About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 03:17:43 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

The origin of the names of the 5 Modern Schools of Inside Painting

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: The origin of the names of the 5 Modern Schools of Inside Painting  (Read 2045 times)
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« on: May 27, 2014, 08:53:57 am »

Hi  All

While   researching   for my  lecture  in  Xian  in October, I suddenly  realised   why the   5   Modern  Schools  are  named as they  are.

They   are  simply the  old  /  short  Chinese names  of the  provinces  in  which the  cities are where the   artists  live.

(These  short  names  are   still used  on car  number plates)

Thus  Jing  =  Beijing

Ji   =   Hebei  (  Hengshui and  Shijiazhuang)

Lu   =  Shangdong (  Zibo)

Yue  =  Guangdong ( Shantou)

and of  course....

Qin  =   Shaanxi  (Xian)

I guess  this  was    always   taken  as  such   an obvious   fact  by  any  Chinese- speaking  collector  that   they never thought  to  comment  on it ,  but  even having    lived  in China  for   30  years  and  collected  for   nearly 10  years,  this    simple  fact   completely  passed  me  by.

Goes to  show,  one is never  too old to  learn  new things !

See the  attached   word.doc

Cheers
Peter

* Short Chinese Names for Provinces.doc (75 KB - downloaded 39 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 03:08:49 am »

I guess  this  was    always   taken  as  such   an obvious   fact  by  any  Chinese- speaking  collector  that   they never thought  to  comment  on it......

Goes to  show,  one is never  too old to  learn  new things !

Thanks for that Peter! So true.

That is one reason why I, as a non Chinese-speaker, would never attempt to become a serious collector of IP bottles. It's rather like the handicap a dolphin might face in deciding to take up ornithology (swimming around with things going on way over my head).  Grin

Tom
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 02:31:47 am by Wattana » Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 01:19:34 am »

Hi  Tom

Grin

But  seriously,  I  hope  that  what  I  present  at  Xian   for  the  ICSBS    convention  will  persuade  Western collectors  that  knowledge  of  Chinese  is  (almost) irrelevant  when collecting     VMIPBs

The  only  important  thing is  an eye  for   beauty.

The  knowledge  about  the   history  of the 4 ( now 5)  Schools is   something  I  am  really  researching for the   first time  ever . I was  vaguely aware  of the  fact  that  the  Jing  School is  based  in BeiJING   and the  Ji  School  in Hengshui   was  founded  by  WXS  who was  originally   was  trained  in  BJ.  But I was   completely  unaware that the  Lu  School (  Shandong)  owes  its  existence to a   completely  independent   source,  dating  back to the  Middle  Period   and  a  contemporary  of  Zhou  Leyuan  et  al    named Bi Rongjiu

When I  first started  collecting  about   10  years  ago  I never  for  once  looked to  see who  painted  the  bottles  I  bought.  It  was  only  after  a  couple  of  years  I  discovered I had  been    buying  bottles  by  the same   artist  ( Song Yiming)  in  various  shops  and    even various   cities  (  BJ,  SH )    totally   independently -  just based  on the  fact that  I liked  the    style  and  class  of the  bottles.

Will   you  be  joining the   2014  Convention ?

Cheers
Peter
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 02:38:50 am »

Hi Peter,

Coming from you, that is encouraging to hear. My dolphin friends will be relieved to know, too.  Cheesy

I have promised myself that I will attend an ICSBS Convention one year, but unfortunately this year is not the one. I will be busy re-settling our daughter in the UK to start university this Autumn. And a devalued Thai Baht can only be stretched so far...!   

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 08:03:28 am »

Hi  Tom

Ok, understood

I will  post  you  a  copy  of my  presentation  in the  fulness  of time   ( the  file  is  too big to email )

Cheers

Peter

Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 09:05:39 pm »

While I'm sure they care about you greatly, why would your dolphin friends be so relieved? Will this somehow enable them to study ornithology after all?  Wink

Dear Joey,

"Precisely, my dear Watson!", as Sherlock Holmes would have said.

Peter presented the philosophical point of view that one can study, collect and appreciate objects at an aesthetic level, purely for their beauty, even if some higher level of understanding is beyond reach. This means that dolphins CAN appreciate birds flying in the sky, from their own perspective.  Cheesy

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 09:07:51 pm »

I will  post  you  a  copy  of my  presentation  in the  fullness  of time   ( the  file  is  too big to email )

Many thanks Peter. I look forward to reading it.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 04:48:16 am »

Dear Tom,
    Thank you. Now I understand. Enlightenment beckons...  Grin
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 01:16:14 pm »

Hi All

My  2014  ICSBS    Xian  Presentation  will  be  included  as   a   'bonus'    extra  to  anyone  who  buys  a  copy  of  my  latest   Data  Base ,  together  with  all the  original  scans   of  the  Old  Testament  (  J. H.  Leung's  " A  New  Look  of  Inside  Painted  Snuff  Bottles"  )  and  the New  Testament  =  CIPMA

I  have  so  far   spent   about  100  hours  on the  presentation Power  Point  Slides ...  and  it  is  only  half  finished  .... !

My  Data  Base  =   4,000  hours  of  work :  It's  the mother  lode ....  and  it  keeps   growing  by the  day

Special price   to  long-time /  sincere   Forum  members ( only)    in  2014   :  US$50

Next  year  (with  huge  up dates  -  going  on  for    20  GB )  :  US$500    flat   rate

I'm  not into    making   money  out of  all   this  :  in  fact just  the  opposite !

I  want  to   promote  my DB  for  the  good  of   the  Modern   IP   Artist   Community

But  unless  I   set  a    realistic  price  on  my  DB  ( latest   edition  ..  and there   will  be  huge   updates     every  6  months from  now  on   due  to  new  book  scans)   I  have  no  way   to "price"  my  life's  work    except   to  sell  at   a   notional  digital   USB  Memory   stick  copy

Long-term   Forum  members  will always   have preference  on  pricing    and   any  copies  I  " sell"      are   free  and  unprotected   ,  which   was  my original  mission  :   to  bring  the   whole  VMIPB   world  to  your   door  step

Cheers
Peter
Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 10:52:13 am »

Hi  again  All

1.  Thanks   to  George   for  making  this  a  "sticky"  topic   so it  stays   at the  top of the  list

2.  In preparation  for  my   2014  ICSBS  presentation  I   did  a   little   research  into my  own  Data  Base,  with  some   astounding  results

If  you   actually  have a   copy  of my  DB   you will  see that  every   artist  REAL  name  (and  in a  very  few  cases   a   artist's  pen names)  have a   code  in  {   }    brackets.

{B} =  Jing School*
{J} =  Ji School*
{L} = Lu School
{Y} = Yue   School
{Q} = Qin School

*In  very  early  versions  of the  DB  I  coded    the   Jing School  as  {J}  and the  Ji School  as  {H}   for  Hengshui

If  you   have  a  copy  of  my  DB,    do  a   "search"   routine  ( it's  the  little  magnifying  glass logo  in the   top  tool bar)

You can   type  in  anything    e.g.  XYZ (artist name)     or  {J}  or  {B}    etc and  the   search  routine   will  pull  up  all  files   with  that  in the   file name

Thus  you  can   search  for   all the    Ji,  Jing,  Lu  Yue,  Qin   school  artists  respectively

I  have  not  yet   coded  the   Ji  School  artists   who have  recently  moved  to  live  and  work  in  Xian ( Song Yiming,  Zhang Limin,    and a   half   dozen  others )   so  not   surprisingly   the   Qin  School  only gets  one  hit  under the  {Q}    search  =  Zhang  Tieshan

Next   comes  the   Yue   school  with  9  hits

The  Lu  school  scores 91  hits

The  Ji  school  scores   an  astounding   405  hits

But the   Jing  school   scores  a  mere  44 hits  (of  which  several   are the  original  Ye  family  from the  end of the   Middle   Period)   

So  what   went   wrong   with  the   Jing  School ? 

And  what   did   WXS  do  so   right   to make the   Ji  School   flourish   so much ? 

I think I  know the   answer re  the  Jing  School,  but  it's a   dark   secret,  if  true,  and  I  will  not  post  it  even  in the  Private   Section.  I  will  only  discuss  by  private  email   or    private message  in the  Forum

As  for   what  WXS  did   right  -  that's  no  secret !  WXS  inspired   every  generation  of  his  pupils  to  excel  and  paint  better  that  WXS  himself  could  ever  paint

That's  true  Management   Skill !   That's  true  Leadership !!

It's   also a  management  skill  which  I  always   used  in my business  life  :  I  always   employed   staff  who  were  better  and  more  clever  than  me, and  I   taught them to   excel . 

Cheers

Peter

Report Spam   Logged

OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2015, 04:15:53 am »

Dear all,

The Snuff Bottle Committee of the Chinese Arts and Crafts Association has endorsed the 5th School of Inside Painting. It is the Dian School ( Dian [ 滇 ] in Chinese is the abbreviated form for the Yunnan Province in Southwest China ). In fact, this School was endorsed in 2011 ( it was unfortunate that we  somehow did not pick this up when he was preparing for the Xi'an Conference ).

The School physically is located in the provincial capital of Kunming. The founder was the lady IP artist,
Sun Hong Yan ( 孙鸿雁 ),who at 19 years old ( year 1994 )became a disciple of Shandong Master, Zhang Guang Qing and learnt the IP art for 5 years. Then in 1999 at age 24, she came down solo to Yunnan Province to start her Yunnan style of IP. As you know, Yunnan is a province of many minority tribes / communities. Her source of inspiration naturally comes from the 26 main tribes of this province.

For your information, please.

Inn Bok

* sun hong yan-7.jpg (10.97 KB, 204x247 - viewed 27 times.)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 09:24:33 pm by George » Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2015, 05:35:33 am »

Dear Inn Bok,

Thank you for bringing this information to my attention.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2015, 07:33:50 am »

Dear Inn Bok,

Thank you for this very interesting tidbit. 
Best,
 Joey

Dear all,

The Snuff Bottle Committee of the Chinese Arts and Crafts Association has endorsed the 5th School of Inside Painting. It is the Dian School ( Dian [ 滇 ] in Chinese is the abbreviated form for the Yunnan Province in Southwest China ). In fact, this School was endorsed in 2011 ( it was unfortunate that we  somehow did not pick this up when he was preparing for the Xi'an Conference ).

The School physically is located in the provincial capital of Kunming. The founder was the lady IP artist,
Sun Hong Yan ( 孙鸿雁 ),who at 17 years old ( year 1994 )became a disciple of Shandong Master, Zhang Guang Qing and learnt the IP art for 5 years. Then in 1999 at age 24, she came down solo to Yunnan Province to start her Yunnan style of IP. As you know, Yunnan is a province of many minority tribes / communities. Her source of inspiration naturally comes from the 26 main tribes of this province.

For your information, please.

Inn Bok
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 07:51:40 am by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2015, 08:54:35 am »

Joey,
I was alerted earlier about the numerical discrepancy by YT.
I believe I missed out something in the course of translating from original Chinese text.
I will check it  out.
How's everything with you ? Are you in Ireland or Israel ? Or US ?
Regards,

Inn Bok
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2015, 09:07:23 am »

Dear Inn Bok,

Good. My 'Asperger's buttons' get pushed by obvious discrepancies.  Wink
I'm fine, back in Ireland, and just getting over the stress of my 24 day trip.  Tongue
 And busy planning my forthcoming trip after the High Holy Days, BACK to USA/Canada!  Huh   Roll Eyes

Best,
Joey
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 11:56:42 am by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2015, 09:12:45 am »

Joey,
Thanks for the update. Have a pleasant trip around 1/2 the world.
Enjoy the good times with your friends this Summer !

Inn Bok
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2015, 10:10:54 am »

Thank you Inn Bok..

May I move this to the public forum ?
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2015, 09:12:30 pm »

Joey and all,

Please correct my error of dating re. Ms. Sun Hong Yan.
According to the write-up I read, she was born in August 1975 in the city of Zibo (淄博 ), Shandong Province.
So she was 24 in the year of 1999.

George,

No problem to open this topic to the public arena.

Inn Bok
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2015, 09:20:01 pm »

Dear Inn Bok,

You can correct your initial post. Just change it to "at 19" from "at 17".
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2015, 09:24:54 pm »

Dear Inn Bok,

You can correct your initial post. Just change it to "at 19" from "at 17".
Best,
Joey

Got it for you Inn Bok..
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: