About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 18, 2024, 06:24:50 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Bottle of unknown material

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bottle of unknown material  (Read 357 times)
Brad
« on: July 22, 2014, 07:02:42 am »

This is one of the bottles I just bought.  I don't actually have it yet but am wondering what it might be made of.  Seller wasn't sure - he said it could be resin.  It doesn't look like ivory and I think it's too opaque to be amber.  Possibly glass?  I couldn't see any air bubbles in the many close-up pictures they had, but I suppose it could still be just plastic.

Brad

* unknown material bottle.JPG (116.96 KB, 287x500 - viewed 34 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 07:07:10 am »

Probably going to have to wait till you get it ..

Appears to me resin by looking at the pic, but maybe glass... You will be able to tell better when it arrives..
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
YT
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 07:53:26 am »

Hi Brad,

How much did you buy it for? Think I saw something similar in EBay and the seller told me it's synthetic to mimic amber.

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 08:46:39 am »

Hi Brad,
   It actually looks to me like Coral, but I am bad at judging over the Internet.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Brad
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 01:31:43 pm »

I paid $16.00, so not much at all. 
Report Spam   Logged
Brad
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 06:18:57 pm »

Both bottles arrived in today's mail so I've taken my own pictures.  This bottle I would guess is plastic, but I don't see any sign of air bubbles.  It's pretty lightweight so I know it isn't glass.  There is what could be a seam from a mold on one side, but it does not go all the way up the side. There is no spoon, but the the top is held tight by a spongy material that looks modern.  This does not have a hole where a spoon shaft would have been.  This I suppose could have been added later to keep the top in place is the spoon was already missing.  There are some straight lines that could be remnants of tool marks. No markings on the bottom or any place else I can see. 

Brad

* Resin bottle.JPG (193.35 KB, 395x600 - viewed 24 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 11:02:53 pm »

Hi Brad,

As others have said, it is hard to judge from a photo. Mould-formed resin is quite heavy, and usually leaves tiny air bubbles on the surface. In the absence of those my guess is some kind of plastic, possibly enhanced with a bit of hand finishing and polishing to remove the seam lines.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: