About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 04:10:58 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Fairies

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairies  (Read 570 times)
wgeoff
Private Boards

« on: May 09, 2014, 12:51:48 am »

Back in Hong Kong after three weeks in UK.

I like surrounding myself with beautiful Chinese ladies - as IP Snuff Bottles I mean, of course, apart from my wife.
I believe these are usually called 'fairies'? - anyway, I have lots of them but here are three.

Apart from the usual date, artist name and school, I'm also interested whether any particular story lies behind the painting. I think they are 1998 bottles, the calligraphy looks similar so they may be the same artist, but the stories are very different.

The first shows a boy up a tree (we had this before, I think it was agreed as 'collecting mulberry leaves' but is this the same?) and a man entertaining children with a child's rattle I think

The second shows a lady lying on a bench attended by other ladies and an old man watering his roses while surrounded by young ladies (in my dreams?)

The third one shows ladies with swords defending their honour from some rather ugly old men, and one beautiful lady being warned by another with a sword not to go near the rather dodgy looking young man next to her

So, what is going on here?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 02:20:49 am by wgeoff » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 03:11:35 am »

Beautiful bottles as always !!

Just a couple of guesses for a couple of the scenes..

I think this scene is of Fairy Maidens..

Then the closest I can find to this scene is called "Kids Playing", but can not explain the male character to the right.. Perhaps a peddler with his wares ?

A Mom accompanied by a maidservant looking after here children who are frolicking in the garden.

As depicted in this Ming silk scroll..

« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 03:24:46 am by George » Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 06:29:05 pm »

Here we go Geoff..

For your second bottle found an example painted by Zhang Rucai, ( ref. ) New Look, Chinese Inside Painted Snuff Bottles, pg 74.

The one side is described as, Drunken Shi Xiangyun Sleeping in Chinese Herbaeous Peony Garden.

The other side is described as, Qui Weng Meeting with Fairy Maidens.

It was easier for me to snap a pic describing in detail the stories..

Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 06:58:34 pm »

For your last bottle Geoff is an example painted by Yang Shiyun, New Look, pg 170..

Described as, The Tale of the White Snake.

Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
wgeoff
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 04:31:05 am »

Wow George, thank you so much for this.

Following your example, I quickly scanned through 'A New Look' and found several other examples of earlier bottles showing scenes similar to the ones I have, both in these three and other bottles in my collection.

For example, p146 362 and 362B by Wang Dongping seems to show the drunken Shi Xiangyun again (just waking up) together with Ladies Playing Chess, a design I have on another bottles, but here is labelled 'Twelve Golden Hairpins'.

It seems that later artists found their inspiration from these earlier bottles, maybe through "A New Look' itself. But I guess that was already well known to everyone.

Thanks again George.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 04:35:57 am by wgeoff » Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 02:36:07 pm »

Yes, I saw those others as well...

The New Look is a wonderful reference... !
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
seadancer1

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 05:07:06 pm »

They are wonderfull......you could spend hours just looking at them!  Smiley
Cheers, Brenda
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: