About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 01:40:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

A garnet snuff bottle

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A garnet snuff bottle  (Read 218 times)
PeterH

« on: June 03, 2014, 06:37:51 pm »

This garnet snuff bottle is 55 mm high without the top. It was won at auction described as a ruby matrix snuff bottle, but the description stated uncertainty.

Unlike ruby this bottle is inert under both long and short wave ultraviolet light. Use of the dichroscope shows no colour intensity change in the two image boxes during rotation . Hence it is single refractive (ruby is double refractive).

The snuff bottle shows a little matrix which is not present in the image.

I would  appreciate any opinions of age.

Best wishes PeterH

* carved garnet snuff bottle.jpg (91.4 KB, 581x800 - viewed 35 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 09:04:34 pm »

Hi Peter,

An interesting bottle. To be honest, I have never knowingly seen a garnet snuff bottle until you began posting. That is one of the great things about this Forum - always something new to learn, even though some of us have been collecting for decades!

Judging from the shape of the bottle and carving alone, I would guess the one in your illustration was made around the 1960s or 1970s. That was when a lot of 'novelty' bottles began to appear on the market, using unusual or exotic materials. There may well be a handful of genuine old garnet snuff bottles, but if so, they are hiding under different labels, since I am not aware of any recorded examples.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 07:04:44 pm »

Dear Peter,
    I would agree with everything Tom wrote. I like this bottle. It looks like it would feel really good in the hand.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: