About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 16, 2024, 09:28:31 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

New question....

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: New question....  (Read 1676 times)
misfit38
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2014, 12:26:39 am »

Hi Joey

I liked it, as Brenda says, because it pleased me, not because of the artistry. I do like ducks and birds and wildlife in general, so I do tend to like those types of items. The design I liked, even if it wasn't the best in the world.

Kaz
Report Spam   Logged
wgeoff
Private Boards

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2014, 03:48:27 am »

These are Mallard ducks.

The Mandarin Ducks which you see in UK are from feral populations established in UK in the early 20th C. Wood Duck are escapes from local wildfowl collections.

Many UK birds are introduced from elsewhere - Pheasants are a classic example, from the east somewhere and introduced around the 12th C.

Geoff
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 03:56:18 am by wgeoff » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2014, 04:43:41 am »

Dear Kaz,
    I meant no offense, but as a collector, I look for quality of artistry, quality of design, and if it is antique, authenticity. This bottle has none of those, I'm sorry to say. And it has the mold 'damage', as well.
    I was responding to Brenda's query, as a request to know if she should purchase the item. In my considered opinion, she should definitely NOT do so. She would just be throwing her money away.
That's 'my two cents', as Steven likes to say.  Wink
Best,
 joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Private Boards

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2014, 04:49:19 am »

Dear Geoff,
    That is very interesting. Thank you.
I had assumed that Wood Ducks were native to Europe, but realise that they are actually native to NE USA and SE Canada, where I am also native (Toronto).  Wink
Best,
 Joey
Report Spam   Logged

seadancer1

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2014, 05:47:43 pm »

I look for quality of artistry, quality of design, and if it is antique, authenticity. 

I agree with you Joey......wether it be snuff bottles, nesuke, chinese porcelains, even antique dolls or jewellery ect. the serious collector looks (and pays for) all these things.......but.....in the way of the world, deep pockets are needed to be this serious. Sad
   Lets face it, what some would see as a real bargain, others would not be able even to consider buying......and saving up is fine, if you have both the time and patience, and if you can bring yourself to ignore other 'more important' needs, such as household bills that somehow appear just as you dont need them to. The days of finding sleepers are long gone, and Sotherbys and the like are not even in the equasion.
So what is a poor collector to do....especially when one is hitting the age when  long term plans are in the past. I have still yet to answer that question. Smiley
Cheers, Brenda
Report Spam   Logged
Private Boards

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2014, 06:33:42 pm »

Dear Brenda,
    There ARE still sleepers out there, and when you least expect it, you will find one. And you want to have the funds to be able to take advantage of the opportunity, when it arises.
    I will never forget reading about a French lady near Giverny who sold dry-goods from her shop with her husband, including cloth to some of the Impressionist Masters, for their paintings.
   They owned the ground floor, where they had their store, half the first floor, where they had an apartment which they rented out, and all the third floor, where they lived.
   A solicitor, who owned the second half of the first floor and used it as his office. These people were in their 70s, and he bought their whole part of the building from them, paying them 40% up front and  3% a year after that, with the condition being that they could live in it till their deaths. At their deaths, he would stop paying out.
   Her husband died within 3 years. The next one to die, was the solicitor, after 20 years! Then his son, 22 years after that! She ended up live till almost 120, and collecting a lot more than 170% of her property's value, as well as outliving those who expected her to die soon.
   You don't know how long you've got. Your doctors don't either.
Only G-D Knows.
G-D Bless,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

seadancer1

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2014, 03:21:16 am »

Joey you have a heart of gold and I know you did'nt mean to offend, nor was I offended. Maybe some day I will find that sleeper........one things for sure,I wont give up looking!  Wink
Cheers, Brenda
Report Spam   Logged
Private Boards

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2014, 09:43:43 am »

Dear Brenda,
 That's the spirit! or to translate it into Aussie, "Good On Ya!"   Grin
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2014, 12:24:50 pm »

Dera Joey you make me have a good laugh as usual. haha
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2014, 02:43:26 pm »

Dear Giovanni,
    After 3,800 years, Judaism has taught us to be optimistic, and that laughing is better than crying.
Best,
 Joey
Report Spam   Logged

seadancer1

« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2014, 02:28:56 am »

Too right mate!  Grin Grin Grin
Cheers, Brenda
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: