About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 01:15:23 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Snuff bottle or Light bulb?

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Snuff bottle or Light bulb?  (Read 1547 times)
Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2014, 12:02:11 pm »

Dear Joey,
family names ending with “s” in Italy are relatively rare. Most of our family names are ending with “i” letter. That is because they largely stem from notary’s formulas which were written in Latin, in which eg. such a Pietro son of Martino was listed as Petrus filius Martini (genitive), and then "filius" eventually disappeared. Or was intended as Pietro of Martini (hence the plural). Other names, such as those derived from place names, were then treated to others in termination: thus, in Lombardia, from the place Inzago belongs the family name Inzaghi, or from Galbiate the family name Galbiati, from Turate Turati, etc.
The end of the names is typical of some regions. For example, in Veneto most family names are ending in “ato”, for example Rizzato, Marcato, etc. Most of the names ending in “u” are from the Sardinia island (Cuccureddu, Pintu, Porceddu, etc.)
I think that the following site, with the list of Hebrews family’s names in Italy, may be of your interest:
http://www.retaggio.it/onomastica/ebrei/
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2014, 12:10:38 pm »

Dear Giovanni,
     I didn't know that.
     I looked at the Italian Jewish (Ebreo) surnames, and was amazed at the number, especially of Eastern European names. I had assumed most Italian Jews had Italian surnames, since they are mainly of centuries-long (and some, millennia-long) residence in Italy.
  Thank you,
   Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

David

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2014, 01:59:50 pm »

Hi Joey, Yt and Giovanni,

I think as I absorb the books I ordered (I actually doubled the knowledge budget and followed Tom's suggestion and also ordered some catalog of Important Bottles that are on sale under 30), I will come more firmly to where you view snuff bottles.

It think- I early on-, made a statement that I looked through thousands of listing to purchase the 30-40 odd items I bought. The things I bought may or may not be real snuff bottles (depending on your view), but to the level of my understanding at that time. They look nice and are reasonable for me. (And I totally agree, most of my things are not comparable to what the people of this forum collects. But, I still have 10+ more that I would post. So, maybe there is something good that I actually got.)

I meant that quite literally, I will not be surprised if I looked more than 10,000 listings.

If you see the junks on Etsy, than one point to consider is that I avoided most of those "high" priced junks and ended with some trinkets (which are nice in my opinion for the price I paid... No worries Giovanni, I won't be buying more till I gain more knowledge).  Grin

A question, I thought I set my account setting so that if there are replies to my post or topic that I will get a email notice. Is this functional?

Best Regards,
David

Report Spam   Logged

David

Private Boards

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2014, 05:06:02 pm »

Dear David,
    As to your last question, I am a total computer illiterate, so please don't ask me. Wink Grin
Best,
   Joey
Report Spam   Logged

David

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2014, 10:14:15 pm »

Hi Joey,

Wink I think I figured that out long ago when reading the threads and seeing you complaining about resizing photos and upload photos.

It seems to work now. I guess I needed to post something after setting the switches to enable it.

David
Report Spam   Logged

David

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2014, 04:11:00 am »

David, I checked your settings and they look good.. So yes, you should be getting notifications..
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Private Boards

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2014, 07:11:20 am »

Dear David,
    I LOVE getting feedback immediately, on the internet.  But I would have preferred to write out things longhand. Or better yet, engage a personal secretary to do it for me.  Wink
Best,

Report Spam   Logged

David

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2014, 11:54:19 am »

Thank you, George.

Lol Joey! It is more fun to type it on the net, you get feedbacks of agreement or disagreement immediately and can adjust your thinking on the fly.

David
Report Spam   Logged

David

Private Boards

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2014, 02:26:00 pm »

Yes, David, but I have a minor case of Asperger's Syndrome, and don't do well 'thinking on the fly'.
Best,
 Joey

Thank you, George.

Lol Joey! It is more fun to type it on the net, you get feedbacks of agreement or disagreement immediately and can adjust your thinking on the fly.

David
Report Spam   Logged

David

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2014, 07:17:56 pm »

Wink I have numerous time needing to correct myself after letting my mind and typing run free. So, when it is too complex or important, I had learned to stop and do my research too. Sometimes, I even sleep on it for a night before responding.

Everyone thinks differently (Giovanni and I might be total opposite...), but as long as the final conclusion is sound then they are equally fine.

Kind Regards,
David
Report Spam   Logged

David

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: