About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 09:26:16 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Very slow access to the Forum in China

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Very slow access to the Forum in China  (Read 665 times)
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« on: August 22, 2014, 12:01:52 am »

Hi  All

As  I have  mentioned to  George  privately,   access  speed  to the  Forum  when in China  has  slowed to  snails  speed.

I'm now  in   Wenzhou  on holiday,  and this  is  THE  slowest  I have  every experienced   the  Forum

Literally :

1.   Click  on the  Forum  website
2.   Go and make a  coffee
3.   Website  is now  open  so  click  on a  message  or  topic
4.   Drink  your  coffee and  read  a  book
5.   Topic / message  topic  is  now  open
6    Read  topic / message
7.   Click reply
8.   Go and  have a  long shower
9.   Reply  window  is  now  open  so  type  reply
10. Click "send"  and   go off to make breakfast

Thus  what  would  be a   quick  10 minute  pre-breakfast  browse  in Hong Kong becomes a  half-day  marathon.
etc

I'm  not  joking... !

I can  open  news  websites,  hotmail, Yahoo   whatever  instantly

On the  other  hand  popular blogsites   in HK  are  all   blocked  in China, so  is  Google  half the  time.

I  put this  down to the   fact  that  the  Forum  is  a  FORUM  so  the  Chinese  censors  need to  check  every time  someone  in China   accesses the  site  and/or  posts a  message, because the  content  of a   Forum can change  at the   drop  of a  new  posting. The  censors  are not  monitoring  me  personallly, but they are monitoring the   Forum  every time  it's  accessed from within  China.

It  sure  makes  it  hard for  China-based   members,  which is   perhaps   why  members  like  Mike  only  log  in  occasionally.  If  I were  Mike  I would  have  given  up long ago

It  seems  that the   few Artists  who  registered   have    already  given  up

There's  nothing   to be done  about  this  except  please, as I  wrote  before,  stay  clear  of any  topic  that  could  possibly  be  construed or  mis-interpreted  as   subversive  or    anything  similar.

Cheers   Sad

Peter

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 12:13:36 am »

I did a little checking, and will not post here, but interesting read in support of your claims shared a few months ago with us Peter..

http://www.internetretailer.com/2014/08/14/foreign-retail-web-sites-load-slowly-china
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 01:40:35 am »

Interesting Peter.

I wonder how people in China are able to make online bids? I find that I can't rely on internet speeds even in Thailand, so always place absentee bids, never 'live', in case of sluggish delivery!

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 02:23:34 am »

Dear Peter,

That's why we do WeChat in China. It is so fast and detrimental to our health(non-stop msging all day)

Also, you are suppose to be on holiday so stay away from technology. Keep you wife with you all day long and night even longer Tongue Wink

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 05:13:32 am »

Hi  YT

There  is  no  problem   with access  speeds  from China to   normal  websites  like   auctions,  mainline  newspapers ( e.g..I get the  South  China  Morning  Post  instantly).  Their  content is  standard and  "safe"

The  problem comes   with   western  sites  like   forums,  Youtube etc  where  it is  possible to  post messages ,  weblinks,    videos...  whatever    that  are   beyond the  control  of the   Chinese  govt

The  main   Chinese   chat  websites  like   wechat  ,  Weibo etc  exercise  self-censorship  ,same  for  QQ  etc.

But  when it  comes   to a  Western-based   forum   there  is  no  way for  anyone in China to control the  content. Therefore  before  anyone  inside  China can   access our  Forum someone (or -  much more  likely  -  a  computer  program looking for  key words)  must scan the  page  being accessed / message  being  posted

Which is  why  it's   really  essential  to  stick  strictly to  snuff bottle  matters,  otherwise  we  may find the   Forum is  totally  blocked  in China

Cheers
Peter

Report Spam   Logged

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 05:18:08 am »

Interesting Peter.

I wonder how people in China are able to make online bids? I find that I can't rely on internet speeds even in Thailand, so always place absentee bids, never 'live', in case of sluggish delivery!

Tom

Dear Tom,

Absentee bids are much safer sometimes especially when it comes to a bottle that you must have.  Tongue

Cheers
YT
Report Spam   Logged

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 05:22:03 am »

Dear Peter,

That's interesting. So speed is no issue just foreign content control.

Are you busy shopping in Wenzhou now? Snuff bottles? Smiley

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 05:29:15 am »

Peter,
    Thanks for expanding on the explanation.

YT,
    Yes, I agree that absentee bids are safer when internet speeds are unreliable; especially since ALL bottles I bid on are "must have" bottles!   Cheesy

Tom
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 05:31:32 am by Wattana » Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 05:35:12 am »

Dear Tom,

I can get quite impulsive for 'must haves' especially in a room full of energy Cheesy

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 10:07:39 am »

How about something like this Peter ?

http://www.greycoder.com/avoidthe-chinese-great-firewall/

Also be sure to read through the comments on that link at the lower part of the page.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 10:14:43 am by George » Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 04:59:21 pm »

Hi  George

That's a  very  useful  link .  Many thanks indeed

Please  keep  it  on the   Forum   and  maybe  make this  a    sticky  topic.

At present  my  trips to  China  only  last  a week  or  so, therefore  I can live   with the  low  access  speeds
But  if  it  comes  to  2- week  trips  or  longer  I will  have to  get  a  VPN.

First  step  would  be to contact  our  IT  consultant  in HK  for  advice.

But   what  I worry  about  is  normal  Chinese   Forum  members,  artists   etc. They  would  hardly ever think  to use a  VPN, especially  if  it's  only  for the  Forum

MIKE :  If  you  read this  message -  do  you   find  access  to the  Forum  very  slow  ? ( Please  first read the  past  messages  below)

The  current  very-slow  access  speeds  may  be  because  of  where  I am ( Wenzhou) which is    sometimes  called the   "Jerusalem of  China"  because  of the  unusually  large  number  of   churches - some of them  huge  new  buildings.  Or  it  maybe  because  recently there  has  been a  general  clamp  down  on the  internet  in China. 

Anyway, it's  not the  end  of  the  world ! Back to  HK tomorrow !

Cheers
Peter
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: