About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 20, 2024, 02:37:36 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

The origin of the names of the 5 Modern Schools of Inside Painting

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: The origin of the names of the 5 Modern Schools of Inside Painting  (Read 2087 times)
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« on: May 29, 2014, 01:19:34 am »

Hi  Tom

Grin

But  seriously,  I  hope  that  what  I  present  at  Xian   for  the  ICSBS    convention  will  persuade  Western collectors  that  knowledge  of  Chinese  is  (almost) irrelevant  when collecting     VMIPBs

The  only  important  thing is  an eye  for   beauty.

The  knowledge  about  the   history  of the 4 ( now 5)  Schools is   something  I  am  really  researching for the   first time  ever . I was  vaguely aware  of the  fact  that  the  Jing  School is  based  in BeiJING   and the  Ji  School  in Hengshui   was  founded  by  WXS  who was  originally   was  trained  in  BJ.  But I was   completely  unaware that the  Lu  School (  Shandong)  owes  its  existence to a   completely  independent   source,  dating  back to the  Middle  Period   and  a  contemporary  of  Zhou  Leyuan  et  al    named Bi Rongjiu

When I  first started  collecting  about   10  years  ago  I never  for  once  looked to  see who  painted  the  bottles  I  bought.  It  was  only  after  a  couple  of  years  I  discovered I had  been    buying  bottles  by  the same   artist  ( Song Yiming)  in  various  shops  and    even various   cities  (  BJ,  SH )    totally   independently -  just based  on the  fact that  I liked  the    style  and  class  of the  bottles.

Will   you  be  joining the   2014  Convention ?

Cheers
Peter
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: