About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 06:00:54 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Inside painted bottle?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Inside painted bottle?  (Read 281 times)
Brad
« on: July 22, 2014, 06:49:03 am »

This bottle was for sale just yesterday.  The seller doesn't say it is inside painting but that's what I thought it looked like.  He called it "vintage" but is there a way to tell if it does have any age to it?  To my untrained eye it looks rather nice.

Brad

* Glass painted bottle.JPG (108.93 KB, 327x500 - viewed 30 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 07:11:17 am »

The processed used to make these includes photo etching or enhancing the basic dark outlines within the bottle.. Then someone sort of just fills in with color.. Much like if you imagine a children's coloring book..

Modern, and considered a tourist type bottle..

Been looking at the bottles you have been interested in, and the last yellow one that you did purchased...

May I ask what are your hopes and desires as you build up a collection Brad ?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 07:13:30 am by George » Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Brad
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 03:11:31 pm »

Hi George,

What I'd ultimately like to do is obtain a handful of pretty nice bottles, not necessarily extremely valuable ones but nice examples of some of the different types.  My first interest was in a red lacquer (cinnabar) bottle.  I've always liked Oriental art and have many other items dating from around the 1920s, so it seemed like I should have some snuff bottles from around the same period.

I know I have a lot to learn.  There are literally hundreds of snuff bottles for sale on eBay, and probably just as many in other places.  Back when I bought the fake cinnabar bottle, in 1999, there were just as many.   I'd also venture to say that there are many more collectors of snuff bottles than of other things I already collect.  I've been a collector of bells for a long time now and have managed to get many really choice ones for fairly cheap, and I imagine that is because there are not that many people who collect bells in comparison to other collectibles, and the sellers are not aware of what they have.  There are bell books, but most of them were independently published and the average eBay seller is probably not familiar with them.  Judging by this forum alone, it seems there are many, many snuff bottle collectors all over the world, so probably much more information is widely known about them by dealers in art and antiques.

I probably should refrain from buying until I've acquired more knowledge.  Is eBay a good place to be looking?  With so many bottles for sale, how can I tell just by looking at pictures online if a particular bottle is worthwhile?  What should I expect to pay for a good bottle dating from 1900-1940?  For example, a red lacquer or glass overlay?  I've  noticed that most of the listings don't say anything about age, other than terms like "vintage" or "antique."   Some are not sure what the bottles are made of as well.

Brad
Report Spam   Logged
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 03:21:37 pm »

In reply Brad... Easier to post this response within another topic..

http://snuffbottle.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,2210.msg28023/topicseen.html#msg28023
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 09:52:31 pm »

I'd also venture to say that there are many more collectors of snuff bottles than of other things I already collect.  I've been a collector of bells for a long time now and have managed to get many really choice ones for fairly cheap, and I imagine that is because there are not that many people who collect bells in comparison to other collectibles, and the sellers are not aware of what they have.  There are bell books, but most of them were independently published and the average eBay seller is probably not familiar with them.  Judging by this forum alone, it seems there are many, many snuff bottle collectors all over the world, so probably much more information is widely known about them by dealers in art and antiques.

Hi Brad,

Unfortunately, you are correct. When I began collecting snuff bottles in the 1970s the situation was very much like you describe for bells: Few collectors, hardly any books on the subject, and most people didn't know what the bottles were used for - often describing them as 'scent bottles'.

Those were the golden days!

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: