About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 11:17:21 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Joke -a - Day

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Joke -a - Day  (Read 6672 times)
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #140 on: January 07, 2015, 12:24:10 am »

Dear Tom,
     If you are ever in Monaghan town, County Monaghan in the Republic of Ireland (which is actually much closer to Belfast than to Dublin), do NOT stay at the Four-seasons Resort-hotel there; same thing.
      Oh, I mixed up the 'Ramallah Hilton' thing: the guy's name was Rasem alBasri; he changed it to Rasem alBasri Hilton, so he could call his fleabag the Ramallah Hilton. I mentioned writing about it to my best friend Khalil, and he corrected me.
Best,
Joey
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 04:32:08 am by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #141 on: January 07, 2015, 02:22:04 am »

Dear Joey and Tom,
in the past I did work for a pharmaceutical Company here in Italy. They was sued by Bayer because they produce a medicine called Espiran. In Italian, we pronunciate Aspirina in very different way than in English, while Espiran in Italian to us sounds similar to Aspirina in English.
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #142 on: January 07, 2015, 02:48:25 am »

They was sued by Bayer because they produce a medicine called Espiran.

Dear Giovanni,

Bayer also hold the trade patent for a drug called Heroin. Strange, but I never heard of them suing any dope peddlars for using the same name.  Grin

Tom
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 04:27:15 am by Wattana » Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #143 on: January 07, 2015, 09:47:09 am »

Dear Giovanni and Tom,
        Very interesting.
Best,
 Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #144 on: February 07, 2015, 04:46:30 am »

I was rereading the thread, and Richard posted this joke, sans the Jewish additions, in Aug.2014!

In honour of Shabbat, a Jewish Joke:

Moishe, a Jewish actor is so down and out, he's ready to take any acting gig that he can find. Finally, he gets a lead, a classified ad that says, "Actor Needed To Play An Ape." "I could do that," says Moishe. To his surprise, the employer turns out to be the Central Park Zoo in New York.

Owing to the recent budget cuts and the Great Recession, they can no longer afford to import an ape to replace the deceased one, so, until they can get the money, they'll put an actor in an ape suit instead. Out of desperation, Moishe takes the offer.

At first, his conscience keeps nagging him, that he is being dishonest by fooling the zoo-goers. Moishe also feels undignified in the ape suit, stared at by the crowds who watch his every move. But after a few days on the job, he begins to enjoy all the attention and starts to put on a decent show for all the zoo-goers. Moishe hangs upside down from the branches by his legs, swinging about on the vines, climbing up the cage walls and roaring with all his might while beating on his chest. Soon, he's drawing a sizable crowd.

One day, while Moishe is swinging on the vines to show off to a group of school kids, his hands slip and he goes flying over the fence into the neighboring cage, the lion's den.

Terrified, Moishe backs up as far from the approaching lion as he can, covers his eyes and prays at the top of his lungs, "Shma Yisrael Adonai Eloheinu, Adonai Echad!"(Hear Oh Israel, The Lord Our G-D, The Lord Is One), as a good Jew would before he thinks he is going to die.

The lion opens his powerful jaws and roars: "Baruch Shem Kevod Malchuto LeOlam VaEd"(May The Glorious Majesty of His Name be Blessed For Ever and Ever), the proper response to the 'Shma'.

From a nearby cage, a panda yells, "Shut up you schmucks, or you'll get us all fired !!"   Wink

Shabbat Shalom,
     Joey

« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 03:58:02 pm by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #145 on: February 07, 2015, 08:27:58 am »

Hi All

Although   I thought  we  agreed  to   curtail /  terminate  the  joke-a -day  thread  I  cannot   resist a  repartee  to  this  classic  by  Joey , which  reminded  me  of a  similar  zoo-based  joke.

A Czechoslovakian  tourist  with   his Indian   tour  guide  were touring a   zoo   in Calcutta  .

They   were   watching  the  lions ,  of  which there  were  two  - a  male  (with a  big  mane)  and  an  female (mane-less)

Suddenly  the Czechoslovakian   tourist   tripped  up  and   fell  into the  lions'  den and    was  immediately   swallowed alive by  one of the  lions.

The   Indian   tour  guide  immediately  called the   zoo  security team and they quickly  came to the   scene  ready to kill  the guilty  lion  and try to  rescue the  tourist  while  he  was  still  alive  in the  lion's   stomach.

"It  was the  male  lion   the  swallowed the   tourist! "  screamed the   tour  guide

So the   zoo  security  team  quickly shot the  male   lion and   cut  open its  stomach.

But the tourist  was not  inside  !

(He  was  inside  the   female  lion  ,  but  by then  he was   long since  dead)

Which  all  goes to  prove :

NEVER  BELIEVE  AN  INDIAN   WHEN HE  SAYS THE   CHECK  IS  IN THE  MAIL

Cheers (apologetically)

Peter

PS:  Tom  -  I just  loved the  MISSISSIPPI  joke ! . 

There's a  similar  one  about  an Italian  asking  for a    "fork"   at a   restaurant   ....  you  can  guess the  rest  ....  but   sadly   I can't  remember the  whole  joke

PPS  :  Found  it    due  to the   marvels  of  Youtube  !  Grin

Or  search : " The  Italian  man  who went to  Malta"  on  Youtube  or  Google

« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 08:40:50 am by Peter Bentley 彭达理 » Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #146 on: February 07, 2015, 09:02:43 am »

There's a  similar  one  about  an Italian  asking  for a    "fork"   at a   restaurant   ....  you  can  guess the  rest  ....  but   sadly   I can't  remember the  whole  joke

Hi Peter,

I know that one too! It was told to me by two young ladies from a respectable convent school. But I can't possibly post it on a public forum !!   Wink

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #147 on: February 07, 2015, 09:26:54 am »

Dear Peter,
     I don't remember agreeing to curtail OR terminate this Thread. And which was it? Curtail or Terminate?
And I thought I already told this joke as two men from Prague visiting Everglades National Park in Florida.
I accessed the joke about the Italian on Malta; not very good. But it led me to a video of Russell Peters which was quite good.
Best,
  Shabbat Shalom,
       Joey

Hi All

Although   I thought  we  agreed  to   curtail /  terminate  the  joke-a -day  thread  I  cannot   resist a  repartee  to  this  classic  by  Joey , which  reminded  me  of a  similar  zoo-based  joke.

A Czechoslovakian  tourist  with   his Indian   tour  guide  were touring a   zoo   in Calcutta  .

They   were   watching  the  lions ,  of  which there  were  two  - a  male  (with a  big  mane)  and  an  female (mane-less)

Suddenly  the Czechoslovakian   tourist   tripped  up  and   fell  into the  lions'  den and    was  immediately   swallowed alive by  one of the  lions.

The   Indian   tour  guide  immediately  called the   zoo  security team and they quickly  came to the   scene  ready to kill  the guilty  lion  and try to  rescue the  tourist  while  he  was  still  alive  in the  lion's   stomach.

"It  was the  male  lion   the  swallowed the   tourist! "  screamed the   tour  guide

So the   zoo  security  team  quickly shot the  male   lion and   cut  open its  stomach.

But the tourist  was not  inside  !

(He  was  inside  the   female  lion  ,  but  by then  he was   long since  dead)

Which  all  goes to  prove :

NEVER  BELIEVE  AN  INDIAN   WHEN HE  SAYS THE   CHECK  IS  IN THE  MAIL

Cheers (apologetically)

Peter

PS:  Tom  -  I just  loved the  MISSISSIPPI  joke ! . 

PPS  :  Found  it    due  to the   marvels  of  Youtube  !  Grin

Or  search : " The  Italian  man  who went to  Malta"  on  Youtube  or  Google

Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #148 on: February 07, 2015, 09:33:40 am »

Believe it or not dear Peter, my spoken English is much worst! So you can figure out what the listener could understand;D
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #149 on: February 07, 2015, 04:03:44 pm »

Dear Giovanni,
     Your spoken English is fine! I'm a witness.
I had a private guide at the Vatican Museums (Musei Vaticani) in Feb.2011, who had a dreadful accent in English. He could have been the model for Peter's joke.

He was also a dreadful guide. A serious waste of 250 Euros. I had requested a serious tour of all the Homoerotic art in the Vatican Museums, especially the Ignudi in the Sistine Chapel (Michelangelo must have had a great time 'posing' all his muscular models!), and the archaeology, architecture and history of the site, and explained that I was a licenced tour guide in Israel. We are known as serious guides world wide. The guiding I received would have better suited a not too bright 10-12 year old. I got to see a lot of things, but would have done better by myself.

Best,
 Joey

Believe it or not dear Peter, my spoken English is much worst! So you can figure out what the listener could understand;D
Giovanni

« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 04:31:20 am by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #150 on: February 08, 2015, 04:47:52 am »

Dear Giovanni & Tom,
    Re-reading this reminded me of a funny thing in Israel. There is a family in Israel, whose name is spelled 'Pines', but pronounced 'Peenehs' (!).
    During WWII and the aftermath leading up to the establishment of the State of Israel in 1948, one of the family was in the USA, trying to garner support for the embattled and threatened Jewish community in what is now Israel. He would be introduced as 'Pines' (like the plural of the tree) and he'd insist loudly in a thick Hebrew accent, that it was 'Peenehs' in Hebrew. This would cause great mirth, but also much embarrassment, to which he seemed oblivious. But he did raise large amounts to help us in a time of great need.  Many people would give more, to 'cover' their feelings of having shamed him, even inadvertently.
   A descendant, Guy Pines, is what passes for an Israeli TV personality, covering TV and movies from overseas; he uses the same 'shtick' in Hollywood. An Israeli with the name 'Peenehs' gets his foot in the door in the USA.
Best,
 Joey

They was sued by Bayer because they produce a medicine called Espiran.

Dear Giovanni,

Bayer also hold the trade patent for a drug called Heroin. Strange, but I never heard of them suing any dope peddlars for using the same name.  Grin

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #151 on: February 08, 2015, 09:07:43 am »

A Jew in deathbed calls his loved ones: "Sarah, my wife where are you?". "I'm here, do not worry." "Judith, my daughter, where are you?". "I'm here father, do not get excited." "My son David, where are you?". "Father, I am here." "But then is there nobody down in the shop?".
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #152 on: February 08, 2015, 03:31:35 pm »

A Jew on his deathbed in Boston, on the night of the worst snowstorm in the city's history, calls out to his wife. "Sarah", he calls, "I'm dying! Please call that Catholic priest, Fr. O'Malley!"
  Sarah says,"Chaim! A Catholic Priest? Why!?" 
Chaim says,"Sarah! Get the priest! I'm dying!"
Sarah says,"But Chaim, Why a priest?!"
Chaim says,"I'm not making a Rabbi go out in this weather!"

Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #153 on: February 08, 2015, 03:37:54 pm »

A Protestant Minister and a Catholic Priest play golf on Mondays.
       One Monday, the priest complains that someone stole his umbrella from the church. 
 The Minister says,"Fr. Sean, this Sunday, give a real strong sermon on the 10 Commandments, and then state that someone has stolen your umbrella, and if they don't return it, there will be Hell to pay, literally!"
       The next Monday, Fr. Sean is back playing golf, and has his umbrella back.
The Minister says,"I see it worked!"
        Fr. Sean says, "As I was repeating the Ten Commandmrnts, when I got to 'You Shall Not Commit Adultery', I remembered where I'd left my umbrella!"

Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #154 on: February 08, 2015, 04:01:57 pm »

Did you hear  about the guy in NYC who was half Jewish and half Sicilian? If he couldn't buy something wholesale, he'd steal it!

Or the guy who was half German and half Polish? Hated Jews, but didn't know why.

Or the guy who was half Polish and half Jewish? He was a janitor, but he owned the building!

Joey
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 12:25:22 pm by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #155 on: February 08, 2015, 04:03:10 pm »

" Jesus Saves,  Moses Invests, but only Lord Buddha Pays Interest!"

Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #156 on: February 09, 2015, 12:54:15 am »

Dear Joey,
that of the supposed stolen umbrella is brilliant!!
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #157 on: February 09, 2015, 05:10:22 am »

Dear Giovanni,
    Thank you.
Best,
  Joey

Dear Joey,
that of the supposed stolen umbrella is brilliant!!
Giovanni

Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #158 on: February 19, 2015, 11:33:04 am »

A Jewish man was sitting in Starbucks reading an Arab newspaper.  A friend of his, who happened to be in the same store, noticed this strange phenomenon.  Very upset, he approached him and said:  'Moshe, have you lost your mind?!  Why are you reading an Arab newspaper?'

Moshe replied, 'I used to read the Jewish newspapers, but what did I find?
      -  Jews being persecuted,
      -  Israel being attacked,
      -  Jews disappearing through assimilation and  intermarriage,
      -  Jews living in poverty;
 I got so depressed!

So I switched to the Arab newspaper.  Now what do I find?
       -  Jews own all the banks,
       -  Jews control the media,
       -  Jews are all rich and powerful,
       -  Jews rule the world.
 The news is so much better!'

HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR EVERYONE!
Joey                             
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #159 on: February 19, 2015, 08:41:26 pm »

Thanks Joey,

That made me laugh. A great joke to start the New Year with.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
  Print  

Jump to: