About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 02:41:48 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

A multicolored diasper bottle

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: A multicolored diasper bottle  (Read 1565 times)
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2014, 08:03:45 pm »

I have the feeling that some collectors, collected Chinese arts in the past or concurrently, or would like to collect Chinese arts. But, due to budget (monetary, space/display, knowledge etc....), they might decided to either start here, or shift to here (i.e. moving from a large ranch in Texas to a small apartment in Tokyo!) due to conditions beyond their control, etc...

Hi David,

If my information is correct Bob Stevens started collecting snuff bottles for exactly that reason. He originally collected larger Chinese porcelains, but when he ran out of display space in his home he decided to switch to something smaller.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

David

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2014, 01:31:05 am »

Hi Tom,

Thank you, I found it very neat that I can put 6-8 "snuff bottle" trinkets on my desk to look at and play with from time to time. I can certainly feel the space saving nature of these.  Smiley

David
Report Spam   Logged

David

OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2014, 01:54:53 am »

David,

As a follow-up to Tom's comment, I collect Snuff Bottles also out of space considerations.

The storage of, say, 100 bottles needs only 10 boxes. When stacked up they occupy about the same volume
as a 30" high porcelain vase. Each of carrying bottle s around is another consideration. I used to carry one bottle in my pocket ( a good way to balance my mind when I was in a not-so-interesting business meeting at work ! ), it is very therapeutic to my soul !

Inn Bok
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2014, 02:05:08 am »

I used to carry one bottle in my pocket ( a good way to balance my mind when I was in a not-so-interesting business meeting at work ! ), it is very therapeutic to my soul !

Inn Bok,

I sometimes do the same! But people who don't collect snuff bottles might find it a bit strange, so I don't usually tell anyone!  Wink

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

David

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2014, 02:31:00 am »

Hi Inn Bok and Tom,

Thank you, they are fun to look at and rearrange, I can't figure out with ones I like to look at more on the desk. It kind of shifts with my mood I think.

Wow, thats neat... do you also put snuff in it? I read form Raymond Li or someone else, that some of the very well hollowed agate, amethyst or cotton type crystal bottles needs the snuff to bring out the high relief carvings or natural patterns.

Cheesy Most meetings are so boring as the decisions are usually already made... I like the rounded hulu or floater shape so those are hard/too thin to cary in the pocket. Maybe when I get older, I will copy the portrait bottle you shared, and tie a hulu one to my belt (I actually did that with a pendant for a while, it is one of my favorite worry stone).

David

Report Spam   Logged

David

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2014, 03:03:46 am »

I have to share a funny story with you guys that just happened  to me. A Thai Chinese CEO that I have known for a while  showed up a little bit late for a board meeting that I was attending but he called me out of the room to pre-discuss a common stance on an issue.  He looked all in a hurry but I noticed something 'off' on his face. I told him 'Khun xxxx what do you have on your upper lip under your nose. Did you have a nose bleed? ' It had a red hue .. He told me. Oh my god Pat. Thank you to tell me. It is leftover snuff.  I said to him. 'K. Xxxx. I am a collector of Chinese snuff bottles but besides my grandmother who snuffed as I was a boy I have never met anyone else who snuffed in today's age.'  This is bangkok anno 2014 with one of the wealthiest Thai Chinese. I wonder how many others are lurking out there.....

He told me several of his friends are snuffers. Do you guys know of any ?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 03:51:45 am by Pat » Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2014, 03:41:37 am »

I have to share a funny story with you guys that just happened  to me. A Thai Chinese CEO that I have known for a while  showed up a little bit late for a board meeting that I was attending but he called me out of the room to pre-discuss a common stance on an issue.  He looked all in a hurry but I noticed something 'off' on his face. I told him 'Khun  Piya what do you have on your upper lip under your nose. Did you have a nose bleed? ' It had a red hue .. He told me. Oh my god Pat. Thank you to tell me. It is leftover snuff.  I said to him. 'Piya. I am a collector of Chinese snuff bottles but besides my grandmother who snuffed as I was a boy I have never met anyone else who snuffed in today's age.'  This is bangkok anno 2014 with one of the wealthiest Thai Chinese. I wonder how many others are lurking out there.....

He told me several of his friends are snuffers. Do you guys know of any ?

I love it Pat !

I have played just a little with the snuff... It would be more fun if at least one of my family or friends had even the slightest interest... But when ever I mention it, they give me the strangest looks !
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2014, 04:22:31 am »

Great story Pat!

Yes, I wonder how many secret snuffers are out there.  Apart from in Mongolia, I have never (knowingly, at least) met a snuff taker. I often considered dabbling in it, but worried about getting hooked!

My grandfather once told me an amusing tale about snuffing, which I should put in the 'Joke a Day' thread. I don't think he ever took snuff himself, though it was clearly in use by his generation.
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2014, 12:26:44 pm »

Dear Pat, George and Tom,
     I give out snuff in synagogue all the time.
     Once I put the snuff in a beautiful red overlay on camphor, with a design of qilin dragons (#17 in my 1987 catalogue) and one guy said I shouldn't bring 'idolatrous images' into the synagogue. I said I would throw it out if he did the same to his expensive black silk coat.  It was Chinese shantung silk, and had a black on black brocade design of stylised facing archaistic dragons! He was Ultra-Orthodox and they wear a long black over-robe on Sabbath. He'd not noticed the design before. Or at least not recognised it. 
     I lived a few minutes from the synagogue, and went home and brought back #2 in "Dragon", and showed him he was wearing a garment that was no less 'idolatrous' in image than my snuff bottle.
I then said, "But it was ridiculous when you made the comment, and it is still ridiculous. You aren't worshiping the dragons on your coat, and I'm not worshiping the dragons on my bottle."
     However, from then on I put snuff in plain bottles to forestall hassles.
     Religious Jews who don't light flame on Sabbath, take snuff to get the same nicotine high through the nose as they would through the lungs with cigarettes.
     So Tom and Pat, you know another 'snuffer' outside of Mongolia! I  used to buy snuff in London at Benson & Hedges Tobacconists, but now I buy either in Davidoff's, 35 St. James's; JJ Fox, 19 St. James's;  or Bonds of London, at #330 Oxford St., depending if I'm on St. James's or on Oxford St. I tend to be on Oxford St. more now that Clare Chu is not in St. James's (her second gallery was around the corner from Davidoff's, and close to Christie's King St. salesrooms.), but when Clare Lawrence was located in St. James's, I was there quite a bit. I even almost joined Fox's Club, in the neighbourhood, so I could walk from my digs to Clare's, instead of needing 10 min. in a taxi from the Sloane Club.
Best,
  Joey

« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 03:29:23 am by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2014, 05:12:03 am »

So Tom and Pat, you know another 'snuffer' outside of Mongolia!

Dear Joey,

Well noted!

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2014, 05:04:01 am »

Dear Tom,
    And now, with Patrick Ludwig joining us, there is yet another! You let one in...  Cheesy  Grin
Best,
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey

Dear Pat,
      I want to apologise!
      I got so into telling my story of snuff use, that I forgot to tell you how much I enjoyed your story about the Chinese Thai Tycoon snuff user. Are you going to invite him to see your collection or at least bring some to show him? He might have a serious collection, and be a facinating addition to our 'coterie of collectors'.
      My knowledge of business connections is non-existent. Would that be welcomed or a 'no-no'? I just think in terms of snuff bottles, or food, or   Grin. IE, a pretty one-track mind, depending on whichever track I'm presently on (and at the moment, I am changing tracks from snuff bottles to food! I'm hungry and I wish I was in 'SALT'!  I could easily eat another delicious meal there right now, like that you so kindly treated me to in Bangkok! Almost a pity I'm in Jerusalem.  Grin).
Best,
  Shabbat Shalom,
Joey

Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

cshapiro

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2016, 09:38:32 pm »

Dear Giovanni,

I realize you may not still have this bottle, and you may have solved the mystery a long time ago since this post is two years old, but I am pretty certain that the stone is made of Pietersite. From the pictures I think I can see some blue chatoyancy in the stone.

Pietersite is a variety of Quartz, composed naturally of Tiger's Eye, Hawk's Eye and Jasper, and is characterized by an incredible chatoyancy and brilliance of life within the stone. Its dominant gold hues are contrasted with deep blue-black, grey and brown, as well as occasional clear areas.

This rare gemstone can only be found in two places - in China and in Namibia.

The pietersite from China has beautiful red and gold tones, while the stones from Namibia display more of a dark blue and gold them.

I have one from Namibia that you can see here:
http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/210235-pietersite-snuff-bottle
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2016, 10:52:06 pm »

I think you may have hit the nail on the head Cathy.
Your bottle is a beauty. Why have you never posted it on the Forum?

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

cshapiro

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2016, 11:45:34 pm »

Thanks Tom! I agree that bottle is beautiful! The blue and gold chatoyancy is just amazing - a picture can't do it justice. I need to post a video!
I am quite the rock hound. My very first collection was a rock collection. While my sisters were playing with barbies, I was combing the creek bed for treasures.

The reason I stumbled upon this post was because I was working on another mineral mystery that I've just solved!
I have a bottle that kind of looked like jade but the specific gravity was off - came in at 3.1 and I just figured out it's saussurite! I will post that one because it will help people spot it.

Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2016, 10:15:55 pm »

Hi Cathy,

Yes, I saw your Saussurite thread, and read through the posts. Indeed a sneaky imitator of jade. I've asked Santa for an X-ray diffractor this Christmas.  Wink

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: