About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 04:16:37 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Single Carved Glass Overlay

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Single Carved Glass Overlay  (Read 4245 times)
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2014, 08:12:55 pm »

Inn Bok,

I have cut-&-pasted the three guiding principles you listed. Golden rules to be remembered. Thank you.

By the way, a beautiful bottle - the composition has good balance and real 'depth'.

Tom
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 08:24:11 pm by Wattana » Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2014, 12:11:52 am »

David,

This are the two extra images as a continuation to the earlier posts.

( due to file size, only one picture at a time ! )

Inn Bok

* IMG_7603.JPG (181.44 KB, 768x1024 - viewed 37 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2014, 12:20:57 am »

David,

Sorry for the resolution and focus.

This bottle is authentic ( 真 )in the sense that the carver left her seal mark at the bottom of the bottle sent out in the earlier post. Incidentally,the carver is the wife of one of the Hebei Inside-painting Master, Zhang Ru Cai ( 张汝财 )。 I bought from her husband when he came to Singapore in the 90's to promote bottles by him and his students. So the overlay bottle was a 20th century piece.

According to Zhang, the glass color belongs to what the Chinese described as ' 藕粉色 ' ( color of lotus powder, literally translated ). i took it as a good translucent glass material.

Inn Bok

* IMG_7601.JPG (168.11 KB, 768x1024 - viewed 40 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2014, 12:43:14 am »

David,

By the way, the seal mark is in the form of a leaf, caved in low relief. It is difficult to capture the image.

Inn Bok
Report Spam   Logged

David

« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2014, 03:00:10 am »

Hello Inn Bok,

Incredible modern craftsmanship from them working together (if they did).

Thank you for the additional photos, they are fine. Glass is so hard to take a photo of.

The cow herder is unnecessary and floats, in my opinion. I do enjoy the other 2 sides a lot.

Thank you for showing me another way to think of real/authentic/真. I need to consider this kind of real after I collect a small (3-9) first set of "of the period real". I want to have something that links to my roots and upbringing. I do not think I can feel this "link" with an item that I know or suspect is modern day work post 1920s.

It will be nice to have a small set of nice modern day bottle for everyday use, as a latter addition.

The bottle ground's texture/color looks so nice. Just like a couple shown in Steven's book.

Thank you and Best Regards,
David

Report Spam   Logged

David

David

« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2014, 12:19:02 pm »

Hello Inn Bok,

After a night's sleep, I just realized that you also taught/reinforce to me a couple more lessons.

1) Must check all sides/angle when looking at a bottle in detail, and add an additional 3 second glance for each side.

2) Need to be very suspicious when there are too many combination of styles and/or elements.

3) Never buy a bottle that have no trustworthy provenance (or advice) without handling it.

Thank you, this will help me a lot in the future.

Grateful Regards,
David
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 12:21:19 pm by David » Report Spam   Logged

David

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2014, 02:57:52 pm »

Dear David,
    These are definitely rules to collect by!
Joey

Hello Inn Bok,

After a night's sleep, I just realized that you also taught/reinforce to me a couple more lessons.

1) Must check all sides/angle when looking at a bottle in detail, and add an additional 3 second glance for each side.

2) Need to be very suspicious when there are too many combination of styles and/or elements.

3) Never buy a bottle that have no trustworthy provenance (or advice) without handling it.

Thank you, this will help me a lot in the future.

Grateful Regards,
David
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

David

« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2014, 06:29:12 pm »

Dear Joey,

Greatest thing is thanks to Inn Bok, I do not need to pay to have this beaten into me!  Smiley

David
Report Spam   Logged

David

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2014, 03:01:54 am »

Dear Inn Bok,

Happy holidaying in Perth and thanks to your 3 words-真精美 journey of collections.

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2014, 07:57:57 am »

It is rather hot during the day here in Perth. But evening is cooling though.

It is my first time all these years to spend Christmas in Australia. Usually I came over here during other seasons.

Inn Bok
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2014, 11:49:52 am »

Yes, David. But you can also spend 10 or even 20 seconds looking at a detail.  Cheesy
Hell, go for a minute!  Wink 
 Remember: SPEND TIME, AND SAVE MONEY!   Wink
(Or spend even more money!)   Wink Grin
Best,
  Joey

Dear Joey,

Greatest thing is thanks to Inn Bok, I do not need to pay to have this beaten into me!  Smiley

David
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

David

« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2014, 01:54:33 pm »

Dear Joey,

Duly noted, 
SPEND TIME, AND SAVE MONEY

adding a corollary "Spend time, better bottles that one won't regret"

Wink you won't believe the amount of time and equipment I spend on looking at or understanding a detail you pointed out!

Mirthfully,
David
Report Spam   Logged

David

David

« Reply #72 on: December 22, 2014, 07:46:37 pm »

Hi Steven,

I just received a cable to mirror my notebook to my desktop, so I can run on notebook and view on the desktop monitor in full definition. Now I am able to see up close the red overlay you posted.  Shocked Was I surprised!

It is incredible! No wonder you rate it 9/9. I love the shading of the pine leaves and branches... and everything else, I count at least 3 nice layers of overlay glass thickness!

Very impressed,
David
Report Spam   Logged

David

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #73 on: December 22, 2014, 10:24:50 pm »

Dear all,

Attached is a green overlay glass on snowflake/camphor ground. Family of chicken with 10 chicks.

I am quite sure it is an overlay rather than an applique as mentioned by Joey looking at picture 2 under the stem of the bamboo. The overlay carving dug into the base glass more than 20% leaving the whole bottle with many minute holes from all the air bubbles.

One surprise though is the four character Qianlong NianZhi mark. It wasn't mentioned during the sale or in the one picture I got.

Any comments or dating is very welcome. Thank you.

Cheers,
YT

* GO chicken 1.jpg (47.89 KB, 510x315 - viewed 23 times.)

* GO chicken 2.jpg (83.49 KB, 510x681 - viewed 16 times.)

* GO chicken 3.jpg (102.31 KB, 453x605 - viewed 17 times.)

* GO chicken 4.jpg (85.63 KB, 453x605 - viewed 24 times.)

* GO chicken 5.jpg (94.05 KB, 453x605 - viewed 24 times.)

* GO chicken 6.jpg (92.65 KB, 453x605 - viewed 28 times.)

* GO chicken 7.jpg (52.8 KB, 449x358 - viewed 17 times.)

* GO chicken 8.jpg (51.16 KB, 450x343 - viewed 21 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

David

« Reply #74 on: December 23, 2014, 01:45:35 am »

Dear YT,

This is easy!  Grin I just need a 0.1 second glance check, and say totally agree with Joey! Even someone as stubborn as I, knows not to "gamble" on the 0.01% chance that he is wrong. Especially when the material is glass   Cheesy !

But, kidding aside. I will take a look later tomorrow to see if I can figure out why Joey sees it as appliqué. I kind of used my eyes too hard today staring at that red overlay Steven posted, and some photos of jade in the book George posted.

Does the 4 character mark look warped? Like if you take a chocolate slice with pattern, heat it up and then place it on an edge of a flatten bottle shape. Then the words on the flat side will be "correct", while the ones that falls on the edge will look warped.  Kind of like those photo lithographed (photo enhanced bottle), where the sides will transfer as stretched out.

By the way, do you mean 10 chicks+ a hen and rooster? If yes, then I don't think it fits any rebus with chicken that I know of.

Kind Regards,
David
Report Spam   Logged

David

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #75 on: December 23, 2014, 10:59:56 am »

YT,

Yes, this is a layered green (cut cameo) on a snowflake ground/body.  It does appear to have a hen, a roaster, and 10 chicks as you indicate, nice 'rock and bamboo' and 'rock and something(?)' side panels, and of course an etched Qianlong seal mark.  I seen a number of these bottles over the years and all were of good quality.  Speculating a bit, it appears to be a style of glass overlay design that were, and maybe still made, from about 1970s onward.  I would speculate also that this style of bottle was coming from a single manufacturing arcade (facility) and it would be interesting to find out its location.   There is enough variety in the designs produced that this would make a interesting theme collection.

Charll   
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #76 on: December 23, 2014, 02:50:46 pm »

Nice bottle YT.. Everything appears to have been very nicely ground, sanded and polished..  Would agree closely with Charll that it is likely post 1950..

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
YT
Private Boards

« Reply #77 on: December 23, 2014, 05:31:58 pm »

Dear Charll and George,

Thank you for looking through. I like the carving work and thought that it was early 20th, just didn't expect the glass workshops to be so good in the 1970s.

I will look around for the other designs, I did buy them in a group but most of them looks quite badly made. Is this the batch of bottles that will crizzle and crack later?

Thanks again.

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #78 on: December 23, 2014, 05:38:28 pm »

But, kidding aside. I will take a look later tomorrow to see if I can figure out why Joey sees it as appliqué. I kind of used my eyes too hard today staring at that red overlay Steven posted, and some photos of jade in the book George posted.

Does the 4 character mark look warped? Like if you take a chocolate slice with pattern, heat it up and then place it on an edge of a flatten bottle shape. Then the words on the flat side will be "correct", while the ones that falls on the edge will look warped.  Kind of like those photo lithographed (photo enhanced bottle), where the sides will transfer as stretched out.
Dear David,

I can imagine your eyes working too hard. Grin
Joey did not see this bottle yet. I'm just writing about the 'appliqué' term he mentioned previously.
The QianLong four character mark looks to be nicely carved.

Thanks.

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

David

« Reply #79 on: December 23, 2014, 07:19:24 pm »

Dear YT,

Thank you for clarifying, somehow I misunderstood your original posting Cheesy.

I did looked at it some more, and wasn't able to figure out why  Grin That is too funny, I almost convinced my self that all gouges next to the overlay and the area where base is a little higher under the overlay are all made to look like overlay! Or that this is a mixed overlay + appliqué for the fine details...

Kind Regards,
David
Report Spam   Logged

David

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: