About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 18, 2024, 01:25:03 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Can someone confirm this Zhang Tieshan painted

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Can someone confirm this Zhang Tieshan painted  (Read 1732 times)
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« on: September 06, 2014, 11:38:59 pm »

Hi All

I  would   agree  that  it's   Zhang Yu  not  Zhen Yu = Pan Jiafang ( but  I defer to   Richard , YT and Steven  on  correctly  reading   characters)

Yes   Zhen yu's  best bottles  these  days  are  very expensive.  On the  other hand David  Osborne   usually asks for  very reasonable  prices  for the   Zhen Yu  bottles  he bought in the  mid -2000s

I'm  100%  certain  it's not  Zhang Tieshan,  although   Shang Dynasty  bronzes  are   one  of  ZTS's  signature   themes.  The quality of the  painting  is far below  ZTS's  super-high standard , also  ZTS's  bottles  now  sell  for   US$ tens  of  thousands

(Rumor has it  that  ZTS  has recently been  buying  back  all  his previous  bottles  that were  undersold - same  for  Zhang Guanqing -  but again   that's  just  hearsay )

BTW :  it's  not  just   ZTS who paints   these  Shang Dynasty  bronzes . Lou Jiawen  also  paints them  (and  also to a  very high  standard)  , and  I'm pretty   sure I have  seen   a  few  other  artists  paint them as well.

I  also cannot   find "Zhang  Yu"  anywhere  in my   latest  DB,  nor  anywhere  else

The absence  of a  date   leads me  to suspect this  is  a  student  artist -  probably Ji  School,  also though it   could  be  Qin SChool, since  I  hear the  ZTS  has  started  teaching younger  artists  from scratch,  which   could  explain the  Shang Dynasty  bronzes ( and the    low  price )

On the other hand, the  bottle  shape  looks  more like  1970's   style, so I  wonder if  it was a  high  class  "tourist" bottle  than  somehow found its  way  to  the  USA, and then   finally to  e-bay

The  wife  of  Pan Jiafang  is Li Zhen  =  Li Haizhen. Seems she  paints  flowers and  birds.

Cheers

Peter

PS:  Lu Yun House would  mean   the  "Lu Yun Studio " .  The  only reference  to this studio    is  what I found in Jill's catalog Autumn 2011.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: