About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 09:23:03 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Molded Bottles

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Molded Bottles  (Read 498 times)
AntPeople
Private Boards

« on: July 31, 2014, 12:45:13 am »

Hi All :

Saw 2 similar molded procelain bottles from the JiQing period and tot that it will be good to share.... One is apparently sold by Bonhams in 2012 and the other is on the web now

Multi-coloured Bottle (Bonhams)

Red Bottle

I compared the 2 bottles carefully and found just a little different between the bottles

1) The repeating motif just below the mouth of the bottles...... same kind of  pattern (the one that looks like a labyrinth)....... one runs from left to right and
     the other is running from right to left
2) The multi-coloured bottle is all pocelain while the red bottle has the top of the mouth fitted (replaced) but a metal piece
3) Stopper is different
4) Of course, colour is different

The rest of the details are at least 90% similar for both bottles.

Found a video on how molded dolls are made......... and i think this could be very close to how molded snuff bottles are made a long time ago in China......

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQbar_sfqRI

The seal at the bottom of the red bottle looks pretty unprofessional compared to the multi-coloured bottles, also, any reason for the metal top, could it be
retrofitted later bec of damages ?

Why will the repeating motif be opposite direction if its molded ...... could it be that some of these details are added by hand later ?

Any opinion... thanks a lot

Pin

« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 02:51:30 am by AntPeople » Report Spam   Logged

五花馬,千金裘。呼兒將出換美酒,與爾同銷萬古愁。

http://www.chinese-snuff-bottle.com

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 02:55:08 am »

Dear Pin,
you have found there a nice bottle. I think that most probably it is of the period. (Jiaqing, not JiQing)
The border around the neck is called “key fret border”, here in Italy we call it as “greek”. You can have it oriented in both ways, no problem.  The metal collar is a later replacement, it may cover a small damage or may not. The surface wear, the quality of the decoration, the base are all pointing toward a nice genuine piece to me.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

AntPeople
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 03:09:42 am »

Hi Giovanni :

Good catch.... its JiaQing, not JiQing... hahah...
I am sorry.... my HanYuPinYin is terrible.... i can write but cant spell chinese words...
Thanks for the information.

Pin
Report Spam   Logged

五花馬,千金裘。呼兒將出換美酒,與爾同銷萬古愁。

http://www.chinese-snuff-bottle.com

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 04:38:25 am »

Dear Pin,
if you are a Chinese reader/speaker you are more one of our really precious members!
Thanks to you I learn now that what I knew simply as Pinyin is indeed Hanju pinyin, i.e. translation of Han language.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 08:40:37 am »

Dear Pin,
    I agree with everything Giovanni has said about the bottle.  I also agree about your possible contribution to the Forum, as a native Chinese speaker/reader/writer. And I also did not know that it was properly Hanju Pinyin, even though I learned it over 33 years ago!
    In my collection, and illustrated in my 1987 catalogue (#54), I had one almost identical to the red example.
Best,
 Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

AntPeople
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 03:22:23 am »

Hi Joey.....

thanks a lot........ appreciate your sharing

Pin
Report Spam   Logged

五花馬,千金裘。呼兒將出換美酒,與爾同銷萬古愁。