About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 06:52:44 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Peter's VMIPB Data Base for sale

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Peter's VMIPB Data Base for sale  (Read 651 times)
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« on: May 11, 2014, 02:34:52 pm »

Hi   All

I have   decided   to  put  a price  on  my    VMIPB  data   base  :   US$ 50

It's   currently  11  GB,     going  on  12  GB

Pay  via    Paypal 

It  took  me    well  over    2   years   in  total    working    time  (i.e   2  x  2,000  hours  per    working  year )    to    build  the  DB  in my spare  time ,  spread    over  8   years    real   elapsed  time .   

Just  to buy  /  copy  /  parcel  /  post    a   USB  stick   requires  at  least   several   of  hours   work ,  not  to mention   the  time  of   going  to the  post  office,   queuing    for  up  to   one    hour, to  post  it   registered   post)

That  includes   whatever     book-scans   I   can   also    cram  into  a    16  GB   USB   stick 
(another  few  hours   work ! )

This  price   is   valid  till  end  of   2014  to  Forum members (only)

Cheers

Peter

PS  :  That   sounds  a  little  bit  mercenary  ....  I  know. 

But  I never   forget  a  hard  lesson  I  learned  in  life   decades  ago  as a  post-doc   student  living  in  an international     student   hostel.   A  lab  technician   had   huge  garden   with  apple  trees  and he  once   gave  me   a  sack  full of  apples   for  my  fellow  students   at the  hostel .  I  offered  the  apples  free  to  my  fellow   students  at the  hostel    but  no-one   was  even  interested  because   they  suspected    anything  that   was  "for  free"    was  too  good  be  true,  and  thus  suspect . 

So  I   came  back  next  day    and  offered the  apples  at a  price -   a   bargain   price    Whatever price ?  One  penny  per  apple ?  I  forget,  but  it  was    certainly a  bargain  price  (and  I  gave  all the  money  to   charity) 

And  immediately    the   sack  was  sold  out !

If  I  cost  my  DB  in terms  of  my  previous  salary  before  retirement  and  the   actual  time  it  takes   me  just   to   buy /  copy  /  post  a  USB  stick  I  should  actually  charge  US$500  per   USB  stick

If  I  cost   in my  time  to  have  built  the  DB  I  should  charge   close   to   US$ 5 K  per   USB  stick   because  it  includes  scans  of  almost every  VMIPB   book  I  could  buy  these  past  few  years, every  book   scanned,   documented    page-by-page  and  filed  per  artist.

Come  2015  and  after  the  ICSBS  2014    HK/ Xian     Convention   I  think  I  really  will    charge  US$500  per    copy  of  my  DB !    Cheesy

Why not ?  I  invested   over   4,000   hours  to  build  it  up =  2  years     normal  work-time

« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 11:30:57 am by Peter Bentley 彭达理 » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 01:38:45 am »

Peter,

I agree 100% with your proposal, and the philosophy behind it. And your 'free apples' example is so true of human nature!

Another way of looking at it is how the 'market value' would be set if your database was published as a conventionally printed book. I have not seen it, but from earlier descriptions of your database, I imagine it would take up many volumes of a large format book. Viewed that way US$500 seems a reasonable price to put on it.

Tom
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 05:30:24 am by Wattana » Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 11:13:55 am »

Hi  Tom

Thanks  for  your   feedback

The  "free   apples"   story  is  indeed   so  true of  human nature

To  buy  a   copy  of  J.H.  Leung's  "A  New  Look  of  Inside  Painted  Snuff Bottles"    now  costs  over  US$200  on the   second  hand   book  market. That's  just  the   english  version.  My  data  base  includes  both the    english  and  Chinese   versions.  Then   throw  in   dozens  of  other   VMIPB books,  including   CIPMA  ( RMB  598 - officially )    and the  "new  CIPMA"   (RMB 398  officially )  and  the  back- breaking  work  over my   office   monster  all-purpose   printer/ scanner /  photocopier   of  scanning   every  page,  and  then  the   even more  intensive   computer work  of   cropping/  titling     every  page  ....   the  mind  boggles

Literally  4,000   hours  of   actual  elapsed  time  ...   probably   closer  to  8,000   hours   if  I  include   all the   downloads   from  Bill  Patrick's   website,  the   Forum,  and  numerous  other    websites.

I now   charge  my    consultancy  time   at  US$ 2,000    per  day   to   China  customers.

Just  to  buy  / copy  /  post  a  USB  stick   really  takes  me  half   a  day's   work  =  US$1,000

So  in  fact  US$500    per    USB  stick  posted    registered   post    is a  bargain ! 

US$ 50  is a  gift  horse  looking   at  one's    face !

The  work  to  prepare  my   ICSBS   presentation  for   Xian  will  take  me   at  least  a  month,  maybe  two  months  of  real-time   work . 

So  what  should  I  charge  for  the    soft  copy  of  that  presentation ?   

(In  fact  I  intend  to  give  it  away   free   to  IBCBS 2014    participants  )

More  anon

Cheers

Peter

PS   :   If  you   tried  to  print  out  my  DB   you   would    very    quickly   run  out  paper  and  print  ink , and  probably  even  printer  lifetime 

« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 11:26:24 am by Peter Bentley 彭达理 » Report Spam   Logged

OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 09:28:42 am »

Peter,

I would not put a value to your sheer love for what you have wanted to contribute to
serious collectors ! It has been a holy grail for you since you made the choice to start it.
I salute you, Peter. Thanks you for being so generous to part one to me as a gift.

Hope to catch up with you again should I be in Hong Kong in the future.

Inn Bok
Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 04:43:23 pm »

Hi   Inn Bok   and  All

Just to  explain ,  because  I  got a  couple  of   enquiries  by  private   email  ( especially    one  from  Keith)

1. The   DB is    huge  number  of  files  -  many  hundreds   :  one  file   for  every   IPB  artist  under the  sun  (well  ...  almost    every  artist  under the    sun   :   I keep  discovering  new  modern  artists  !    Also  I recently  added  all the   Early and  Middle  period   artists   by name,    although  not  comprehensively     re their    published    IPB pics  as  per    auction catalogs,  which  would  be a  mammoth  of a  job  )

See the    two    screen  capture   jpgs  attached :  one    of the    DB (  just a   tiny  section)  and   one  of   a   typical   artist  file ( Song Yiming)  from  which  you  can  see  that there  multiple  sub-files.

The   DB  should   open  up  under  any   conventional  operating  system.

I  use  an  IBM / Lenovo    laptop   with  Windows   XP,   but  the    DB  will   open  with  any   computer  and   any     software  operating  system  because   data  files    and  jpg  pics   are  in   a  universal  common  format.

2.  Within  each  file    are  multiple    sub-files  and    sub- sub-files  and    sub-sub-sub files    etc    with     finally  jpg   pics  of  all the   publicly available   pics  of  the  artists'   IPBs , coded  and    sub-filed  depending  on the    source  material  ( e.g.  book  scan,  web-site download,   Forum  correspondence    and  pic  download    etc  :  numerous  sources,  including  my  own  300 +  bottle  collection *)

That's  why  it's  impossible  to  mount  onto   the  Cloud , which  only  accepts   individual   jpg  uploads.
 To  stab  down to  every  individual   jpg  and  upload  onto   a  cloud  would   take   me  hundreds  if  not  thousands  of  hours.  Thus  the  only  sensible  way  to   distribute  the   DB  on a  USB  stick

The    DB  files /  sub-files /   sub-sub-files / etc    contain   about   10,000  jpg  images ,  many  at very high   resolution  (  1 - 3  MB)

All my  book scans  are  at  max  resolution ( typically  3  MB  per  page)

Which is  why the   DB  is   now over  11  GB

See the   screen -  shot   capture  pics

3.  Every  artist  file  is  coded  as  to    Artist  School,  source  material (  book  scan    source  /  collector   website   etc  )    and    even  Wang Xisan   artist  "generation"

See the  attached   word.doc    which  is  of course   included  in the   DB

4.  Artist  names   are    written  in   both  PinYin  and   Chinese   simplified    characters.

A   search   routine    works  on the  DB,   whether  you   input  PinYin  or  even  Chinese   characters

5. And the  supreme  beauty  of the  DB  is that  you  can     download it and    and then  use  it   as the  basis  of  your  own personal   DB !   

You can  add/ delete /  modify  any of the  files   at  your  own  will

And  you  can  even   copy  it  on  and sell  it !  ( But  I bet  you  can never  out-pace me  in  keeping the   DB  up-to-date ,  day-by day !)   

Approximately   2  years   work   full-time  in my  part-time  = 4,000   hours,  maybe  even  8,000  hours   if  I  count  in the  time  to    download    all the   recent    years   of   Forum    VMIPB  input   and  pics

Now  available  till the  end  of   2014   for  US$50  per  copy   to  Forum members

Come   2015  :  US$500  per  copy

Cheers

Peter

* I  tell  a  small  lie :    my  own  collection is  not   yet  in  the  DB  because  I   only recently    got   round to  getting  it   professionally  photographed.   By  mid - 2014  my   own  collection   will  be  in the  DB ,  but the  photo   file   at  super-high   resolution  will   at  least  double the    size  of  the  DB  to   well over   24  GB

* Data Base Screen Capture (14.5.2014) .jpg (146.71 KB, 1000x768 - viewed 21 times.)
* ARTIST SOURCE REFERENCE CODES (Rev 15.3.2014).doc (84 KB - downloaded 10 times.)

* Data Base - Song Yimg.jpg (138.34 KB, 960x768 - viewed 21 times.)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 05:15:34 pm by Peter Bentley 彭达理 » Report Spam   Logged

wgeoff
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 04:12:59 am »

Peter

I will gladly pay you $50 for my copy - next time I see you. It's a great research tool.

Geoff
Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 06:20:22 am »

Hi   Geoff

Grin

Just  buy  me a  pie  and  pint   at  Delaney's  next time  we meet !

I  gave  you a   copy  of the   DB  as a   friend, as  indeed  I have  give  out  many   copies to friends  in the  past.  I didn't  even  charge  for  the   USB  stick and the  postage.

But   I'm    about to    do a  lot  of  very  serious  scanning  of the  books  in my collection   now that  our  office  has  a  scanner  that  can   do  two pages  at a time,  and  even  automatically  separate the  pages  numerically.

Also  I  have  yet to  add my   own  collection  of  VMIPB  pics   which  took  10 days  to  photograph professionally   and  will   add a  lot more  GB.

So  I  will   indeed charge   for  later  versions  of the   DB to  new  applicants.

On the  other  hand,   for   any   sincere  collectors  who  send  me  pics    of their  VMIPBs   on a  USB  stick , neatly  and    correctly  filed  by  artist , every  jpeg named / titled , ready-to-include  in the   DB    at the  click of  mouse, I  will  of  course   send  back  the  latest  version of the   DB  on the  USB  stick  for  free.

I  always  intended  the  DB  to   be a    free-for-all  cooperative  project   between many  collectors.  But  so  far  hardly anyone  -  in fact  I think NO-ONE  -  has  ever  sent  me  their   pics  or  book-scans  on a  USB  stick    which I  can  conveniently  use.   Sad

Every time  there  are  few  pics  posted  on the   Forum  I   studiously  download them , title,  add  whatever  info  was  in the  posting,  make an associated  word.doc  and   mount  back into  my  DB  for  posterity (coded  "F"  for   Forum)   But that  work  is  literally    30 - 60    minutes  per  pic ( or  long  posting - as  in your  case  )
It  often   comes  to  several  hours  per  week . 

So I think it's  come to the  point  where  I need  to  charge  for  the  DB. 

US$50  for the  rest of   2014  for   Forum members  ( only)

After that  US$500  per  update   copy  - and  it's  still a  bargain  at that  price !

Cheers

Peter

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: