About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 19, 2024, 04:53:49 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Need help with ID this cloisenne butterfly bottle

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help with ID this cloisenne butterfly bottle  (Read 1095 times)
Sally72
« on: July 31, 2014, 01:08:15 pm »

Any info on this bottle is very helpful!

* GEDC0028.JPG (162.02 KB, 480x640 - viewed 47 times.)

* GEDC0035.JPG (162.98 KB, 640x480 - viewed 37 times.)

* GEDC0031.JPG (149.63 KB, 640x480 - viewed 32 times.)

* GEDC0038.JPG (160.93 KB, 640x480 - viewed 26 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 02:48:24 pm »

http://snuffbottle.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,2233.0.html
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 08:59:43 pm »

Dear Sally,
    I wrote you before that it is made by soldering silver (or in this case, brass) wires on a thin copper bottle; the 'cloisons' ('cells', in French; from same word source as 'cloister') were filled with powdered glass, which when fired, fused to the wires. Then the copper bottle was removed by acid, leaving the glass and brass wire bottle. It is quite beautiful, though I believe not older than 1930 and probably 1950s/1960s.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 09:01:20 am »

Dear Sally,

Just saw your collection put up in EBay. How many bottle have you got?

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 02:20:36 pm »

Dear YT,
can you provide the ebay number of at least one of them?
Thank you
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 03:27:12 pm »

Giovanni,

Here you go, Charll

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PLIQUE-A-JOUR-CLOISONNE-BUTTERFLY-FLOWERS-CHINESE-SNUFF-BOTTLE-NO-RESERVE-/131257442716?pt=Asian_Antiques&hash=item1e8f8da19c
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Jungle Jas

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 03:59:06 pm »

Thanks Joey for explaining how these bottles are made, I bought one about 10 years ago,  but have never seen another one. Regards Jason
Report Spam   Logged
Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 04:40:15 pm »

Dear Sally (if this is your name, because you never signed your posts),
you have registered here four days ago, saying “I am a new collector of snuff bottles and recently purchased 20+ at estate auction.”
Quite strange for a new collector to start threads and repeat them in hurry saying that any info is very helpful and then list them on ebay! Helpful for what?
I don’t know about other members, but as for myself I feel a bit cheated by such behavior, sorry. I am more than happy in sharing the few knowledge that I have with others who are interested in the same matter, but frankly I have something better to do in my spare time than giving help/information to somebody who asks for the sole purpose of financial gain, especially if done in bad faith.
There are plenty of appraisal sites for this, of course not free.
Best regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 05:08:02 pm »

My pleasure, Jason. From the one posted by 'Sally', I learn that the technique's called  Plique a Jour.
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey

Thanks Joey for explaining how these bottles are made, I bought one about 10 years ago,  but have never seen another one. Regards Jason
Report Spam   Logged

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 05:13:50 pm »

Well said Giovanni.

Thanks Charll, you are so fast.

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 05:27:36 pm »

Dear Giovanni,
   Yes, well said. As usual, you were right about this issue and I was wrong. I guess I'm too naive.
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey

Well said Giovanni.

Thanks Charll, you are so fast.

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 05:34:09 pm »

Dear Joey,

Your willingness to share your knowledge has been felt by everyone.
Thank you Joey for that.  Wink

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 05:37:00 pm »

Dear Sally (if this is your name, because you never signed your posts),
you have registered here four days ago, saying “I am a new collector of snuff bottles and recently purchased 20+ at estate auction.”
Quite strange for a new collector to start threads and repeat them in hurry saying that any info is very helpful and then list them on ebay! Helpful for what?
I don’t know about other members, but as for myself I feel a bit cheated by such behavior, sorry. I am more than happy in sharing the few knowledge that I have with others who are interested in the same matter, but frankly I have something better to do in my spare time than giving help/information to somebody who asks for the sole purpose of financial gain, especially if done in bad faith.
There are plenty of appraisal sites for this, of course not free.
Best regards
Giovanni

I noticed the bottles on eBay, but thought she was asking for help in regards to possibly purchasing them... Guess I was not paying close attention..

Sally... This is in part, exactly the reason I sent you this link.. http://snuffbottle.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,2233.0.html

I am a bit guilty of the same in regards to using info that Steven and others have provided me, and have later placed them on eBay with translations and theme info that was given me..

I try not to take advantage of our experts here. 

Now that I see what Giovanni has spotted, I doubt you will see much more help unless you do your best to go through the proper steps within the link above before posting..

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Sally72
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 07:48:51 pm »

To all who have hastily made inaccurate assumptions to my intentions,

Yes, I am a new collector. Yes, I purchased 20+ snuff bottles from an auction. Yes, I have asked for help with certain snuff bottles on this forum (assumption on my part) that I would gain knowledge from other collectors. I apologize for making that assumption, for I was seriously mistaken.

I do not have to explain my actions. However, in this case I will be happy to...

Out of the 20+ lot of snuff bottles I purchased, I have listed on EBay 13 of them.

Why have I asked for help with these then so quickly added to EBay you ask?Huh  Because I do not want those particular ones, did not know anything of them, and needed the correct information to post accurately, for I value honesty and integrity.

My questions for all are;
1) Were you annoyed with inaccurate postings and/or information given on a snuff bottle?Huh?
2) Have any of you bought a snuff bottle on EBay???
3) Have you ever sold a snuff bottle or two?Huh??

Best regards to you all,
Sally

P.S. Thank you all for your help
Report Spam   Logged
Private Boards

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 08:06:13 pm »

Sally,
     WE did NOT make inaccurate assumptions as to your intentions. I did, though. I took what you said, at your word.
You, unlike your statement below, did not behave with honesty OR integrity.
You did NOT state at the start, "I have purchased 20 bottles and mean to dispose of 13, and need help with information on them, so I can sell them".
You led me to believe that you were a new collector looking for help. I tried to help you.
     If you'd been honest, and said that you were a new collector, and wanted help getting rid of ones you didn't want, so you could use the funds to acquire examples which you would want, I'd still have helped you, as I have helped a number of others on this Forum (and in the ICSBS, where I've been a member almost 40 years).
     Congratulations. You succeeded in 'pulling one over' on a few naive people who love Chinese Snuff Bottles, and want to share their passion and their knowledge.
     Who did you copy the name from? The self-righteous  hypocrite  Born-again Christian VP in "Scandal"?
And in answer to your questions:
1. I feel you used my knowledge because you did not honestly state why you wanted the info.
2. No, I have never bought a bottle on eBAY.
3. No, I have never personally sold a bottle.
AND, you mis-spelled 'Cloisonne'.

To all who have hastily made inaccurate assumptions to my intentions,

Yes, I am a new collector. Yes, I purchased 20+ snuff bottles from an auction. Yes, I have asked for help with certain snuff bottles on this forum (assumption on my part) that I would gain knowledge from other collectors. I apologize for making that assumption, for I was seriously mistaken.

I do not have to explain my actions. However, in this case I will be happy to...

Out of the 20+ lot of snuff bottles I purchased, I have listed on EBay 13 of them.

Why have I asked for help with these then so quickly added to EBay you ask?Huh  Because I do not want those particular ones, did not know anything of them, and needed the correct information to post accurately, for I value honesty and integrity.

My questions for all are;
1) Were you annoyed with inaccurate postings and/or information given on a snuff bottle?Huh?
2) Have any of you bought a snuff bottle on EBay???
3) Have you ever sold a snuff bottle or two?Huh??

Best regards to you all,
Sally

P.S. Thank you all for your help
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 08:11:38 pm by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: