About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 18, 2024, 09:54:02 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

The World in a Bottle - Stephen L. Little & Joseph B. Silver - 1994

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The World in a Bottle - Stephen L. Little & Joseph B. Silver - 1994  (Read 1335 times)
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« on: May 01, 2011, 08:53:37 am »

Hi Pat

I also have this book.  Beautiful  !  I  think  I bought  it  together  with  about  half a dozen  other    IPB  books   3  years  via   Crunruh Books in USA

One  of my  major projects  after  I retire in 2013  will be   to   scan all the   IPB  books  I have and then   add the  pics ( with   source attribution)   to  my   Modern School data base

Yes,  many   IPBs  , especially  Modern School, are  copied from  ( or  based  loosely on ) original   Chinese   scroll paintings - some ancient and  some modern.  I have    small   collection  of   art books  on modern  Chinese  landscape  painters , and  from time  to time I have  given high  quality   photo copies to  artists   as  inspiration  for  their  bottles ( and  in a    very few  other cases  to   actually copy as  a  commission).

If  you are seriously  interested in Chinese  modern   art, there's  a  huge  art  shop  called  Rong Bao Zhai  in BJ's Liulichang street.  They  have   catalogues  ( books)  of  all the  best paintings of  nearly  all   Modern   Chinese  artists, and   at  very    low prices  per book  ( I am talking  of  HUNDREDS  of  such books / artists )

I intend to  start a new  thread   in the next week  or so on the   whole  question  of   IPB   "copy"  paintings   vs  original   creations . But I'm struggling to   find a better  word  than " copy" because  of its  negative  implications .   Can anyone  please  help me on this ?  

A  very large  number  of  IPBs  are obviously  "copies"    from   full- size   paintings  or   photographs  ( indeed they must be   copies  if they  are   portraits ! )   Many bottles  in Bill's  website are  copied  from modern   Chinese   oil  paintings   which he commissioned  ( beautiful   work     - he sold me  two  of them)  and  if  you  look at random in CIPMA  I   guess you  would  find  at least   50%  of the    "signature" bottles  shown there  are    copies  of a  famous   painting .

Enough  said   for now  : this  needs a new  thread !

Cheers   Peter

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: