About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 01:04:48 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Home Computers and other such IT stuff

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Home Computers and other such IT stuff  (Read 769 times)
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« on: June 24, 2014, 01:08:36 pm »

Hi All

GEORGE  :  YOU  MAY  CONSIDER  TO  MAKE THIS A   STICKY  TOPIC !

As  I'm sure  all of  you   know,  I'm    now  retired  and  thus   heavily  dependent  on  my  home  laptop  because  my  laptop   support  is  no longer  covered  by  my  previous  company's  IT   external  consultant  company.

BTW:  with  an  office  in  Hong Kong  of  only  10   staff   the  IT  consultant  had to  visit  the  office   at least once  per  week for  a  couple  of  hours ,  so  software  problems  are  an  on-going thing,  just like   car  maintenance  Good  Software    support  =  Pay  Fair  Fees

Car  maintenance  is  the  best analogy that I  can  think of  :  would   you   hope  to  drive  your   car  "forever"  without  at least   an  annual  maintenance   check, and a  good  (cheap)  local  garage when  it  suddenly  breaks  down ?   Yet most  of  us    treat  our  home  computers /  laptops  as  if  they  will  live  "forever"  Then  we  are   shocked   when the  computer   crashes   and  we  lose  months  -  if  not  years  -  of   stuff  /  correspondence  in a   single irrevocable  instant ! 
We  only  have  ourselves  to  blame.

(Just as  I  only had  myself  to blame   when  my  car  broke  down  in the  middle  of   a  Hong Kong  high-volume-traffic freeway   and  blocked    traffic  miles  back :  Hey  - it  was a   1986  Porsche  944  Turbo,  albeit   antique  vintage,  but  even  Porsche   cars  break  down    'without  notice'   as  do   IBM/ Lenovo   Laptops  of  much more  recent   vintage)

David  Osborne,  who  runs  the   Snuff  Bottle  Collectors'  Club   recently  had  a   total   time-out  for  several  months  because  his  computer  crashed !

Most  laptops   carry  a   3  -year   warranty ,  extendable  to  at  max    one  extra  year ,  thus  total   4  years

With  luck,  a  lap  top  (or  home  desk-top computer)  will   USUALLY  easily  last  3 -4  years . But   sometimes  NOT so, as  my  Brother  recently   found  out  to his  cost  having  bought  a  new cheap  ACER   desk  Top  which   totally crashed   after  6  months.  He  lost  years of  photographs  because  he  had  no  back-up  and  he  trusted   "the new  computer"

I  suspect that   lap  tops  'on  average'   last  longer   than  desk  tops   because:

a)  they  cost much   more   than a  simple  home  desk-top  computer

b) they  are  built  to  survive

I  have  a  IBM/ Leno  X60   in my  old  company's  office  which  is  is  still   going   strong    after  10  years   !

I  have  been  running  Windows  XP   for  a  decade,  but  finally  Windows   shut  down  support  for  XP    ( Thanks  Mr  Gates   for  your  'generosity'  for loyal  long-serving  customers !  F**k  You  !)

So  I  had  to  upgrade  my  software  and  also  at the  same   time  my   Laptop  (My  IBM / Lenovo  X201   was  past  its   3  + 1   year  warranty   date).

Thus  I  made  the    strategic  decision  to  buy  a new  IBM / Lenovo  X240 *   and  have  it  installed  alongside  my  old  IBM/ Lenovo X201   at  home  eve  though I  had  to  pay  a  US100  additional  "installation   fee"  .

I  always   run my  old  laptop  in parallel  to my latest  laptop  because  my Snuff  Bottle  DB,  which is  now  4,000  hours  of  work  =  2  years  full-time  work ,  is  invaluable .

If  I lose  that  DB  (  11  GB)  and  the   supporting  files  (  25  GB)  I  lose everything

I  consulted  my  previous  company's   IT   Consultant  and  got  the  best  hardware  deal (all  IT  Consultants   can  get  special  hardware  deals on which they make  some  private  money/  commission   but  you   still save  money  :  simple  fact  of  IT-life)

But  then   comes  instillation-time!

Our  IT- Consultant   had a  whole  load  of  over-the -counter  options  to  improve  my  home  office   system  so  we  went   together  to the  local   Computer  Center  and  bought  them .  Paid  cash .

Now  my  home  office  system  runs  at  warp  speed  and  is  fully backed  up   24/7

If  you   are   a computer nerd  -  like  George  -  then  OK  you  know  the  risks   you  take  by  not  paying  for  professional   back-up  and  you  take  those   risk.

And  you  know  the  costs   at  bottom-market  rate  to  get the  "best-at-the-cheapest" 

It's up  to  you

You  pay  for   what  you  get ! 

Good  luck  when  your     super-cheap   home-computer   crashes

Don't   expect  any  help !  *

But  hard  fact   is  that  my entire  new  home   computer    +  new  laptop  base
 cost  less  than my  latest   supreme  VMIPB   bottle   

Cheers

Peter
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 06:16:41 pm »

Yes, there are little rituals necessary for keeping the forum running smoothly..  Although, no worries about loosing it.. It is backed up..

A couple of easy options for backing up hard drive data on a home computer can be a simple external ( secondary ) hard drive, and or there are also many online options for storing/backing up the data on a computer..

For those with any kind of hosted blog, website, or eCommerce websites, the hosting service used will also provide plenty of back up storage, and the data you want to back up does not have to be connected in any way to the site you are paying them to host..

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 09:49:08 pm »

I  have  been  running  Windows  XP   for  a  decade,  but  finally  Windows   shut  down  support  for  XP    ( Thanks  Mr  Gates   for  your  'generosity'  for loyal  long-serving  customers !  F**k  You  !)

Thanks Peter,

You took the words out of my mouth. As this is a public post, I hope Mr. Gates reads it.   Wink

All your comments make perfect sense. It's good to be reminded from time to time that our computers are NOT infallible.

Cheers,
Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 04:09:49 pm »

Hi   Tom

Unfortunately,  even  if  Bill  Gates   ever   read  my  F**K   you  comment  it   would be   water  off a  duck's  back.

He  was  clever  enough  to  ransom the   world  to  Windows   so  he   never  has  to  watch his  back.
I'm  just   somewhat  glad  that  he  is   giving  back  some  of  his  money  to   charity  on a  huge  scale.

What  dazzled   me   was  the    number of things  my  IT  guy  has   installed, and  how  cheap they  all are.

I now  have  at  home :

1.  A  1  x  TB   hard-disc  (  with a  built -in  double  copy   1 x  TB    for    extra   safety) ,  which  communicates  by   wifi   with  both my    lap tops (the  old   Lenovo  X201  and the  new   Lneovo X240 )

2.  A  warp  speed   wifi     speed-booster   . 

Backing  up   stuff  on the   1  TB  HD  nows   goes  faster than  using my  HK  Office    server   which needs  a   cable   connection

3.   And  cutest  of  all   :  A     tiny coin-sized  button    which   enables  me  to   switch  between  lap tops   , but  still use the   same   keyboard,  mouse  and  external  display  screen

Totally  amazing !

All those  extras   cost  less than US $  400    on  top of  US$  1,200  for the  new  X240   with  all the  whistles  and  bells  +  LEGAL   Windows  7   (Mr  Gates  -  please  note)

If  you, like me,  are  increasingly  dependent  on  your  home  computer    then  it's  worthwhile  to  invest  in  it

I recently   sold my car  because  I  use  it  so  rarely and  it  cost me  so much to   park  it  and  maintain  it.  Taxis  in  Hong Kong   are  so  plentiful that one  only  has to  wave a  hand , so  why  bother   with  driving ?
And I  can now  drink     while  eating  out,  whereas  before  - because  of  HK's  new   draconian drink-drive laws - that was  a  total  no-no 

The  one  thing  I  refuse  to  do is  to buy an  I-phone.  My  mobile  phone  is    still   stone- age  vintage.  Because  I  know  that  if  I  have  an  I-phone   I  would  become  like   all the   zombies  I see every  day -  glued to the   wretched  thing  in their  hand

Cheers

Peter

Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 03:14:32 pm »

Hi  All

To   continue  this   thread    I  cut n  paste    part   of    something   which  I  privately   sent to   George

My  new  home  IT  set-up is  amazing :  I  have  both my  old  Lenovo X201S  and  the  new   X240   with  1  TB  HD    running  in parallel   and I   can  switch between   them  at the  press  of a  little   button  (  dozens  of  cables  behind that    button   to  switch     display/ keyboard /mouse   but  it   works     and the  button  "thing"  only  cost  US$25   thanks to my  IT   guy)

Plus   warp  speed    wifi   and a   2  TB   "server"  /  back-up    via   wifi    with     redundant  HD . All  in my  home  !

Can  it  get    any   better  than   this ?

(Jack  Nicholson )

But   seriously ,  now  that  I'm  retired I'm  completely dependent  on my   computer.  If  I  have  a  crash  it's  potentially   fatal,  hence  I  opted  for the   X240    with   extended  1  TB   HD  instead  of the  "lightning  fast"  X240S    with  SS  250 GB  HD.  I  heard  nasty  stories   that  if   a   SS  HD  crashes  that is  the  end,   whereas   good  old  spinning  HD  can always   recover  data

And  all this   cost me  less than  one    Da  Yong    prime  bottle   in  Hengshui  in May ..... RMB 20,000

Message   to  you  all  ..... 

I  recently     sold  my  car.  I  will  never  drive  again  in   Hong Kong  because    it   simply  makes  no  economic  sense. To   run  /  park   /  maintain  a   car  in HK  plus  depreciation   on  a  new  car   -  that  costs  at least  US$10,000    p.a   total

And  I  pay  max   US$100  p.m. taxi   fares  ,  and  HK  taxis   can be  caught   at the   drop  of a  hat  (and  no   drink-drive  danger  when  entertaining  friends ! ) 

Bottom  line  :  invest  in your  home   computer   system.  There's    stuff  out  there  that  you   would  NOT  believe   to   tweak  up  your  home    lap  top,   accelerate the   wifi  speed,    create   instant  back-up, whatever ....    etc

Cheers

Peter

PS :  I  still  don't  use  an  I-Phone  because  I  know  if  I   did  so  I  would  become  addicted.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 03:16:48 pm by Peter Bentley 彭达理 » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: