About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 17, 2024, 07:27:21 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

A multicolored diasper bottle

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: A multicolored diasper bottle  (Read 1629 times)
David

« on: November 25, 2014, 04:09:08 pm »

Hi Giovanni,

You're welcome.

I have the feeling that some collectors, collected Chinese arts in the past or concurrently, or would like to collect Chinese arts. But, due to budget (monetary, space/display, knowledge etc....), they might decided to either start here, or shift to here (i.e. moving from a large ranch in Texas to a small apartment in Tokyo!) due to conditions beyond their control, etc...

If I ever start to buy again and decided to give auctions a try, then I would like to know the different types of my competitors and if possible avoid competing with the above kind. So, if I start with an area that they find boring, then I don't have to worry (as much) about competing with people who are used to upping bids by the 10,000s...

If I can identify these kind of bidders are interested in something I am interested, then I can save my budget and time on research to a different bottle and let them bid each other out. I think a good strategy for my budget is to rank the lots in a sale, to different categories, then understand the competitors, and then figure out which category within this I should focus on. There can also be other areas to consider, like timing my bids only in mid auction house, when everyone is looking at a Big 3 auction, or buy a category that did poorly in a big 3 sales, etc...

It is kind of like strategizing a mock conflict, but with armies/supplies/events replaced by auction related equivalents.

There is a book "Art of War by Sun-Tze" that is written/interpreted by a lot of scholars that I loved when I was a kid, and we learned how to think of 10-20 scenarios for each sentence and to "mock" apply them. But, I already forgot most of them already  Huh.

That group you mentioned is the one I want to avoid the most, some of them have very deep pockets and if they like something it is bad for the real collectors.

Thank you, I do see your point. It will be hard to identify an area to avoid this kind of opponent.

Kind Regards,
David

Report Spam   Logged

David

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: