About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 09:09:37 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Joey and Peter in HK

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Joey and Peter in HK  (Read 679 times)
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« on: October 18, 2014, 10:33:12 am »

Hi All  Smiley

I met  Joey  today  in HK  for the   first  time and   he  came  back to my  home  for  a  truly   long and wonderful  afternoon of  non-stop  IPB  talk.

I look  forward to   many happy returns   with him   this  coming  week during the  conference and  forever  after.  A  truly  great  friend.

Particularly  interesting  was that,  although  our   respective bottle  collecting  "areas"   have  relatively  little   overlap (  only Chinese characters,  goldfish,  black-&-white   landscapes) , Joey   zeroed  in immediately  on  some of my  bottles  which  I  consider  to be  the  most exceptional for  one  reason  or  another. And that   was  not because  of  price  or  artist  fame : it  was  because  of  unusual-ness.

I attach   a   happy  pic  of  us   with my  wife   Cheesy

Cheers
Peter

* R0010187.JPG (15.53 KB, 320x213 - viewed 53 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 11:31:43 am »

Dear Peter,
    I want to thank you again for a most enjoyable Shabbat afternoon!
Viewing the bottles was great, and I enjoyed seeing  quite a few of the colourful landscapes as well as your favourite carp bottle, but I saw many bottles that I would have enjoyed viewing more closely, if the whole view of over 300 bottles  had not overwhelmed my ability to see the trees for the forest.  Real sensory overload! But awe inspiring.
      Your two all-calligraphy bottles are amazing, but I preferred the carp bottle and the colourful landscape bottle with the pavilions and houses, and also the wonderful landscape painting in your front hall.
Best,
 Joey
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 02:40:48 am by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 07:10:22 pm »

Excellent !!
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 08:34:59 pm »

Peter,
The photo of Joey with you and Bing Bing kind of brings back the ' de jevu 'feeling !!
This is the first time I see Joey face as well.

I am in Beijing now and going to Harbin.
Business meeting still coming Wednesday before returning
to Singapore on Thursday.

InnBok
Report Spam   Logged

joearp
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 12:55:34 pm »

Glad you had a wonderful meeting!  Enjoy the friendship and the bottles that brought you together. 
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 07:38:01 pm »

Yes, between bottles and food, we are having a great time!   Grin    Wink
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 08:40:22 pm »

Enjoy guys... wish I was there.... 
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 08:55:33 pm »

Dear Inn Bok,
     Are there any Jewish buildings ( Synagogues or other buildings with Hebrew  calligraphy inscriptions) still in Harbin? There used to be a substantial ( for China!) Jewish community there. I believe that Russian Jews made up the majority, but from the 1930s to 1945, refugees from the Nazis also took refuge there. Thanks to China, about 100K Jews survived the Holocaust; not a huge number when you think of the almost 7 million Jews murdered, but every human life is precious and of value.
Joey

Peter,
The photo of Joey with you and Bing Bing kind of brings back the ' de jevu 'feeling !!
This is the first time I see Joey face as well.

I am in Beijing now and going to Harbin.
Business meeting still coming Wednesday before returning
to Singapore on Thursday.

InnBok
Report Spam   Logged

OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 04:41:41 am »

Joey,

Sorry for not responding earlier. Since I came back to Singapore, I have to attend two family matters. My 90-year old dad was admitted to hospital when I was in Harbin ( thank God he is discharged today, the doctor cleared his infection ). My brother-in-law was also in another hospital, but he did not pull through. He passed on last Sunday and we just sent him off his last journey here on earth this morning.

In Harbin, I did not have a chance to move around to see much. The locals did tell me of the presence of a Jewsih cemetry still. Yes, many Jews escaped to Harbin during the time of Stalin ( circa 1918 /19 ). Before that, I thought Shanghai was the only city where Jews escaped to during WW II, transitted there before they moved on to the USA.

By the way, which are the days you have committed your appointments in Singapore ( Richard and I will have a meal with you as arranged by him ). WOnder if you would like to meet up with some of colleagues in the Nanyang Group of snuff bottle collectors ( they collected mainly IPB ). Please let me know.

regards,

Inn Bok ( my mobile in Singapore is +65 9735 6565 )
Report Spam   Logged

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 07:20:35 am »

Dear Inn Bok,
I want to express you and your family my sincere condolences.
Kind regards
Giovanni

Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 09:45:14 am »

Dear Inn Bok,

I am sorry to hear of your recent loss. I too send you and your family my sincere condolences.

Regards,
Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 11:05:39 am »

Dear Inn Bok,
     I was happy to hear of your father's improvement and saddened to hear of your family's loss. May you all be consoled by G-D and know no more sorrow.
     I will contact you re.times I'm free in Singapore.

Tonight I met Pat in Bangkok, we had a delicious meal together, and then I went to see his collection. He has some wonderful all calligraphy bottles (I saw 27, but he assures me he has more!) by Li Ruchen, Meng Dehao, and Nie Lei; interestingly, the three calligraphers who Guo Jie (Jill) and Li Hui recommended to me for the all calligraphy bottles I'm commissioning. Pat's collection is truly impressive. His Middle period bottles are also very good, and then I saw the agate, etc. I must confess, my travels caught up with me, and I started to yawn, and, after thanking Pat for  his wonderful hospitality, I went home to the Sukhothai Hotel, the superb hotel Tom had recommended.
Best to all,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 11:42:43 am »

Dear Inn Bok, So very happy that your Dad is back home, and sincere condolences to you and family for the loss of your brother..
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 11:46:31 am »

Inn Bok

Mixed feelings for your family' s recent events and condolences...sometimes we can not explain why things happen the way they do.  Stay strong...
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2014, 02:52:12 pm »

Dear Inn Bok,

So sorry to hear your loss, I just lost my grandma this summer, I can feel you now. Like Pat said" stay strong.."

I too send you and your family my sincere condolences.

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 08:20:31 pm »

Dear all,

Thank you for your condolences. I appreciate them very much.

Joey,

See you in Singapore.

Inn Bok
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: