS. YIDDISH. I must admit, I found the German guy hotter than the Jewish guy, and liked the sound of  the German more than that of the Yiddish. But I think the Yiddish speaker was Russian or a Litvak (Lithuanian), or, G-D Forbid, a Rumanian (!), and I'm a Poilisher at heart.
   It is always amazing to me, when I go back to my hometown of Toronto, that people will still talk about 'the Rumanishe Shul', even though the Jews going there today are a mix of Polish, Russian, German, Czech, etc., and of course some Rumanian Jews. 
  Best,
 Joey

A gitn Tog, Reb Joey

Thank you for your answer. That it could be a Taotie never
Occurred to me. The Taotie I know are the very abstract
Ones on Shang Bronzes and look quite different.

You are correct in your translation of the Bulbes-Song. Here are
Two links on Youtube:

You will enjoy the second one, considering your ties to the
Far east!

My own yiddisch is substandard too, I speak Farsi, some Tajik,
German,French and English as well as some Russian. But
Yiddisch came very handy on a flight from Tashkent to Moscow.
The Mohel of Uzbekistan was my seat neighbour, and with a
Combination of Bukharan Tajik and Yiddisch, we both had an
Entertaining journey. Much to the amusenent of the Stewardess.
The Rabbi was given Red Carpet Treatment by Aeroflot in Moscow.
After the fall of the USSR, we unfortunately Lost touch

To you too, a git Woch

Patrick B. Ludwig
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 06:38:41 pm by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

David

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2015, 11:58:13 pm »

Dear Joey,

My head is spinning...  Grin Huh  I feel like I am caught between 2 learnt elders like long long time ago! LOL!

Tiptoeing to the sides.... for now  Wink

Mirthfully,
David

Report Spam   Logged

David

David

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2015, 06:31:33 pm »

Incense burning in bronze ding...

Pinch of snuff thrown over the fire, next to a stack of 12 potatoes...

Smoke rising towards snuff heaven...

Happy New Year, Patrick.  Grin

Kind Regards,
David

Report Spam   Logged

David

Private Boards

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2015, 06:40:11 pm »

Dear David,
    I think you meant to write "... next to a stack of 12 potato latkes..."  Cheesy
Best,
 Joey

Incense burning in bronze ding...

Pinch of snuff thrown over the fire, next to a stack of 12 potatoes...

Smoke rising towards snuff heaven...

Happy New Year, Patrick.  Grin

Kind Regards,
David

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: