About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 02:35:26 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Some incredibly interesting news !

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Some incredibly interesting news !  (Read 2830 times)
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« on: May 01, 2011, 10:08:35 pm »

Hi All

This  morning  I was   chatting  ( in Chinese)  with a  young  up-coming    Hengshui  artist whom I  admire  very much  :  Hu  Xiaoran  aka   Xiao  Quan  ( CIPMA   268/9) 

I have more  of  his  bottles  than  from any other  artist .

Hu Xiaoran  is  very  computer -savvy, which is   why  he's the  only  artist  I know   who  regularly  uses   MSN   chat  (probably   other  artists  use  QQ   for  chat,  which is a   100%  Chinese  thing  / inacessible  for   westerners )

When we  were   chatting this  mormning   he  flashed  up  the  pic  of the  large   internally-lit   magnifying  glass   that  I  posted the  other  day  in the  members'  lounge, and  asked  what it  was.  .

That  particular pic    was  only taken a  couple  of  days  ago at  my  home, so   certainly  the  only way  Hu Xiaoran     saw  it  was  via  a    direct  viewing  of the   Forum  , or  via  a   friend   who viewed the  forum   direct

Now  that is  GREAT  NEWS    because  it means   some  young  Hengshui  artists   who  are  computer- savvy  have logged  into the   Forum !

The  only  problem  is  that  the  forum  is all in English.  But  Hu Xioaran had  already   put  some  postings   through a   translation   software  to  make  them  understandable !  Now  THERE  is one  clever  guy  in  Hengshui !

This  could  be the   start  of  something     big  !   I mean    BIG   !!

GEORGE  :   Seems   you  have  started a  beautiful and   wonderful  ball  rolling  ! If  so ... it  can only go  downhill.   Yeah !

Grin    Grin    Grin    Grin     Grin    Grin

Cheers  Peter

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 01:52:33 am »

Fantastic !

How cool it would be to actually have artists join in here ! It would not get much better than that !

I do not own the software for this forum. The folks that do are bound by the Patriot Act and requires that the only language we can use here is English. Based on the "fear" of potential secret messages being transmitted via their software and forums.

I agree that this is pretty darn exciting Peter !  Grin
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 03:17:14 am by Bottle Guy » Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 03:12:14 am »

Hi  George

We   cannot   change  the  language  of  the    Forum  ,  and  I am probably  only  one  of  a  few   western  members   with  enough   Chinese  language   skills  to   even    chat  in Chinese  characters    direct    with    artists  (  but  I must   confess  my  level  is  very    basic  /  only   short  message   standard )   

RICHY  :  Where  are  you  Huh     REALLY  Need  you ! 

But  obviously    the  Forum  is  catching on !  Smiley

Even in  Heng Shui  !!!   Cheesy 

Hu   Xiaoran  is  one   THE  most  intelligent    persons  I have  ever  met  in my  life .  That   shows  immediately  in his  face
and  when  I met  him the   first  time  I immediately   recognized   his   intelligence 

He is  also  one  of  THE  most  brilliant   and talented  new  up-coming   artists   in Heng Shui 

I think that   with  Hu  Xiaoran involved     we may  find  that some  lurkers  are  actually  artists  in  disguise  ....

Cheesy

Cheers  Peter

Report Spam   Logged

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 05:33:48 am »

This is really cool Peter...!!! Should not be that hard to find a way to translate/communicate with them, at least on a basic level.  But we do need a few native Chinese speakers here who can be the go-between.  Indeed too bad we have not heard from Richy here.  Wonder what is going on!  Any other Chinese speaking and writing members here that can help?   
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 08:29:16 am »

Hi  Pat,

Yes  , I am  still   reeling in shock .

Shocked 

Hu Xiaoran also   flashed  back to me  some  other  pics  I posted  on the  Forum (   e.g  my  2  cats  painted  by   one of  Li  Shouxun's  senior  students  and   a   Li Shouxun  landscape  commission   painting )  . I posted  those  pics  a couple of weeks  ago, so they  were   deep  inside  the  Forum, not on  top.

So  either  Hu  Xiaoran  or   someone else  in  Hengshui has been  following the  Forum for   quite some time 

I am   wondering  if it  had  anything to  do  with the  fact that  I  added  my  Chinese  name  to my  Forum ID.  Many   Hengshui  artists  know  my Chinese  name .  Also  I am the  only  person  ( so far)  who has  logged  onto the  Forum using my   real    full  name    en claire 

The  plot thickens....

But this  is indeed an incredible  breakthrough  !

I will  go to the   Wang  Xisan    BJ  Musem opening  ceremony  on  27  May  .The  ICSBS  is somehow involved   because they  have  arranged a    4  day  tourist  package  via   Michael  Ko / Xu Arts , who is a   super   TOP  collector / dealer  (Taiwan  guy, lives in BJ  )  I have heard that   20  -30    new  ICSBS  members  will sign up   during this   ceremony , which must be  Mainland    members. 

I will make a special  business  card  in Chinese    advertising the   Forum and  give it out  to   everyone  there  I possibly can

I   fully  agree   we  should not   compromise the  integrity of the   site  ( and    its  accessability  from   within  China ! )  by  going   dual  language ( as if that  is even possible !) 

More  exitement to  come, I am sure  !

Cheers  Peter   彭达理

Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 08:52:22 am »

I will make a special  business  card  in Chinese    advertising the   Forum and  give it out  to   everyone  there  I possibly can

I   fully  agree   we  should not   compromise the  integrity of the   site  ( and    its  accessability  from   within  China ! )  by  going   dual  language ( as if that  is even possible !) 

Handing out cards for the forum !  How cool is that  Cheesy , and thank you for the extra effort and support here Peter !

Posting text in another language on the forum or offering dual language does not compromise the integrity. It is simply not allowed via the the company who supports and maintains the software for the forum.

As mentioned earlier.. They are bound by some little "fear mongering" loop hole within the Patriot Act that does not allow any other language/text be posted. For fear that some kind of potential secret and terror related discussions could be going on... It is actually pretty rediculous ( in my humble opinion ) if you ask me..  I mean they already took our lighters from us at the airport....  Roll Eyes

Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 08:36:13 pm »

Hi  George

Noted that    we cannot  publish in Chinese , and for  good  reasons  , even  if we   disagree with   the  reasons

There  are   lots  of  translation  programs  .  Google  language  tools  is always  there   and easily accessible.

I must   try    Babblefish and   see if  it's better

NOTE  :   when  translating    real    names  of any  kind    all   these  programs     break    down 

Type  in Wang Xisan  王习三  to Google   and  you  get Wang Xi III

( Not  bad  !  )

I think that  as  the  Forum   grows and   atttacts  more    Chinese native  speakers,  we  will all find  our  own  ways to    solve  this problem

What happens if I post a  message  in pure  Chinese?

Cheers  Peter

Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 11:14:08 pm »

I think that  as  the  Forum   grows and   atttacts  more    Chinese native  speakers,  we  will all find  our  own  ways to    solve  this problem

What happens if I post a  message  in pure  Chinese?

I think your right... We will figure a way around being able to communicate..

As far as posting in any foreign language.. It will post correctly, but I would have to delete it right away..

The rules/terms of agreement say they can simply shut a forum down without notice as a result of violating this or any other part of the terms of agreement.

I would like to think they would at least contact me first. As I have been with them for a few years, plus I do interact within the support forum quite a bit. So they do at least know me a bit..

Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 09:50:34 am »

Hi George

The  Forum policy  is  quite  clear.  So we  must follow  the rules

Pity that's the  way  it is,  but  never mind.       Cry

But it  seems   a bit odd that   - this  being a  Chinese   snuff bottle   forum, Chinese is  verboten

Shocked

( sorry  - that was   some    German)

Determined   Chinese - speaking   members,  including   artists, can use   translation  software 

And I guess that  if  someone  did   in all  innocence  post something in Chinese,  you  you  could   put  the posting  through Babblefish  or  Google  language tools and   re-post  in   English

ON THE  OTHER  HAND  ....   has    the  Dept  of  Homeland  Security ever  considered to look into the   coded  messages    written  by hand  in  IPBs  ?  Maybe  Yi  Ding ( aka  Nie Lie ) ' s  1000 x  character  bottles   have a    secret message that    threatens the    security  USA..... 

Grin

Now there's a thing  !

Cheers   Peter
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 01:14:02 pm »

But it  seems   a bit odd that   - this  being a  Chinese   snuff bottle   forum, Chinese is  verboten

Your right...  Since I was already familiar with this particular forum software, it was easier for me to put things together.  It really is a disappointment about the language rules.

Like you said.. , especially where Chinese would likely be a member language.

Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 06:28:36 pm »

Hi   George

Just     replying to    try the    quote  function   Cheesy

I must   say that  this  software  is  pretty amazing .  So whatever the policy on  other languages,  it's  worth it !

Cheers  Peter

Report Spam   Logged

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 09:35:10 pm »

Your right...  Since I was already familiar with this particular forum software, it was easier for me to put things together.  It really is a disappointment about the language rules.

Like you said.. , especially where Chinese would likely be a member language.

I agree that there are plenty of translation tools available, and I personally have NO objection to English remaining the main language as long as we dont get hassled over the occasional posting of a poem translation or whatever.   I am guessing there will be more and more of that as this group gets going and bigger.  Talking about this, it seems we have lost ANY participation from the other members, other than the regulars, whether on IPB or any other for that matter!  I personally cant really understand why.

I am still in research of a tool that could potentially pick off Chinese characters from a high-resolution picture and at least clean them up if not translate.  I am at a point where I can identify some of the characters from older type clean writing, especially years and signatures, but the way the newer artists write I am having a really tough time recognizing any.  I am playing with Abby and ReadIris but hitting pay dirt.  And I guess I am starting a new thread here somehow... :-( sorry

« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 09:39:15 pm by Inside Painted Collector » Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 10:19:13 pm »

Hi George

You wrote:
I am still in research of a tool that could potentially pick off Chinese characters from a high-resolution picture and at least clean them up if not translate.  I am at a point where I can identify some of the characters from older type clean writing, especially years and signatures, but the way the newer artists write I am having a really tough time recognizing any.  I am playing with Abby and ReadIris but hitting pay dirt.  And I guess I am starting a new thread here somehow... :-( sorry

Forget about   trying to   read      written     freehand  Chinese   characters  by software

Just   ask  Bill  or  me    so we  can get a  "professional"   to  do it

Cheers   Peter

PS  :  Still not  use  how the  "quote"    tab  works

[/quote]
Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 10:22:33 pm »

Hi   Pat/  George

Sorry  - it  was  Pat's  message  about the  characters

But  same  same  reply  .  Forget  software  !

Cheers  Peter
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 12:27:29 am »

Talking about this, it seems we have lost ANY participation from the other members, other than the regulars, whether on IPB or any other for that matter!  I personally cant really understand why.

I was just talking with Peter about this via email a few days ago.. As a result, I sent an email to all the new members who have either only posted a couple of times, and or have never posted at all since they joined.

In a nut shell, the email was a friendly reminder about the forum, their membership, a little about the current activities within the forum, and also asked to consider returning to the forum.. Tell us a little about themselves, their interests in snuff bottles, etc...

Not a single one replied to the emails, nor have they come back to visit..  Huh

Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 12:57:58 am »

Very peculiar, to say the least.  Maybe they feel or felt it was IPB-dominated but that is not really true.  You, me, have (or it least I 'had') other collecting interests, and even Bill, but we cant talk about nn-IPB stuff if it does not even get raised as topics of interest.  The IPB focus group also replied to other posts, as I recall.   

I am sorry for you if this kinda goes against your original intention George, but I know we have tried to keep the others involved and I know you have, in particular.  Dont feel bad... I guess that is how life goes!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 01:16:10 am by Inside Painted Collector » Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 01:24:38 am »

Maybe they feel or felt it was IPB-dominated but that is not really true.  You, me, have (or it least I 'had') other collecting interests, and even Bill, but we cant talk about nn-IPB stuff if it does not even get raised as topics of interest.  The IPB focus group also replied to other posts, as I recall.   

I am sorry for you if this kinda goes against your original intention George, but I know I have tried to keep the others involved and I know you have.  Dont feel bad...

I included and commented within the emails about the present members dominate focus being on IPB's .. Part of my explanation included how just by the nature of snuff bottle collecting that IPB's are a favorite among collectors, and to not feel as though you ( they ) need to have an expertise within this category, and that the forum has categories for all types of bottles ..

I honestly don't know why folks are not joining in.. If nothing else just to post a pic or two of their bottles..

My intent....  I really had no idea what to expect. I searched high and low for a good snuff bottle forum online. Not finding one, just decided to see what would happen if I started one. Really just wanted a place where anyone, no matter the type of bottle, expertise, size of collection or anything else could just sorta have some fun sharing bottles.

I am really enjoying the forum just as it is.. These things just sort of have to develop a life of their own... Still being in it's infancy, I think the few of us who are hanging in here trying to make this a successfull, informative, and fun place may be pleasantly surprised as time goes by..  Wink

I am just tickled pink that there are even just the few of us for now... !

Hey..  We are talking about snuff bottles !  With or without a large group of members.. That is all I was hoping for..  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2011, 04:38:29 am »

Grin And you are doing a wonderful job! Happy to have met you and the others here... It has been a great experience. Learning everyday.  Thanks George!  I am just waiting to find some picture taking time... It bugs me not having stuff at my fingertips.
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: