About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 10:33:00 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Can anyone ID this label?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can anyone ID this label?  (Read 838 times)
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« on: November 16, 2014, 05:03:28 pm »

Dear David,
    I was once told that there are no stupid questions, just stupid answers. When I was told this, I asked, "What if a person were in a burning house and able to escape easily, and he asked another person if they should escape or wait for the firemen to help them?" The teacher agreed that this would be a stupid question, but more likely, a stupid person, and it might be better if he didn't pass on his 'stupidity' gene!

Anyway, the Christian Bible, with which you may be familiar, is comprised of two collections of books: The Old Testament and The New Testament.

The proper name of the first collection is The Hebrew Bible.  It is the Bible given by G-D to the People of Israel, also called the Jewish People (Yutai-ren, in Pinyin).

In the third book of the Hebrew Bible, called 'Leviticus' in Latin and in English (called 'VaYikra' in Hebrew), there are dietary laws Given By G-D to His People Israel. Amongst the many prohibitions are eating pork products or shellfish.

We are permitted to eat mammals with two conditions: they must chew their cud (ie, have two stomachs), and have cloven hooves.  A pig has cloven hooves, but doesn't chew it's cud. So it is forbidden. Why, is a bit complicated. The simple answer is that it is because G-D Commanded us.

From the water, we may eat any animal which has scales and fins while alive. Thus, fish such as trout or salmon or seabass is fine, but not shellfish or eels, etc.

Hope this helps. We've been discussing it for almost 3,500 years, so I can expand on it if you'd like...
Best,
 Joey

Hi Joey,

That's funny  Cheesy.

The Jewish people don't eat pork? I hope this don't sound too stupid... why?

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the suggestion, I started to look for impotent bottle catalogue and found a few under 30 so I purchased them. It will be kind of scattered, but I think enough for my current purpose.

There is a photo of a blue/white bowl on page 223 of Hidden Meaning in Chinese Art, by Batholomew.  The character for 10,000 (on your left when looking at the picture), looks kind of like the character you posted. It is not exactly the same, but since there are many many ways to write a chinese character, could that be another possibility?

David
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: