About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 08:58:12 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Boys Breaking Off Osmanthus Branches From The Moon Palace

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Boys Breaking Off Osmanthus Branches From The Moon Palace  (Read 771 times)
George
Administrator

Test

« on: July 09, 2014, 02:12:25 pm »

I could swear that someone posted a bottle with this theme asking if any of us knew it..

I can not find it, so maybe mistaken, but just in case am posting it..

« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 07:06:08 pm by George » Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 03:01:06 pm »

Dear George,
this is the thread, go to the page number 3:
http://snuffbottle.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,1291.msg24760.html#msg24760
I take the opportunity to say something that since long I wanted to say. I think not good the habit of posting different bottles within a single thread. I noted that this is common in our forum. That is not good because it becomes difficult later to find a particular bottle, this case is an example of that. Each bottle should have his own post in my opinion.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 03:10:34 pm »

George,

Thanks for the additional background information on the bottle with this theme.  Can you tell me the source of your post?  Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 03:11:35 pm »

Blue & White Porcelain Snuff Bottle:
Rounded rectangular form with a slight tapering to the base, blue and white, soft paste porcelain bottle.  Qing white glaze blue &white figure motif with Gu crackles (or ice crackles).  The scene is of nine (9) figures on railed patio assisting members in plucking tree frawns.  Possibly an extended family for the figures appear to be grandparents, parents, and children.   Blue ringed neck with three bats.  Fine brush strokes with detail and good use of varying density of the cobalt blue pigment; garments and tree leaves are a dark, rich, deep blue.  Raised unglazed foot rim and glazed base with a six character Yongzheng mark.  Height is 7.3 cm without stopper.  A lingering sent of snuff.

Period: early 19th century, maybe earlier.

Condition: Abrasions from use, some pitting marks in the glaze, gold enameled restoration at base of the bottle were a portion of glaze was dislodged sometime in the past. 

Provenance:  Collected by George W. Bierce (born March 15, 1871, death Sept 1, 1962) in China in the 1920’s, and has been handed down in the Bierce family over the last ninety years.  George Bierce was an art and antique dealer in Cleveland Ohio, traveling extensively for antiquities and art, and had a working association with the Cleveland Historical Society.

Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 03:18:42 pm »

George,

Thanks for the additional background information on the bottle with this theme.  Can you tell me the source of your post?  Charll

Sure thing..

Terese Tse Bartholomew, ( my new book ! ) Hidden Meanings, pg 96.

No other info as to the background for the bottle.. Just what I posted from the book referencing the theme.
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: