About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 11:41:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Inside painted Bottle Dong Yue?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Inside painted Bottle Dong Yue?  (Read 332 times)
kjennings12

« on: May 10, 2014, 03:54:11 pm »

My wife picked up this bottle recently and I think it's signed Dong Yue, not sure about dating, the IP bottles always confuse me...

* yue.jpg (32.3 KB, 533x640 - viewed 41 times.)

* yue 2.jpg (33.01 KB, 530x640 - viewed 31 times.)

* yue1.jpg (27.51 KB, 640x340 - viewed 15 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 05:05:57 pm »

Hi Keith,

You are right about Dong Yue, it could be winter time, not the artist's name. it should be painted in 2004, the script can be read" painted in the winter of 2004".

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

kjennings12

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 07:34:06 am »

Hi Steven,

I would have never guessed it was dated Jia Chen, the chen part threw me. I am curious why you think it's 2004 rather than 1944, not that I'm doubting your opinion. I would just like to know more about dating IP bottles. Is it the style of painting, bottle shape, colors, everything combined, the force?

Thank you,
Keith Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 09:19:58 am »

Hi Keith,

Its the painting style led me to believe its a modern bottle,  the way the leaves, grass, figures to be painted are all point to the modern techniques, also the tools to be used for the bottles are hair brushes instead of bamboo skin and bamboo sticks which were not invented before 1944, I actually thought the bottle could be a little bit earlier than 2004 when I see the bottle, the glass bottle itself does look older than 2004.

Anyway, if the bottle was false dated, it could be 1980-2000 bottle, if it was not false dated, its 2004.

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

kjennings12

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 05:30:46 am »

Thank you Steven! I have a lot to learn still...

Keith
Report Spam   Logged

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 11:04:11 am »

Keith,

I would firmly rely on Steven’s insight for he is usually spot-on when it comes to interior painted bottles.   I also, agree with Steven’s assessment.  The color palette used and the style of the painting is quite modern.  If dated as indicated to be 2004, I would suspect it is 2004.   

Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: