About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 07:56:43 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Restoration or Cover-Up

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Restoration or Cover-Up  (Read 650 times)
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« on: June 28, 2014, 10:19:36 pm »

All,

As many of you know I have a fascination of concentric ring based snuff bottles.  This type of base usage is often confined to porcelain dragon pillar bottles.  In all the years of collecting I have only seen 1 or 2 other bottles with a concentric ring base that did not have a dragon design.  This year I encountered three such bottles of which I was able to purchase two. 

Here is a recent acquisition that I went out on a limb to purchase and paid an $850 US dollar hammer price to get.  The bottle was at one of the lesser auction houses and I had to make my assessment off photo’s alone, which can be risky.  First appearances of auction photos indicated that the bottle was hard paste with a nicely detailed underglaze blue and white design; see bottle below.  From the photos the bottle appeared good, but I did not notice the “restoration” work around the top rim of the bottle.

Once the bottle arrived I found that there was an auction number label on the bottle with scotch tape over it.  When I went to peel off the label and tape, part of the bottle’s painted surface lifted off with the label.

Oh my god!!!   It appeared that the bottle had been dropped or struck hard resulting in impact fractures to the hard paste surface.  Now what do I do?  Can I return the bottle based on a cover up of its condition?  My heart sunk as I thought about the money wasted, over $1000 dollars when you included the auction house bid premium and shipping cost.  What an expensive mistake!   Do I attempt to send it back or do I see how extensive the damage is by peeling off of restoration work?  Surely the bottle must be cracked all the way through the body. 

I then inspected the interior of the bottle to see how extensive the damage and/or repair was.  Hmmm, the interior was glazed throughout and looked just fine.  There were no cracks or evidence of a repair.  A bit puzzling, and then the light went on in my head.

Could this be a soft paste porcelain bottle?  The only way to find out would be to peel off the painted surface and clear-coat to see how much area was covered by this material. 

I proceeded to lift the clear-coat surface with the blade of my pocket knife at the point where the label was attached and continued peeling it off from around the bottle as if it were an orange rind.  As it turned out the entire bottle was clear-coated and where there were crackles in the glaze it was painted over with matching colors so as to hide said cracks.  Someone went to great effort to hide the cracks on a soft paste porcelain bottle. 

Shaking my head and not understanding why!  Why would someone do this?  Did they think it needed restoration or did they simply wish to cover up the natural cracking condition in the glaze?  What a mess! 

Anyway, all ends well.  Underneath this cover-up was a beautiful underglaze blue design that had great detail and a wonderful use of various cobalt blue tones.  The only blemish is a smoke like color in the glaze on a quarter of the bottle’s upper rim, which I presume was a firing issue.  Not enough to detract from the bottle’s elegance.  Also impressive was how crisp the painting became once the film was peeled away. 

Here is a similar type of cover-up on a plate.  What are they thinking in doing this!  Anyway live and learn, Charll

Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 05:13:56 am »

Well done Charll, really well done!
Sometimes we are lucky in finding pieces "restored" that way. It already happened to me to find bowls or dishes that was almost completely covered by a varnish, which turned yellow in time, and by removing it find that there was a single hairline below it.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 09:24:20 am »

That is the strangest thing Charll..

Congratulations on the bottle !
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 01:59:48 pm »

Dear Charll,
  Congratulations on a great soft paste. I too have no clue why they did this. Unless whoever did it did NOT realise that the crackling was a feature, and not a flaw.
Oh well,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 01:29:44 am »

Charll,

I read your post with great interest. I don't think I would have had the nerve to do what you did, given the same circumstances!  I too cannot fathom why anyone would do this. But the fact that both you and Giovanni have come across dishes with similar 'cover up' tells me that this practice may be more widespread than meets the eye.

I cannot comment on the dishes mentioned, but a few thoughts come to mind regarding your bottle:-

1. as Joey suggested, perhaps the crackle glaze was mistaken for a fault (unlikely, if the painter was Chinese)
2. crackle glaze may have simply gone so "out-of-fashion" at some point in time that it was worthwhile buying up older bottles and giving them a renaissance as hard paste (a parallel is the way beautiful old Victorian marble fireplaces in London homes were painted over during the years 1920-1960 when Victoriana was considered utterly tasteless)
3. to hide stolen property from detection
4. someone wanted to practice his painting skills on what was considered to be an old 'low value' bottle

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 08:49:26 am »

Tom,

Thanks for the comments.  All are points I had not considered, and gives me more to ponder. 

Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 12:01:02 pm »

Dear Tom,
    Ditto from me!  Cheesy
Best,
 Joey

Tom,

Thanks for the comments.  All are points I had not considered, and gives me more to ponder. 

Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: