About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 20, 2024, 09:58:11 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

HELP NEEDED!!!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP NEEDED!!!  (Read 624 times)
Eridani
« on: October 25, 2014, 04:37:53 pm »

Any information would be a great help, age, artist what it's worth and helpful resources for a new collector thanks Sarah xxx

* 20141014_132641_resized_1.jpg (216.03 KB, 1032x580 - viewed 51 times.)

* 20141014_132718_resized_1.jpg (188.55 KB, 1032x580 - viewed 36 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 05:40:41 pm »

Hello and welcome Eridani !

Your bottles are contemporary tourist bottles.. Quite common, and sadly not much value..

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 11:48:33 pm »

Hi Sarah,

Firstly, welcome to the forum. You have found the best place (in fact the ONLY place) on the internet dedicated to snuff bottle discussion!

Secondly, I have to agree with George. But don't get disheartened. We have all gone through this kind of learning curve with our first few bottle purchases. The important thing is to learn from it, and move on. The more bottles you look at (and handle, if possible) the better your eye will get at spotting quality.

Above all, enjoy the hunt for new and better bottles!

All best,
Tom

PS: Helpful resources - books and auction catalogues will give you a head start. There are now many more publications on snuff bottles than 10-20 years ago. You can also search free online auction details from some of the bigger auction houses like Sotheby's, Christie's, and Bonham's. Don't bother with eBay (mostly over-priced fakes and junk bottles).
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 11:56:15 pm by Wattana » Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 04:02:02 am »

Dear Sarah,
     Welcome from me as well.
 I agree with the others. You can expect these to be worth less than US$10 each. That is ten US dollars each, max.
Best,
Joey
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 10:57:57 pm by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Eridani
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 04:37:45 am »

Thanks guys that's not such bad news to me as I paid less than £5 but it's good to know that their very modern. I'm also glad to  have finally found somewhere that's helpful regards Sarah xxxx
Report Spam   Logged
joearp
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 07:55:47 am »

Welcome Sarah... You will learn much from this group.  As you look at photos of fine quality bottles you will develop an eye for quality.  I think that early mistakes...ones that are not too costly...help train your eye when you see a bottle of worth.  Happy hunting and again welcome to the Forum!
Report Spam   Logged

MikeChina

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 06:07:55 pm »

I agree with George.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: