About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 10:13:17 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

IP crystal snuff bottle - cricket & gourds in the style of brush painting

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: IP crystal snuff bottle - cricket & gourds in the style of brush painting  (Read 601 times)
greeno
« on: April 15, 2014, 08:24:45 pm »

Peter,

Great info and as I'm constantly balancing my day with finding new treasures to buy and learning from true experts so that I will recognize the treasures when I find them, I very much plan to fully dissect your database over the next months and more.

With regards to my purchase, I am not upset or disappointed with my purchase - $20 was what I paid, I knew the piece was new, I figured it was low on the spectrum of collectable bottles (plastic stopper), but liked the cricket and gourd design.  All of your criticisms are very constructive - Thank you.

You also make a very good point about the best artists developing their own unique style.  It will take me some time before I can begin to recognize these styles, but that is the fun of learning.  Until then, I probably will lean towards recognizable styles, even if they turn out to be lesser quality.

The commonness of the cricket design is completely understandable.   Such an auspicious symbol!

My only point was that in my experience with Chinese paintings, not snuff bottles, loose / childlike / simple designs do not necessarily denote lesser quality.  From your very insightful explanation, in the world of snuff bottles, precision is clearly a measurement of artistry.  Point taken and much appreciated.

On a side note, a few years ago I bought this Chinese brush painting of a chrysanthemum flower for $25 from a thrift store.  It was quite simple, mostly in black ink with a bit of red, but I quickly found out from my Chinese friend that it was signed, Qi Baishi.  Authentication is a very difficult process, and with no provenance, no major auction house was willing to stick their neck out.  Still, I was able to sell the painting to a Chinese collector for $10,000 - he was quite sure it was genuine, and considering the age of the frame it came in, so was I.

Constructive criticism is ALWAYS WELCOME and APPRECIATED!  We learn the most from our mistakes.  Thanks again!

* 6189846015_202eb32137_m.jpg (19.06 KB, 240x180 - viewed 20 times.)
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: