About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 11:41:56 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Update of Peter's Data Base to include Early and middle Period artists

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Update of Peter's Data Base to include Early and middle Period artists  (Read 202 times)
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« on: March 17, 2014, 10:33:16 am »

Hi All

My  DB  only  intends to cover the  Modern Period   artists  as  exhaustively as  possible

Even  so,  it's a  huge  task to  scan / crop/ title  all the  pics  from the  books and   catalogs  that  come  my way (I recently  discovered   that a  very    important  Zhang Rucai   catalog  that  a  Forum member  mentioned  in a  private email,  was one  I  already  had in my   book  shelf,  still  waiting to  be  scanned...)

But I now  understand  that  unless  I  at least  include the names  and a  few  brief   bio- details  of the  Early and  Middle  period artists,  it may confuse  newcomers  who see a name  mentioned  in a posting,   but cannot  find  it  in my  DB  ( e.g  Xue  Jingwan  =  Fu  Chen ....  福臣 are the  correct   Chinese  characters )

At the  beginning  of  CIPMA  : pages   24  -  47   there's a  brief  summary  of    all the  important  Early and  Middle  Period  artists.  So  yesterday  I spent  several  hours  creating   files  of  them  all, including cross-files  of their   art  names  and/or  original  names, and even their  studio  names ( and it  was  several  hours   work ! ) .  Then  I  uploaded  them  all into my  DB  with the  code  " [E&M] "  at the  end  to  indicate  they are   Early and  Middle  Period   artists , to  avoid  any confusion.

As I say  -  it  would  be an immense  task to scan/ crop/  title  all the  publicly-available  pics  of  the  bottles  of  Early and  Middle  period  artists  from  the  hundreds  of  books and catalogs  available.    But  if anyone    does   have  a  collection  of  pics  of  bottles  by  any Early and  Middle   Period  artists  and they are  grouped  by  artist , I would  be  happy to include them  in my  DB  if you care to send  to me  on  a  USB stick  or  disc.  In return  you  will  get  the  latest  version of  my  DB  for  free.

If  you  have a  copy  of  CIPMA   you can see  what  Early  and Middle  period   artists  I have so far  included.

More to the  point,  if  you  have a  collection of names (  with  Pin Yin and  if  possible  with  Chinese  Characters)  of Early   and Middle  period  artists, especially the  minor  ones  from  the   early  20th  Century (  1920 -  1950)    please  do   send to me   either by email  or  USB stick .

The   DB can become a joint  project if  others  are   willing to  contribute , and then it can  become a common research  tool.

I have  learned  that  my  DB  can  be  uploaded  to  a  Cloud  in file - form*  with  Windows  7  or  higher  version,  and  that's  my  long-term  intention  when I buy a  new  lap  top  later  this  year  ( I currently   run on Windows  XP , for which   support  is about to end, so I must  buy a  new  lap top in any case  and  migrate  my  DB to  it )

(*below  Windows 7,   data  can only  be  uploaded to  Cloud   pic- by - pic,   not  file-by-file )

Cheers
Peter

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: