About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 18, 2024, 11:29:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

A Chinese carved green tourmaline snuff bottle

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Chinese carved green tourmaline snuff bottle  (Read 397 times)
PeterH

« on: June 28, 2014, 04:53:47 am »

This green tourmaline snuff bottle shows a recumbent goat under a flowering pine tree with a flowering peach on the reverse.The stopper is deep red tourmaline. Age is stated at late 19 C. Both the bottle and top are gem quality (AADLA report). Provenace is from the Victor Topper Collection. Height minus stopper is 46 mm.

* tourmaline SB Topper goat.jpg (78.47 KB, 640x943 - viewed 33 times.)

* tourmaline SB Topper top.jpg (49.37 KB, 640x546 - viewed 21 times.)

* tourmaline SB Topper base.jpg (52.99 KB, 640x478 - viewed 22 times.)

* tourmaline sb Topper rs.jpg (58.83 KB, 640x597 - viewed 30 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 02:10:44 pm »

Dear Peter,
    A very fine bottle, even though I am partial to thin plain flasks. They are more functional, in my opinion. And they show off the stone 's colour.
    I have plans to meet Renee Topper, the late Victor's widow, for early dinner on Thur. She lives in Toronto, where I am at present, and my late parents were friends of the Toppers. I will mention the bottle and see if she has any extra information on the bottle.
Best,
Joey
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 06:33:57 pm by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 03:47:04 pm »

Very pretty bottle Peter, even though I am not as attracted to ornate carved bottles...
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 01:42:34 am »

Another interesting and fine bottle Peter.

Deep green tourmaline is quite underrated by collectors, who mostly go for the pink or pale green and pink (watermelon) varieties. Green tourmaline samples I have show much stronger dichroism than other colours. Is that the case with your bottle?

I have a couple of bottles from the Victor Topper collection too. They are plain, not ornate like yours, but exquisitely carved and finished.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 12:15:57 pm »

Victor Topper was a great collector of Archaic Chinese Bronzes, actually. His family were very wealthy Polish Jewish furriers, who emigrated to Canada just before WWI, and were big buyers in the Far East from the 1950s. Going there on business, Victor of blessed memory got interested in east Asian Arts, and in snuff bottles after meeting a couple of collectors from the DC area while on a cruise to Bermuda on his honeymoon with Renee, his dear wife. It was Victor donating 50 'rejects' from his snuff bottle collection to a charity art sale at our synagogue in Nov.1969, which led me to collect (I saw the bottles on display and got  'hooked'; and the rest is history, as they say). Victor had great taste in everything. Always well dressed, and their Toronto home is very well appointed, as well.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

PeterH

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 03:52:53 am »

Thamks to George, Tom and Joey for your invaluable information.

I obtained the snuff bottle from Oregon, USA in October 2010 a little less than 2 years since the tragic death of Victor Topper at 54 years. My notes say that the snuff bottle had been in his collection for 34 years.

After this one had been purchased another pale blue tourmaline snuff bottle from the same collection was offered for sale. I hesitated briefley and it was gone. I regret this still.

I have been reading a book " Hidden Meaning of Chinese Art" by Terese Tse Bartholomew. Published in 2006 by The Asian Art Museum, San francisco.

The goat represnts the "breath and light of life" which returns at the beginning of spring.The recumbent position may be a symbol of piety.The pine (page 210) is evergreen hardy and long living. It probably represents fortitude of a husband and wife and wishes for longlevity of a bride and groom.

The flowering peach has two fruit representing a long life, abundance of blessings and sons (page 204).The blossoming peach tree represents spring and regreneration.

The bottle may have been a gift to a newly wedded couple.

Asking for forgiveness for my inexperienced interpretation and inviting superior knowledge.

Best wishes Peter
Report Spam   Logged
PeterH

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 04:11:34 am »

Dear Tom

Tourmaline pleochroism (dichroism) is definely stronger in deep green and brown stones as compared to eg pale or colourless ones (with weal dichroism).This bottles if simplified to a rectangle with short sides has been carved such that the best colour is shown on the long sides. The shorter sides show deeper colour with stronger dichroism.

The carver of this bottles has also created a wrap around effect along the bottle with the elongated foliage.

Hypotheticaly with a light green stone the reverse would have applied to maximinise the deeper green colour.

Aquamarine specimens vary markedly in dichroism which can be very weak in some.

I have just recovered from a computer crash with several days downtime and am pleased to be online again. Fortunately everything was backed up.

Best wishes to everyone  Peter
Report Spam   Logged
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 04:39:18 am »

Thanks for your comments Peter

I asked about the dichroism because I have a natural mineral 'column' of dark green tourmaline which your bottle's colour reminded me of. Viewed against the light in one direction it is a rich deep green. Turn it through 90 degrees and it appears almost black.

Interesting what you say about dichroism in aquamarine varying from specimen to specimen. I wonder if this variation is a regional characteristic allowing one to better guess where a particular piece comes from.

Glad to here your computer crash didn't cause any permanent loss of data.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: