About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 05:58:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Whew.... !

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Whew.... !  (Read 2279 times)
David

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2014, 12:01:56 pm »

3 more left from 3 different sellers on Amazon. The most expensive one from Global Village Book in Hawaii, listed for 35 and have an inscription from you on 12/1/1990 or 1/12/1990.
David
Report Spam   Logged

David

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2014, 11:11:26 pm »

You are sharp! It is the 1987 one. I purchased it from Wonderbook that have a storefront on Amazon, they are in the DC/Metro area.

There are 3 more copies left, and one of them even have your inscriptions (the most expensive one).

Dear Joey,

I should have let you sign that copy you gave me in Bangkok!   Grin

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

David

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2014, 11:45:12 pm »

Hi Tom,

It actually crossed my mind to get that one, but I figured I'll save 22 to buy another book instead.  Cheesy   

I want to thank you again for pointing me to get some Important .... Catalogues. So, far only 3 came (including Joey's Museum one), and they are a great eye opener. There does seem to be a difference between the Asian collector versus American collector when I consider the books. But, not ready to let my mind go free yet  Cheesy.

It's like having an early Christmas, every day there is 1 to 3 books or catalogue.

David
Report Spam   Logged

David

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2014, 11:57:33 pm »

Hi David,

That was an inside joke from me to Joey. He generously gave me the book when we met recently, and offered to sign it, then said that because he signed most of his books, a "clean" copy was more scarce and therefore more valuable. So he DIDN'T sign my copy.  Sad

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2014, 11:58:47 pm »

It's like having an early Christmas, every day there is 1 to 3 books or catalogue.

Every day I get something in the mail related to snuff bottles, it is always like Christmas !  
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
YT
Private Boards

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2014, 12:19:05 am »

Envy!! Hope my Christmas come soon  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

David

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2014, 01:35:17 am »

Hi Tom,

Did he really said that? That is too funny  Grin

That must be one of the few times that he was wrong.

My copy 12, the other 2 unsigned are 20 and 25. The signed is 35.

Next time when you see him, need to get his signature and maybe a drawing of a snuff bottle. Lol  Cheesy

Hi George and YT,

It is quite fun, to open the door and see a package of book or trinket (in the past). Maybe that is why I like the cheap trinkets so much  Grin

David
Report Spam   Logged

David

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2014, 07:53:24 am »

Dear David,
   I found one on Amazon for USD 100, unsigned! I thought that is the dearest price for one. I didn't know they were available for USD 20± !  Whoops!
   But I know that I have given away over 1000 over the years, possibly closer to two thousand! (I gave 700 to the  Israel Museum, to sell for USD 10 each, so they were within people's reach; and 300 to the Honolulu Academy of Arts, when I had a show there; and must have distributed 1,000 + myself.).
   I have 30 copies left in Israel, and another 70-80 in Ireland.
   I have to correct a quote I gave Richard for my catalogues.
Best,
 Joey

3 more left from 3 different sellers on Amazon. The most expensive one from Global Village Book in Hawaii, listed for 35 and have an inscription from you on 12/1/1990 or 1/12/1990.
David
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2014, 08:05:10 am »

Yes Joey,
I have to say thank you too for my copy. I'm just looking at the dragons book and learning to see b&w in another new light.
Previously I bought a few fakes and didn't like them at all.

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2014, 08:31:38 am »

Inkplay in Microcosm: Inside-Painted Snuff Bottles, the Humphrey K. F. Hui Collection

This one arrived yesterday.. What a nice book ! 

I had seen part of Peter Lam's info about Gan Xuan within an October 2002 Arts of Asia magazine, but this book goes into much more detail..

Although not the artists I was thinking about when trying to find an IP artist who also painted outside the IP medium. I was surprised to see that Ding Erzhong was not only an IP artist, but also painted scrolls, carved seals, bamboo, ivory, and inkstones.. Some beautiful examples..

Ze Zhongsan also drew, or at least sketched..There is an album that belonged to him, and shows several beautiful pages/leafs from it.

An extra nice book, and thrilled to finally have a copy ! 
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
David

« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2014, 12:34:07 pm »

Hi Joey,

That is so neat, to have something like that to gift out.

Wink I must had lucked out on meeting a nice seller that charged me the price he most likely had paid.

David
Report Spam   Logged

David

David

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2014, 01:00:04 pm »

Hi George,

I like your new portrait picture of that nice bottle you found.

Let's see...

Important Chinese Snuff Bottles Coll. of Alice B. McReynolds part II, 1985
I like seeing these older bottles with some price info for the timeframe.

Important Chinese Snuff Bottles Coll. of Stone Picking Studio, 1995
This one I really like, most of the bottles here are beautiful.
Especially the suhzhou chalcedony agates... can't even imagine how much one will cost now... Page 48-49, 20k-30k english pounds in 1995!
A very nice feature of this one, is that it have some top/bottom photo and maker's mark.

Chinese Snuff Bottles from the collection of....Marquess of Exeter, Hugh Moss
I like the information Hugh Moss wrote, and it is neat to have a nice collection by the Doctor from that long ago documented, and in a book. But the black and white photos are "killing" me! Some of the most beautiful bottles like E.16, G. 116, E.27 ... is in black and white!!!  But... at 20 dollars, I can't complain...

The Mustard Seed Manual, translated by Sze
I left it in my car so I can read when waiting for my kids.
But, I can't move beyond the section on 6 canons, 6 keys, 6 points, and 12?13 big no of painting. I already reread that 3 times, and each time something new clicked. Now I understand why I was so entranced by one of my elder's scroll of paintings and calligraphies. And if my feeling is right, it will let me have a better idea why I just like the clean simple look that feels alive (or have chi).

I try to skim and read some of the chinese words, it is odd, I can almost swear some of it sounds more like how to practice martial arts then painting.

I have a feeling this one will be a great book for me. But, it is one of those book that you have to read very very slowly to appreciate.

Too bad there is no inter"port"... nice if we can swap books physically over the internet  Cheesy

David
Report Spam   Logged

David

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2014, 06:54:16 pm »

The Art of the Chinese Snuff Bottle: The J & J Collection

This arrived today.. I do not even know where to start for describing what a wonderful set of books this is !!

So happy I decided to get these...  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2014, 09:29:37 am »

Dear George,
    J & J is, to my mind, the greatest collection formed in the last 200 years. Superb bottles, a collection carefully collected, bottle bottle, over 3 or even 4 generations (Jimmy and the late Julie Li's grandfathers and fathers all collected snuff bottles, and possibly great grandfathers, as well.).

Unlike the huge Bloch collection, amassed by a rich, ignorant, businessman without culture or breeding, who threw money at a small group of dealers, and bought himself a sh-tload of bottles, but could not have told you why one 'only' cost USD 10K and the other, 100K... and never tried to learn more, even after 20 years of 'collecting'.

There is nothing wrong with spending one's money to collect. G-D Knows, that's how I have done it.  But I and most others, including the Lis, have invested great time and effort, as well as cash, in studying this wonderful microcosm of Chinese Arts from the Qing Dynasty.

And it shows in the J & J Collection.
Enjoy this wonderful collection if only through the pages of the book.
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

joearp
Private Boards

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2014, 06:39:33 am »

George where did you order the J+J Collection Book? You may have said earlier but i don't see.  I want to order one to study.
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2014, 10:10:37 am »

George where did you order the J+J Collection Book? You may have said earlier but i don't see.  I want to order one to study.

I found it on Amazon.. http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-Chinese-Snuff-Bottle/dp/0834802899
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
joearp
Private Boards

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2014, 04:26:52 pm »

Thanks George!
Report Spam   Logged

David

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2014, 10:46:54 pm »

Hi George,

As I was reading Steven's book, a small insert (1/3 page)  fell out. I am posting it here incase if you or others do not have it. Whomever owned my book really took good care of it. This is the first time, I see a book this thickness where the owner seems to have prefolded each page to the front or back before reading.

Insert for page Xiii

Bottle Sizes. With only a few exceptions. the photos show bottles in approximately actual size. The significant exceptions are:

Larger then actual size: 186, 224, 415, 429, 446, 478, 496, 554-56, 670, 738, 760, 762, 770, 799, 800, 802, 803, 944

Smaller than actual size: 180, 189-91, 395, 412, 480, 686, 761, 763, 787, 921-25

You guys are right, this is a great book too. Story point of view, Perry's is better. But, technical point of view, I love this one (and the photos!).  It actually also got me thinking about Qing history more.

David

Report Spam   Logged

David

joearp
Private Boards

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2014, 12:44:02 pm »

David. I think the Stevens Book is a wonderful resource .  I refer back to it often.   George I just ordered the J&J Book.  Thanks for the source as it saved a few dollars.
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2014, 03:35:11 pm »

George I just ordered the J&J Book.  Thanks for the source as it saved a few dollars.

Excellent, and congrats on adding such a wonderful resource to your library !
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: