About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 03:59:55 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

White Jade Snuff bottle with coral caps

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: White Jade Snuff bottle with coral caps  (Read 294 times)
Bottleinpocket
« on: June 05, 2014, 10:12:18 pm »

I am a newbee here ,This beautiful bottle was just bidded in a local auctioneer in toronto when I visited this lovely city in this april .Very good quality of hetian white jade, maybe chien-lung period.
Grant

* image.jpg (12.48 KB, 260x336 - viewed 35 times.)

* image.jpg (167.87 KB, 943x1221 - viewed 30 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 12:16:09 am »

I can not comment to age, but wanted to say it is a beautiful bottle ...
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 12:22:24 am »

It is indeed!
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 01:48:56 am »

Dear Grant,
welcome here.
Is there a reason why you think that the bottle could be Qianlong? By the pictures provided it is impossible to tell at least if the bottle is antique or not. You should show the mouth, the foot and tell us how it is hollowed.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 05:15:46 am »

Dear Grant,
    Welcome from me as well.
    Which auction house in Toronto sold this bottle? I know Sotheby's, Waddington's, Ward-Price, and Gallery 68 Auctions in Toronto.
As Giovanni pointed out, we can not tell that it is antique from the photos, or even if it is actually nephrite jade. The shape is quite elegant, and like that of many of the Qianlong period bottles.  The colour is like those one sees after the Qianlong Emperor reconquered the western territories which supplied a lot of the nephrite jade to the Chinese market.
    From the end of the Kangxi reign (from around 1720) through the Yongzheng reign (1722-1735) and till the late 1750s, the territories to the west of 'Han' China were in revolt, and the finest nephrite was not getting through to the carvers. As a result, we see a lot of SUPERB bottles carved out of really ugly pieces of jade.
   Even Imperial Palace Workshops wares (like the famous  J & J Li collection bottle of the monkey doing a handstand on a lingzhi fungus, illustrated in H.Moss, Silica OR Quartz Group, #187; This is one of the finest jade carvings it has ever been my privilege to hold; and one of the cruddiest pieces of jade!), were made from whatever dregs of jade were available.
  So, if this is indeed Qianlong period, as it may well be, and jade, as it seems to be, it would most probably date from ca.1760 to ca.1800.
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: