About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 12:35:42 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

A multicolored diasper bottle

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: A multicolored diasper bottle  (Read 1635 times)
David

« on: November 24, 2014, 01:57:58 pm »

Hi Giovanni,

I am actually surpassed by this bottle you posted, I was under the impression that you collect porcelain, very well carved, or labor intensive but artful bottles. For hard stone, I would thought you will be more interested in jade or low relief agate/chalcedony.

Not being critical or judging... But very curious, what do you see in this bottle that makes it worthwhile to collect?

To my untrained eyes, it seem to have the shape on photos similar to some mid 1800s hard stone bottles on a few catalogues (but especially Important Chinese Snuff Bottles including a Privte Europen Collection, Sotheby's Hong Kong, Nov 5, 1997- which is a wonderful book to have... it is even hard covered and I love the description it has in chinese... so different from the english...  but I was shocked at the price tag...). But if you say it is modern, then I am even more confused as to why you would purchase it?

Hi George and Tom,

I have a question... if this is quartz, then it is about as hard as jadeite.... Then will it still have age wear that one will see on softer materials?

If they will not have the age wear, and it looks like (photo wise) a mid-18th though of lower grade material, then how do a person go about deciding if it is modern or old?

Thanks,
David
Report Spam   Logged

David

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: