About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 06:43:52 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Single Carved Glass Overlay

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: Single Carved Glass Overlay  (Read 4235 times)
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2016, 06:54:16 pm »

Dear Paul,

I was going to state that auction prices had no connection, but then realised that while individual items might have no relation, if one takes all the Jade bottles in an auction, adds up the total value and divides it by the number of Jade bottles, that does contribute to the accepted value of a type.

Many times, retail prices are higher than the auction prices plus commission, but not always. Sometimes, a dealer is adversely affected by cash-flow or has a chance to acquire a fine collection and needs funds quickly; or other issues, such as friendship, or having got the object at a better price, and passing on the savings, contributes to a better price for the buyer. And don't forget that most if not all dealers are collectors at heart, and may be led by their hearts to 'help' a serious collector get something he really loves, at the expense of higher profits. It has happened to me a number of times, so I know it happens. And read the Stefan Zweig short story I posted in The Lounge.

If you were to combine the prices charged by private dealers; the auction hammer prices plus commission; and collectors' guesstimates of a specific type; and divide the price by the number of bottles sold, you will get a good average price of a snuff bottle.

I'm not sure it is possible to get more exact than this.
Best Wishes,
Shabbat Shalom,
Best,
Joey

Hello Joey,

Thank you so much for your early reply.

Although I understand what you are saying, can you equate for me whether the auction price including the commission, or the auction price without the commission, or the retail price would be the closest to your 'accepted market value' or your agreed 'scale' of value. Or does the agreed 'scale' of value among veteran snuff bottle collectors fall below or higher than the examples I have given.

Also does the 20%+ relate to the love of the item or is it solely the investment over time factor?

Sorry to labour the point, but I need to understand the levels at which veteran snuff bottle collectors operate at to know whether I would be paying the right amount.

Kind regards,

Shabbat Shalom,

Paul.

Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: