About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 05:40:35 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Is this a period Daoguang piece?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this a period Daoguang piece?  (Read 845 times)
Dexter
« on: July 12, 2014, 07:22:22 pm »

I recently acquired a collection of 6 very nice snuff bottles, including this egg-shaped one with the motif of a monkey. It appears to be period, but I'm not quite sure. Does anyone have an opinion? And is it just me or is it quite unusual? Thanks for looking!

« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 07:33:07 pm by George » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 08:25:19 pm »

First off, welcome to our forum !

Glad you came over to share this one Dexter..

Am going to let some of the others with more expertise comment on this beautiful bottle..

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Dexter
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 10:35:49 pm »

Thank you very much! I am starting to get into Chinese antiques and I come across snuff bottles every now and then. I'm so glad that I found this site!
Report Spam   Logged
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 12:46:58 am »

I thought someone might be able to help you with this one Dexter...  Don't give up.. Would like very much to see the others you have !

Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 01:18:29 am »

Hi Dexter,
     Welcome to the Forum! You've come to the right place, because this is THE ONLY PLACE to chat about snuff bottles on the internet!
     Porcelain is not my area of expertise, but I'll tell you what I can about your bottle, and hope that others might chip in with their comments.
     Firstly, egg shaped bottles are not common, but by no means unusual. Examples crop up from time to time at auction. There are many modern porcelain bottles out there, especially on eBay and similar sites. Most copy the cylinder bottles, and some copy the standard 'flask' shape, but I cannot recall seeing any modern egg or pebble shaped bottles.
     Secondly, the painting quality and style look reasonably convincing to me for Daoguang period, including the reign mark. 
     Thirdly, I see a red seal near the base. I suspect this is an 'export seal'. These were discussed at length elsewhere on the forum. Basically, it just indicates that the Chinese government did not attach any particular heritage value to the item, and has approved it for export. Many collectors remove these seals as they think it lowers the value of the piece. Others feel it is an integral part of the item's past history, so leave it on. It's very much a personal decision.

Anyway, it's a nice looking bottle! Look forward to seeing some of the others.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 04:10:22 am by Wattana » Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 01:42:44 am »

Dear Dexter,
welcome to the Forum. I saw your post a few days ago and was going to answer to you but then I did forgot, thank you George for reviving it.
I share every word said by Tom, to me too your bottle is not a modern replica, it should be of the period or slightly later I think. The mark looks good, the enamels and the painting style too. I don’t remember of having seen on modern replicas that square way of representing the rocks. Nice piece.
If you are starting to be interested in Chinese Antique and particularly on porcelain, I suggest you the forum Gotheborg.com, a very good place to learn. To be member there you have to pay a fee, it is not free. The only benefactor on internet is George. Grin Grin
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 03:05:07 am »

Dear Dexter,
     I was looking at your bottle, and agree with Tom & Giovanni. I would say it is Daoguang mark and period, although it could be a bit later, as Giovanni has suggested is possible.
Best,
 Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 12:29:20 pm »

Here we go Dexter..

From the Meriem Collection, Important Chinese Snuff Bottles, Part ll..

Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: