About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 07:43:26 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

ICSBS 2014 Convention HK / Xian / ( BJ ? )

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ICSBS 2014 Convention HK / Xian / ( BJ ? )  (Read 1359 times)
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« on: March 11, 2014, 02:35:59 pm »

Hi All  on the  Forum

Who  is  :

1) DEFINITELY an  ICSBS  Member 

2) DEFINITELY  plans  to  join  the   2014   Convention  in  HK +  Xian  (  +  BJ ? )

Please   - let's  be  open  about this   because  my  tiny  home   in  HK  will be  an  open  home   for  all  Forum members  as   first  priority  while  you  are  all  in HK   ( my fridge will be   stocked   with  drinks  etc   so make  my  home  the  place    to be  after  hours  instead of the usual  drinking  places  ! )  ... of   course ! .... 

So  while  the   ICSBS  is  in HK  please  feel   free   to   make  my little  home    your  home  base  if you  love  the  Forum   and  especially  if  you  love  VMIPBs. My home  is    right  above  the  Wanchai   MTR  station,  thus  a   stone's  throw   (by  MTR =  Subway)   from the  Kowloon Shangrila  Hotel   where  the   Convention   will  be  held .

Thereafter   we   will move  to  Xian  where I  will ,  with  due trepidation,  give  my keynote   speech  about  VMIPBs.....

Cheers
Peter

« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 02:47:39 pm by Peter Bentley 彭达理 » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 09:50:10 pm »

OK Peter, you need to be a little clearer with the invitation here!  Are you offer up a "pub" or a "hotel", or both?   From someone on a budget.  Grin  Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 10:15:25 pm »

Hi  Charll,

If  my  home  had a   spare   bedroom  it   would  open  to  the  first  taker. But  we  don't .

I'm  guessing  that  the  Shangrila Tsimshatstui   will be  charging  HK$3,000  per  night  but it  should  be  possible  to  find   a budget  hotel  at half  that  cost  in Wanchai

I'm  going  to  commute   from home  every  day  -  no way  I'm paying  $3,000 /  night  just to  stay the  other  side  of the  harbor !

Cheers
Peter

Peter

Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 01:44:34 pm »

Peter & Charll,
   I understood that the rate was going to be about US$300/night, or possibly a bit less.
Say HK$2,300/night? Here's hoping. But I agree; there should be hotels in easy access to the Shangrila for US$150/night.
   Also, it may be possible to get a cheaper rate than the ICSBS convention at the hotel, by going through Booking.com or Hotels.com, and then, once you are booked at the better rate, letting the hotel reservations know you are part of the convention.
   In NYC, I stupidly booked through the Society, at US$450/night (including tax and service, officially US$399). And got a small, shitty room. 
   Richard and Marshall booked through Booking.com, and got a 2 room suite, 4 times the size of my room, with an extra bathroom (mine could have fit 3 times in their MAIN bathroom!), and a servant's room, and a kitchenette in their foyer (Oh yes, and a foyer!), for US$50 more!
   I will book through Booking.com from now on...
Joey

Hi  Charll,

If  my  home  had a   spare   bedroom  it   would  open  to  the  first  taker. But  we  don't .

I'm  guessing  that  the  Shangrila Tsimshatstui   will be  charging  HK$3,000  per  night  but it  should  be  possible  to  find   a budget  hotel  at half  that  cost  in Wanchai

I'm  going  to  commute   from home  every  day  -  no way  I'm paying  $3,000 /  night  just to  stay the  other  side  of the  harbor !

Cheers
Peter

Peter

Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 08:24:45 pm »

Peter, that was what I expected based on past discussions and I was just looking to pull your chain a bit.  All in a good way though!  Grin

Joey, thanks for the tip on Booking.com.  I plan to look into that.  Much appreciated, Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 03:08:08 am »

Dear Charll,
     I just checked on Booking.com, and Peter's estimate of prices at Shangrila is more accurate than mine.
However, the Regal Kowloon Hotel,  4 min. walk away at 71 Mody Rd. (Shangrila is at 64 Mody Rd.), is half the price of Shangrila, and The European Hostel on Nathan Rd., 10 min. walk away, is about US$50/day for a double or a twin. Unfortunately, the Kowloon YMCA, which is actually quite nice, if old fashioned (Wes Kirkholm stayed there in 1996, when the convention was at the Shangrila as well), is sold out already.
 Best,
   Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 11:06:14 am »

Hi  All

There's  literally DOZENS  of  hotels  in  Tsimshastui  that are 5  -  10  minutes  walking  distance  from the  Shangrila.

You  might    check out  the   Nikko  Hotel  (Japanese-owned  )   which is where   our  company  held its  annual   WW  sales  meeting  in  Jan  2012  which  I  personally organized  :  120 x guests /  same  scale  as the   ICSBS (Also we  used the  Shangrila  for  one  dinner   because the   Nikko   ballroom was booked that  night.)

HK  boasts  a   superb  metro  system -   world  class and   super- easy  to use  / electronic   tickets  /  you name  it - we have  it  /  no  graffiti  / We call   it the  MTR  (  Mass transit   railway)

I can  walk  downstairs   from my home  which is  right  above the  Wanchai  MTR station and  be  at the  Shangrila  20 minutes  later  +/-   a  couple  of minutes  (the  trains  run every  1  -  3   minutes )

Honestly  - if  I  did have a   suite  of    guest rooms  I  would  put  you  all  up    for  free.  But  I   don't.

Our  company  has a  contract  with a  couple  of   business  hotels  in Wanchai ,  but   to book rooms   they  need  credit  cards.   Booking.com    is your  best  bet, and  I  think  they can accept  late  cancellations  without  penalty.

As a   rule  with   websites    like  booking.com  the   earlier  you book the   cheaper  it is !

I'm   also  guessing you  would   prefer  to be   within walking distance  of the  Shangrila , which  makes sense.

Anyway...   who is  coming from the  Forum ?

Cheers

Peter

PS:  I  think that  the  hotel  in  Xian is  free  -   paid  for  by the  Xian  city  govt.  But  correct me  if  I'm  wrong
In BJ we have to  pay  own  own  way for  certain , and it  will be  super-  expensive because  it's  peak  tourist  season.  I  will  stay  at a  cheaper  hotel   which  I will   ask  either  Jill or my  company to pay for :  but  beware -  BJ  traffic  is  horrendous.    A  5  km  taxi  journey  can take  one  hour.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 11:13:31 am by Peter Bentley 彭达理 » Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 11:14:09 am »

Peter,
  I have always loved taking the Star Ferry between Hong Kong Island and Kowloon. I always go first class (50 cents HK = 6 1/2 US cents(!), instead of 30 cents HK = 4 US cents).
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 11:16:23 am »

For  Star   Ferry  the   rule  is

In winter  go   1st class ( warmer  because  of the  windows)

In Summer  go   2nd  class  because the  wind  is  much    stronger  on the lower  deck

But  Star  ferry  is a  long  walk  from the  Shangrila

Cheers

Peter
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 04:33:42 am »

Peter,
   I have only ever been in Hong Kong in October or November. And I don't remember that the distance was more than 10 - 15 min. I would go down Mody Rd. to Salisbury Rd., then past the Peninsula Hotel (I loved seeing the fleet of Rolls Royces!) and Hong Kong Museum of Art, to Ocean Terminal and Star Ferry.
   Of course, you must remember that I've not been back to Hong Kong since 1996. Hard to believe it will be 18 years, and I was last there BEFORE Hong Kong came under direct PRC control. Although I had noticed a serious deterioration in the attitude of Hong Kong Chinese towards Westerners between my first visit in 1978, through my visits in 1979, 1981, 1982, 1984, 1985, 1987, 1988, 1990, 1991, 1995 and 1996. 
   Where people had been very friendly up till 1991, in 1995 and 1996, they were markedly less friendly and almost rude and insulting. Not the working class people in the street or in jobs; but middle and upper echelon types went out of their way to 'not be friendly or accommodating', whereas before they'd all been universally helpful and welcoming.
    I don't expect obsequious behavior (or as we call it in Yiddish, "tuches-lecking"), but simple politeness and willingness to help.  I sincerely hope Hong Kong has reverted to its pre-1995 attitude, or I'll not be returning.
    There are enough places I can spend my funds where people ARE polite and willing to help a visitor to their country.
  Best,
 Shabbat Shalom,
    Joey

For  Star   Ferry  the   rule  is

In winter  go   1st class ( warmer  because  of the  windows)

In Summer  go   2nd  class  because the  wind  is  much    stronger  on the lower  deck

But  Star  ferry  is a  long  walk  from the  Shangrila

Cheers

Peter
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: