About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 06:28:07 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Another question

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Another question  (Read 383 times)
seadancer1

« on: May 17, 2014, 06:22:38 pm »

So, having read something was painted by bamboo stick.......and something was painted by brush......how do you tell the difference?......need some education here guys!  Grin
Cheers, Brenda
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 07:04:08 pm »

Hair brushes as compared to bamboo skin or bamboo sticks were not used until 1944

Maybe some our our more experienced members would like to go into greater detail, but here is a brush example in the first pic, and bamboo in the second..

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 08:43:46 pm »

Hi Brenda,

Good question.

The painting of done by Bamboo skin and stick is quiet different from done by hair brushes, the main reason is that hair brushes can carry more ink than Bamboo skin and sticks.

In order to paint a big area, the old master have to use their hard pen( Bamboo sticks or sticks) paint back and forth, and have to dip ink very frequently than the hair brush, sometimes, they have to dip twice of ink in order to finish one stroke. Since hair brush can carry more ink, so modern artists can finish a quite few strokes with one dip.

Also since the hair brushes can carry more ink, then the strokes can have some ink dripping looking at the end, which you will barely seen on old bottles.

Here are three photos, one by old master Ye zhongsan, followed two photos by Ye's student, modern master Wang xisan,

Ye only used Hard pen, but Wang use both hard pen and soft pen on his painting, the bamboo leaves painted by soft pen( hair brush) and the animal fur was done by hard pen.

Its hard to explain, but when you study more, you should be able to tell the difference easily.

Steven

* pinetree_1.JPG (134.47 KB, 1020x754 - viewed 23 times.)

* pinetree_2.JPG (137.82 KB, 1136x748 - viewed 24 times.)

* pinetree_3.JPG (188.5 KB, 1503x757 - viewed 20 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 09:16:55 pm »

Much nicer examples, and explanation Steven... !
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
wgeoff
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 10:53:17 pm »

Thanks you Steven and George. Good learning for me too.

Geoff
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 11:14:08 pm by wgeoff » Report Spam   Logged

wgeoff
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 11:10:12 pm »

Which requires more skill - brush or bamboo?

Which does a master like Wang Xisan prefer?

Geoff
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 11:13:21 pm by wgeoff » Report Spam   Logged

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 12:05:34 am »

Hi Geoff,

I think that both have their own advantages, and need different skills to handle, but obviously the hair brush can do much more than bamboo skin and stick can , lot of techniques applied on chinese traditional painting can not applied in snuff bottle before brushed introduced, now days, inside painters can do any techniques on such small media.

There are a few of milestones on the techniques development of inside painting field, one is 撕毛技法 SiMao technique  adapted into inside painting by Wang Xisan to paint animal fur. another one is 泼墨技法 PoMo technique adapted by Suo Zhenhai to paint mountains and clouds. which makes everything is possible in inside painting.

So overall ,the brush is the revolution for inside painting. but somehow, I still prefer old style more than modern style, that is just personal taste.

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

seadancer1

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 01:59:06 am »

Looking at the photos I can see there is a difference. By trade before I retired I was a photo restorer and retoucher.......this is now a skill that is just about obsolete due to computers  Cry.... you need a trained eye for very small detail for this type of work. Thank you for showing me and other newbies the differences.
Cheers, Brenda
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: