About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 16, 2024, 01:36:59 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Stories

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Stories  (Read 406 times)
wgeoff
Private Boards

« on: April 10, 2014, 09:54:04 pm »

Two more bottles from my 'Odds & Ends' collection - odd because I don't know what story is being told on each one, but also because the artist (both are surely by the same artist) found it necessary to fake his name - why? These are good quality bottles (although the calligraphy is not as good as the painting), why fake your name?

Here is the first

and the second, my favourite

So, what story? and any guesses who the real artist may be?

Geoff

(This will be my last bottle posting for a few weeks as I am going to UK on Sunday until early May)

« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 07:45:46 pm by wgeoff » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 10:02:15 pm »

Geoff

Thanks for posting. but most of us here can not read chinese so would you mind telling us who the faked name is?  I recognize the style of the bottle and you may find similar ones on www.snuffbottlecollector.com

Nice bottles indeed!
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

wgeoff
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 10:15:08 pm »

Hi Pat

I'm reading the fake name as Wang Qian - but I may be wrong.

Geoff
Report Spam   Logged

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 11:24:36 pm »

Hi Geoff,

I agree with you those bottles could be false signed with Wang Qian's name, both are nicely painted, but definitely not from a Master, both painting and calligraphy are not that lever yet.

I don't think someone can guess a artist based on the painting, because there are so many artists can paint such quality bottle.

The first bottle is a copy from a book"养正图" Yang zheng Tu or the pictures of Yang zheng, which is a picture book to record the imperial history stories of Ming period and Qing Period, Yang zheng tu was painted by several artists in several versions. according to the theme of the painting it could be from a early version of the book.

The second bottle is about a street picture of Tang period, I don't think there is any specific story behind it.

* 808.jpg (154.12 KB, 600x840 - viewed 22 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 07:50:57 am »

Hi  Geoff

Nice  bottles,  but :

a)  I agree   with you  that it  looks  to be  signed   Wang Qian  王 千

b)  Why  should  an  artist that   good  fake    a  Master's  name  ?

I  don't  have a  lot  of  stuff  on the  real  Wang  Qian  (  you  can check the  DB)

But  what  I do have   shows a  completely  - and much better -    writing  style

Incidentally : as regards the  real  Wang Qian :  it's  surprisning  that  so  few  of his  bottle  pics  are   available .  I  wonder   where   all  his  bottles  are  today ?

Cheers
Peter

Report Spam   Logged

wgeoff
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 08:30:32 am »

Thanks for your comments Steven and Peter, and for the details on the stories themselves from Steven.

I agree - the calligraphy is nowhere near as good as the real Wang Qian, it's so obvious - why fake it?
But I still like the bottle, especially the second one.

Geoff
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: