About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 18, 2024, 09:18:25 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Another red lacquer bottle

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Another red lacquer bottle  (Read 1075 times)
Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2014, 05:24:24 am »

All

Here is a link I saved a while ago that may help:

http://www.realorrepro.com/article/Cinnabar
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Brad
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2014, 06:39:59 am »

Hi Joey,

The more I look I am beginning to see that the cinnabar bottles on eBay all look like fakes.  None have the look of my grandmother's pin, even the ones going for really big prices.  And yes it would be pretty hard to tell without seeing it in person and feeling it.  The mother of pearl one appears to look more like it than most of the others.

I haven't seen any Japanese examples but I suppose they are shown in the Stevens book, which I just got from the library yesterday.  Not surprising that Japanese examples would be superb - I have found a lot of Japanese cloisonne to surpass the Chinese in attractiveness.  I've seen some fine Japanese metalwork as well.

I can relate to your love of cinnabar.  I always liked my grandmother's pin - the color, the texture, the fine carving, and the fact that it contains mercury, a more or less forbidden and vilified substance nowadays.  I'm getting the idea that real cinnabar bottles are probably far rarer than I imagined, and thus will be very costly.  I may have to wait a while before I can afford one or even find one.  I might be better off starting into snuff bottles with something more obtainable.  I've always liked enamel and cloisonne, so perhaps that would be a better place to begin.

Again I really do appreciate all your help and advice. 

Brad
Report Spam   Logged
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2014, 09:47:36 am »

I'm getting the idea that real cinnabar bottles are probably far rarer than I imagined, and thus will be very costly.  I may have to wait a while before I can afford one or even find one.  I might be better off starting into snuff bottles with something more obtainable.  I've always liked enamel and cloisonne, so perhaps that would be a better place to begin.

Hi Brad,

That is probably a sensible decision. In 40 years of collecting I have only handled 3 or 4 genuine cinnabar lacquer bottles. And all were priced beyond my reach. That will give you some indication of their rarity and value.

With patience and perseverance you will some day find one that fits your taste and your pocket, but it may be a long wait.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2014, 10:58:40 am »

Dear Brad,
      The only Japanese lacquer bottle in Stevens is #753, which doesn't show the flair and style of the best Japanese lacquer.
Does anyone have access to  the Spring 1982 (XIV,1) Journal cover?  The bottle on bottom left is what I and I think Charll, are talking about. In the O'Dell Collection catalogue, #64 and #66 are  obviously Japanese, though not so described. Of course the one on the Journal cover is not, either.
      There was a wonderful collection of Japanese Lacquer snuff bottles in a display of Japanese snuff bottles, at our 2011 Palm Beach FL. ICSBS convention. It belongs to Trammell Crow Jnr. in Dallas, TX and Robert Hall arranged to have it shown. I'm sure Charll spent a lot of time admiring the bottles when we were at the Morikami Museum in Delray Beach, where they were on display. I know I did.
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2014, 11:40:47 am »

I'm sure Charll spent a lot of time admiring the bottles when we were at the Morikami Museum in Delray Beach, where they were on display. I know I did.

Joey as you surmised, yes I did!  Those bottles gave me a target of quality to shoot for. Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Private Boards

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2014, 07:43:09 pm »

Dear Charll,
     May G-D Help you find some; because if you do, I might too! I searched for 30-35 years for that quality of Japanese example.
Best,
 Joey

I'm sure Charll spent a lot of time admiring the bottles when we were at the Morikami Museum in Delray Beach, where they were on display. I know I did.

Joey as you surmised, yes I did!  Those bottles gave me a target of quality to shoot for. Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Brad
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2014, 09:23:34 pm »

Some more pictures, just for comparison.  The first is an alleged cinnabar box I bought at an antique shop roughly ten years ago.  It is more of a vermilion color than my grandmother's pin, but no air bubbles and the carving looks similar.  It has blue enamel inside and on the bottom, with no marks.

The other two are another bottle that is on eBay for $280.  It looks a little better than some of the others, and the shape is different.  It has marks on the bottom, against a black background.   It has the white spoon many others have that looks to me like plastic.

Brad

* Cinnabar box.JPG (227.67 KB, 600x428 - viewed 23 times.)

* Cinnabar bottle 5.jpg (174.76 KB, 306x600 - viewed 18 times.)

* Cinnabar bottle 5 closeup.jpg (238.09 KB, 338x600 - viewed 20 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2014, 11:08:41 pm »

er.
Does anyone have access to  the Spring 1982 (XIV,1) Journal cover?  The bottle on bottom left is what I and I think Charll, are talking about.

Here ya go Joey..

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Private Boards

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2014, 06:51:55 am »

Thank you, George. Helpful and prompt as always.  Smiley
   Brad this is a great Japanese Cinnabar Lacquer bottle, ca.1850-1930, oddly enough not given a Chinese attribution and falsely attributed to ca. 1750-1825. Of course this was in the 'old days' of 1982 ( Wink Cheesy), when most people weren't as well informed as today. The O'Dell Catalogue has other Japanese bottles attributed to Qianlong period and Palace Workshops, when they are 50-100 years later in date and made 1100 miles farther East...  Wink
    We've come a long way in 32 years...
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: