About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 05:22:49 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Garnet snuff bottles any around ?

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Garnet snuff bottles any around ?  (Read 1145 times)
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2014, 01:15:10 am »

Here is a link to a 19C garnet snuff bottle sold at auction on 4th December 2010.

Like you have stated not many around.

Thanks Peter. That is the first 'old' garnet bottle I have knowingly seen.

Natural pebble shape bottles belong to one of the most difficult groups to date with any accuracy. Basically, because there are so few giveaway clues. One has to rely on the degree and quality of hollowing, and the neatness / symmetry of the mouth opening. Not a lot to go on! So, while I have no doubt Quinn's Auction House could justify their 19th century claim, there is hardly any way to prove it without watertight provenance going back that far.

Tom
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 01:25:36 am by Wattana » Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2014, 01:24:36 am »

The calcite dichroscope is easy to obtain from ebay and is ultra simple to use. Mine is about 7 cm long and about 1.5 cm diameter. Prices on ebay are $ 26 up plus postage and it is so simple there is no point in paying heaps. They all should work.

Hi Peter,

I just checked for calcite dichroscopes online. Their prices range from $17 (from a Hong Kong supplier) to $125 from a US source, plus everything in between from various European suppliers. They all look the same in the pictures provided. The ones in the $65-$75 range are described as "professional" quality, whatever that implies. I suspect most are made in China anyway. Is there any minimal optical quality that I should be wary of on the cheapest model?

Tom
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 02:59:09 am by Wattana » Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

PeterH

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2014, 06:07:09 am »

I think all work well and there is no difference justifying the significantly higher prices. Basically an optically pure piece of calcite defracts rays for double refracting minerals and not single refracting. Hece in the dichroscope's two viewing windows  a differnce in the intensity of colour for double refracting stones only.

With a refractometer a top of the range instrument is required to get meaningful values but the dichroscope is so simple and easy to use.
Report Spam   Logged
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2014, 09:44:17 pm »

Thanks Peter,

In that case I will go for one of the cheaper models. From what I can see, the more expensive dichroscopes come with a fancier carrying case.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: