About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 06:36:52 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Autumn River Boating

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Autumn River Boating  (Read 863 times)
wgeoff
Private Boards

« on: October 08, 2014, 07:30:31 pm »

I haven't posted any bottles for some time so I thought I would take this chance before Pat starts up again (soon, he tells me)

I worked in a trip to Shenzhen yesterday while travelling in the Hong Kong north, and visited the small inside painted bottle shop I first went to about two months ago.
I chose this bottle (can never resist buying at least one), not the greatest but I really liked the design, the painting quality is quite good and the price was very reasonable

I think it's called Spring River Boating, painted in 2013 by ? Hua - presumably a young, female artist.
Any more info?

One more thing, the lighting of my photos has improved incredibly since getting advice from Tom's daughter who photographed all of Pat's bottles.

Geoff
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 02:40:41 am by wgeoff » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 07:57:45 pm »

Dear Geoff,

Very beautiful bottle, I like the design as well.

It should be called" Fall River boating" if I read it right. the artist is "Ze hua" who I never heard of.

No matter who is the artist, a truly beautiful bottle.

Thanks for sharing.

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 08:49:32 pm »

Beautiful bottle indeed !

Congratulations.. !

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 10:28:15 pm »

Geoff

Like the painting style ... nice acquisition!
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 01:02:13 am »

Dear Geoff,
    Very sweet subject, well painted. If I have any critique, it is that the calligraphy let's down the painting.
Best,
  Joey
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 08:48:42 am by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

wgeoff
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 05:31:05 am »

Thanks All

I've changed the name to Autumn River Boating, thanks Steven.
But what's this word 'Fall'? My Oxford dictionary says 'move downwards without control'.

I agree with Joey that the calligraphy is not the best, but I bought it for the design.
Hopefully Ms Ze Hua will get better as she gets more experience. In my imagination, she's a stunning 20 year old!

Geoff
Report Spam   Logged

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 07:05:10 am »

Dear Geoff,

Very adept name for 秋江泊舟.
The scenery makes me want to visit and enjoy the autumn.

Cheers,
YT

Ps, ZeHua most prob is a male name.
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 08:51:26 am »

Dear Geoff,
    'Fall' is American for Autumn. Grin
As in the key to changing the clock for summer time etc: "Spring forward/ Fall back".
'Spring forward/ Autumn back'  wouldn't be as catchy...  Wink
Best,
  Joey

Dear Geoff,

Very beautiful bottle, I like the design as well.

It should be called" Fall River boating" if I read it right. the artist is "Ze hua" who I never heard of.

No matter who is the artist, a truly beautiful bottle.

Thanks for sharing.

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 10:28:57 am »

Geoff,

If given the opportunity I too would have purchased this bottle.  Excellent addition!  It has a wonderful natural landscape with subtle details, good color palette, and is proportioned nicely (example, the house in the background in relation to the people in on the river).  Thanks for sharing this one.

Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 06:59:26 pm »

Hi  Geoff

Nice  bottle !

How much  did you  pay , as a matter  of  interest?

Cheers
Peter
Report Spam   Logged

wgeoff
Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2014, 05:39:47 am »

Rmb 1000
Report Spam   Logged

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2014, 05:43:34 am »

Wow! Good buy Geoff
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2014, 05:52:30 am »

Easily worth that price !
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
wgeoff
Private Boards

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2014, 06:07:50 pm »

Thanks All

Value is a very subjective thing but I knew I had got this one right when my wife approved!

Geoff
Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014, 01:35:01 pm »

Hi Geoff

At  RMB 1,000  that's a    gift !

My bet is  that the  artist  "Ze Hua"  泽 华  is  an up-coming  new  Ji  School  artist   who  is using this  pen name  on a    temporary   basis  as  he ( she)  builds  up  skills.

Later  this   artist  will blossom  out

Your  bottle  bears  an  uncanny   resemblance on one side  to  a  prime  Song Yiming  bottle  I bought  in about  2008 (which  may  - in turn  - have been  based  on a  famous  "canvas"  traditional  painting)  .  Next time  we meet  please   bring   your  new bottle  and    let's  compare  it  with my SYM  and you will  see  what I mean.

One of  the  fun things  in collecting  VMIPBs  is to   spot  talent  early  on  and  buy  some  of   the  artist's  student  works , and then   follow  the  progress  of the  artist.   I did this  a couple  of times  so far,  first   with   Zhang Limin  and  now,  more  recently,   with  Hou Changyun .

But  the   strange thing  is  that often a young  artist's  early   senior-student   works  have a  kind  of  original-simplicity- true- beauty   that   is later  obscured  by  their  increasing    sophistication ( and fame / commercial  painting) . So their  early  works  are actually   among their   best - at least  in terms  of  originality and     creativeness.

If  I had  unlimited  money  (and  display  shelf  space ! )  I  would  have  bought  over  20 -  25%  of   every  landscape VMIPB I ever saw in the past   few  years.   But  of course  the  average  collector  like you  and  me  cannot   ever  possibly  do that,   so we   each   concentrate  in a  few  particular    areas.

There  must  be  very  few  serious  VMIPB collectors  in the   world  because  so far    the  only  other  serious  collector  of  Chinese  landscapes  I have  bumped  into  ( apart  from  the  Singapore  Nanyang  Group ! ) is  Charll.  And  you, Geoff,  are  the  only  bird  expert.

I have   yet to  bump into  a   spider- bottle   expert !

I now  see  my  collection  as something  more  akin to  a  snap shot   of  the  development  of   VMIPB painting   in the  late  2000s  /  early   2010s.   

So much  went  on  long  before  I started  collecting e.g  in the   1990s  when the   S'Pore  Nanyang  Group were  buying  almost every  newly-created  bottle  coming  out  of   Hengshui. A  truly   golden  period !
Every  serious  collector  of  VMIPBs  must make a  pilgrimage to  S'Pore and meet  the  collectors  there,  although  to actually  view  their  collections  at  first  hand  is  difficult, because   every  collector  is very  private.

Before  that, in the   1980s  it  was  J.H. Leung  who  was the  prime  collector .  Mr  Leung, like  George  Bloch,  had  unlimited   funds . 

But  unlike   GB,  Mr  Leung   did his  own  buying   and   he  also had  the  time   and took the   effort to  travel to  meet the  artists,  which is why  his   book  "New Look" is   such a  goldmine  of  information  about   the   prime  MIPB  period.

In the   early   2000s   it  seems there   were a  variety  of  totally  unconnected  collectors  ( e.g.  Bill  Patrick)  and  many others  (especially you, Pat,  Charll ....  and  several  others)

And then  I  joined   as  a rookie  along in the  late   2000s,   still  totally  unconnected , and  still   others  joined -  e.g.  Jill's   worldwide  customers  for  VMIPBs   within the  ICSBS, and  David  Osborne's  Snuff  Bottle  Club   collector-group-members

And  then  along  came the   Forum !  Many thanks to  George !

Slowly  - very  slowly  -  we  are  connecting ....

Lots  more to  share  on this   topic !

Maybe  we  should  ask  George  to  move this  - and  related  topics  -   to  a new  topic  area    e.g. :
 "The  Development  of   VMIPB  Collecting"

??

Just a  suggestion

Cheers

Peter

« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 01:37:59 pm by Peter Bentley 彭达理 » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: