About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 12:42:09 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

My VMIPB Data Base

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My VMIPB Data Base  (Read 326 times)
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« on: June 11, 2014, 04:02:24 pm »

Hi  All

I  have   finally decided  to  put  my  data  base  on-line  as  a  commercial  proposition

The  reason is  not  "money"  per  se   ( as  if  I  lack  it  :  my retirement  income  is   actually  more  than  what  I  ever  earned  per  month as  a  salaried  employee  due  to  some  post-retirement   consultancy   work )

It's  to  put  a  fair value  on  a  product   which  has   a   fair market   value ,  which  includes    scans   of   numerous  VMIPB   books,  each of  which themselves cost me  US$100-200  per book .

Not to  mention  over   4,000   hours  of  part-time    work   delving  into  the  www  and  downloading   MIPB pics,   which  work  =   total    2 x    working  years   at  normal  40  hours -per-week   working   rates

The  DB  (latest version)  is  on  special  offer  to   current    Forum  members  (only)  @  US$50    until  end  of  2014

After  that  the  flat  price   will be  US$500  per  copy  (on  USB  stick)

Once an  owner  is  "registered"   I  will   renew  the  DB  to  that  owner   if  he/ she  sends  me  back their  USB  stick    at the  end  of  each  year  and  post  it   back  with the  latest  version    for  US$100  ( postage  included) 

Anyone   who  sends  me   serious  sets  of    pics  of  their   collection  of  bottle,   dutifully  coded  by  artist  name,  provenance etc  can  get  a  copy of the     latest  DB     version  free

Cheers
 Peter
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 06:50:01 pm »

Hi All,

Some recent  correspondence  with a  potential new Forum member prompts me to remind  Forum Members that  my VMIPB  Data Base  is  still available for  sale.

It's  currently almost  13 GB and includes about 10,000  pics of  VMIPB  bottles, not to mention numerous  scans of VMIPB  books and catalogs.

The  price  is  US$ 500,   which  includes the   USB stick and  P&P.

I  somewhat  regret that  I  feel I have to charge,  but in  point of  fact, it  does  take  almost a  day to  download  13  GB  to a  USB stick, then pack it  up  well and queue  at the  post  office to  post it  off  by registered mail.

Also, it does seem to me, anecdotally,  that when  I have  given away copies  in the  past, or  sold  for  just a  nominal cost,  that  some - but of course  not all recipients - never  really  put  my  DB to good  use  : rather  like  being   given a copy  of  Encyclopedia  Britannica  but then  never  reading  it (!)

(Sorry, but the  previous  offer  to Forum  members  at only  $50 closed at the  end  of  2014. Also  my previous  offer to  update  the  DB is also closed,  because it takes  as  long  (if not  longer) to  update  an old  copy  than to download a  new copy)

Cheers
Peter
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 06:51:36 pm by Peter Bentley 彭达理 » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: