About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 04:20:43 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

The World in a Bottle - Stephen L. Little & Joseph B. Silver - 1994

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The World in a Bottle - Stephen L. Little & Joseph B. Silver - 1994  (Read 1289 times)
Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« on: May 01, 2011, 07:45:19 am »

Hi all IPB collectors and all of the rest of you...

For your information:

I just received my long-awaited and long-searched copy of this 1994, long out of print book yesterday.  In the book the IPB collection of Joseph B. Silver is compared and referenced to traditional and antique Chinese paintings.  I am very impressed and highly recommend it...  In the book both early, middle period and early modern period IPB artists are mentioned and highlighted.

It is a reminder and reinforced of my long-held belief in the miniature bottles being a condensed version of old scroll paintings, poems and calligraphy, and encourages me to keep looking for Chinese painting catalogs to compare to my collection.
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 08:53:37 am »

Hi Pat

I also have this book.  Beautiful  !  I  think  I bought  it  together  with  about  half a dozen  other    IPB  books   3  years  via   Crunruh Books in USA

One  of my  major projects  after  I retire in 2013  will be   to   scan all the   IPB  books  I have and then   add the  pics ( with   source attribution)   to  my   Modern School data base

Yes,  many   IPBs  , especially  Modern School, are  copied from  ( or  based  loosely on ) original   Chinese   scroll paintings - some ancient and  some modern.  I have    small   collection  of   art books  on modern  Chinese  landscape  painters , and  from time  to time I have  given high  quality   photo copies to  artists   as  inspiration  for  their  bottles ( and  in a    very few  other cases  to   actually copy as  a  commission).

If  you are seriously  interested in Chinese  modern   art, there's  a  huge  art  shop  called  Rong Bao Zhai  in BJ's Liulichang street.  They  have   catalogues  ( books)  of  all the  best paintings of  nearly  all   Modern   Chinese  artists, and   at  very    low prices  per book  ( I am talking  of  HUNDREDS  of  such books / artists )

I intend to  start a new  thread   in the next week  or so on the   whole  question  of   IPB   "copy"  paintings   vs  original   creations . But I'm struggling to   find a better  word  than " copy" because  of its  negative  implications .   Can anyone  please  help me on this ?  

A  very large  number  of  IPBs  are obviously  "copies"    from   full- size   paintings  or   photographs  ( indeed they must be   copies  if they  are   portraits ! )   Many bottles  in Bill's  website are  copied  from modern   Chinese   oil  paintings   which he commissioned  ( beautiful   work     - he sold me  two  of them)  and  if  you  look at random in CIPMA  I   guess you  would  find  at least   50%  of the    "signature" bottles  shown there  are    copies  of a  famous   painting .

Enough  said   for now  : this  needs a new  thread !

Cheers   Peter

Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 01:19:29 pm »

I intend to  start a new  thread   in the next week  or so on the   whole  question  of   IPB   "copy"  paintings   vs  original   creations . But I'm struggling to   find a better  word  than " copy" because  of its  negative  implications .   Can anyone  please  help me on this ?  

Maybe ..

Reproduction, or reproduction of original
Specimen or example of
Derived from original
Representation of
Re-creation of
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 07:25:14 pm »

inspired by ...
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 09:20:03 pm »

Hi Pat,

Mmmmmmmmm    not  really  because  these  are   exact  copies

And they  are  meant to be   exact  / perfect   copies ( in a  bottle)

Cheers   Peter
Report Spam   Logged

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 11:41:47 pm »

But very few are exact copies. They are more like extracts ...
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 07:03:36 am »

I just found this topic, and HAVE to respond. First of all, Thank you all, for the kind words.
Second, in a few of my bottles, the term, "After the Brush Spirit of..."  appears.
That would get my vote...
Best to all, Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 07:11:39 pm »

Hi All

This  seems  to  be a   somewhat  out-dated    thread, but  still  relevant

Yes...  some   MIPB  artists  copy   canvas ( art  paper )   paintings

There's nothing   wrong  about  that  because   inside  painting  is a   skill  on it's  own :  how  can one  expect   every   MIPB   artist to also   be an  original     creative   artist?  I  think  only  Wang  Guan Yu   has   risen  to  that   supreme  hight 

But    no   , that's   not  true  : there  are  others   e.g  Fu  Guo Shun,  Hu Xiao Ran,  Zhang Yong   who have   developed  their  own    styles  and   creative   forms  within  bottles

Lots  more  to   discuss  on this

Please   feel   free  to email me   directly <     peterbentleyhk   AT   hotmail   dot   com        >

Cheers   Peter

Report Spam   Logged

hlbb

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 09:59:43 pm »

A while back I mentioned I have a Zhang Tieshan bottle that had copies of Feng Dazhong tiger painting.  Now Zhang is considered a grand master. 

This is my bottle: http://snuffbottlefan.com/zhangtie.html

This is a page mentioning that one of Zhang's bottles sold for 320 thousands: http://big5.huaxia.com/gate/big5/www.chinayigou.com/news/Article/szyl/zhzx/ppbd/201012/102172.html

I think there is nothing wrong for the new artists to start up copying famous paintings to: 1. hone their skills; 2. make a living.  The key is whether they can grow beyond copying, like Mr Zhang.
Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 10:48:55 pm »

Hi

I  sat  next  to   Zhang    Tie Shan    (  with  Yeo  Hong  Koo    between  us)   for   4  hours  last  May  on the   way  from    BJ  to   Shi Jia Zhuang

ZTS is  based  in  Xian   and  next  time  I  hit   Xian  I'm  going to  make a bee-line  for  his    studio

There's nothing   "wrong"  with     copying   famous  paintings   into bottles

In  fact  I  have  commissioned  a  series   of     copies  by  one   canvas  artist     Zhang  Yu Mao     张 玉 茂     of   whose    work   I  have  two  original  paintings,   and    they  are  being  copied     at the  rate   of   2     double-sided   bottles   per   year  by  probably  the  most  humble  and   under-rated    artist   in  Heng Shui :   Li  Shou  Xun     (  See CIPMA ) 

When the   series  is  completed   it   will  probably  be  the  most  amazing     ever     10 bottles  of  Chinese   landscapes   in the    world

See the   attachment  ( if  it  opens  OK  -  if  not  email me   direct)

Cheers   Peter

PS  :  and  every bottle  in the   series   has  a  coral    stopper   provided    free  by  Jill

* ??? (1-10).doc (156 KB - downloaded 16 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 01:29:42 am »

In case anyone does not have a copy of Joey's Worlds In A Bottle, there is a copy listed on eBay ...

Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 05:54:08 am »

Dear all,
    Anyone who has a copy of "Worlds in a Bottle" from 1998, doesn't need the 1994 catalogue, because it is the better and expanded version. Whoever doesn't, I am sending George a box of them when I return to Ireland in early May, and you can get them from him. George, how much are they charging on  eBay?
   Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 05:59:27 am »

George,
   That book IS my 1998 "Worlds in a Bottle", not my 1994 "THE WORLD IN A BOTTLE".
It is an unsigned copy - those are rare! I sign all of them to friends etc!
  Joey
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 06:45:52 am »

Ok, thanks Joey !

Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal