About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 05:52:18 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Kangxi Southern Inspection Tour / Lu Jianguang

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Kangxi Southern Inspection Tour / Lu Jianguang  (Read 4806 times)
Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2014, 03:10:47 am »

Dear Geoff,
I am really happy to have been wrong, thank you for the new images. Sorry if I have worried you with my false alarm. You have surely masterpiece bottles there, congratulations.
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

wgeoff
Private Boards

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2014, 04:02:43 am »

No problem Giovanni.

I have learnt new things and will buy myself a better macro camera - my birding equipment is more designed for long range photos. And Peter and I had another excuse to meet and chat (no excuse really necessary but it was good to meet again).

And I appreciate the artist's skill on those bottles more than ever.

Geoff
Report Spam   Logged

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2014, 04:23:38 am »

Happy to see this and happy for you Geoff!
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2014, 10:30:57 am »

Hi  Geoff, All

Yes  today   Geoff  called  to my  home  with  his   6   x  Lu Jianguang  bottles

I can definitely  confirm  they  are   really  hand  painted.

We did the  classic  test  which  is  a   super  close-up  photo  in Macro mode (  3MB  pic) of  a  tiny part  of the  bottle,   then    blew  up the  pic   with  my  computer  a  couple  of  dozen  times.  This  method  beats  the  best  magnifying  glasses    by  a  very    long way    (  32  x  power  is  the  best   magnifying glass I have  : I reckon that the  macro  photo /  computer  blow-up  method   was   approaching  150 x  magnification)

Even under    a  good hand-carry  magnifying glass   (  8  -  16 X )  it's  very  hard to  spot a  photo-fake :  I know  because  by chance  I   once bought  one  such  fake  ( see the very  long thread  elsewhere  on the  Forum )   and it had me  - and the  dealer  who sold it to me  -  totally fooled. 

It  was  only  Pat who  alerted  me to    the  give-away    dark brown  area  at the  base  of the  picture ... and  then  I   gradually  dissected the  bottle , scraping  away the photo-film   in places. 

A  photo-film  bottle  goes   fuzzy  under  super - high power  magnification.  But   in a  real   hand  painting one can  distinguish the  individual  brush strokes   - and  , as  Geoff  rightly  pointed  out  - the  super-tiny   figures  on his  bottles  -  barely a     couple  of  mm   tall  -    turn  out to be    quite  badly / crudely  painted   under  very   high magnification  .

That's not to  say the  painting is  actually  bad ...      far  from it  !  It's  a  miracle that  anyone  can paint  tiny  men on  horses  only  2  mm  high  and   still   fill  in the  detail ,  down to arms, legs,  eyes...  mustaches    !    See the  couple of      close-ups   Geoff  posted  below    which  were  from the  macro pics  I  took   today

Bottom line ,  Geoff  has a  real  treasure   in his  collection ! 

Also,  given that he bought the bottles  from CAC   when  Lu Jianguang  was the resident  artist-of-the month  in the  late   1990's   it's  inconceivable that  CAC /  Lu Jianguang   would have  fobbed  off a    fake  photo-print set of bottles.

Lu Jianguang is  one  of  the  most respected   Ji School  artists.  I  never  met   LJG   in person,  yet,  but I  do have a    tiny    1 inch high   snow scene  LJG  bottle  ( see  pic  attached) that  I  bought   via  Mr  Tai,  Hop Wah  Antiques,  who used  to  run the     IPB  shop in the Ocean  Hotel,  TsimShaTsui.  He  had the bottle  in his  office when I visited  him  a  few  years  ago    long  after  he  shut  down his  IPB  shop,  and  he  sold it to me  at the  original  marked price  of   HK$5,000  from  1997 ( ! ) 

Of  all the  bottles  I have, this  one  has the  narrowest  neck of  all :  only  4 mm   diameter.  The   detail  is   exquisite  and   I reckon it's now worth  at least   US$3,000 + , probably  more

So I estimate  that  the   bottles  Geoff  has,  which  are  much bigger ( i.e. "normal"  size)   and  painted in  incredible  detail  are  easily  worth  US$  5  6  K  each, and  as a  set of   6   they are  worth   at least  US$50- 60,000   to  a  collector  of  discerning taste.   Probably  very  much more  . 

But  the  best thing of  all  was  meeting Geoff  again   Grin

He's the  first   real  MIPB  collector I've  got to know  in HK   and it's all due to the   Forum

THANK YOU  GEORGE !   Smiley

Geoff and I  now  plan a  couple  of  days  bird  spotting  on  the remote  Po Toi  Island  in a  month  or  so

Can't think of a   more  congenial  way to  spend a  couple  of  days.

Also  we  plan a  detailed  study of  every   shop  in Hollywood  road  to see  if anything has   changed  re  MIPBs  since  I did the  same thing  about 3  years  ago  ( at that  time -  zero  for  MIPBs   : only   genuine antique  IPBs  for  sale,  plus  a  few   highly  over-priced  junk  MIPB  bottles)

Cheers

Peter

PS :    I'm now  about  half-way  through re- arranging  my collection  following the   epic  8 - day  photo- shoot  and  a  super  -clean of  all my  shelves  ready for the  ICSBS  later this   year. Also, for the  first time, I'm  digging  out  all the   300 +  little  wooden stands  I mentioned  before  and  matching them to the  bottles .  Great   fun ! 

And - honestly  - it  looks like a   a  complete  new collection !  Every bottle  shines  and  gleams in the  spotlights  installed  in the  shelves.

That to me  is  THE  beauty  of  IPBs  -  they are  just  SO  beautiful  to look  at  ( which is  why I cannot  possibly  imagine  locking them up  in  boxes  for  99.9% of their  lives  : they  deserve to  be  admired and  marveled  at   24/7  ) *

I now  recall   all the   fun I had  as a kid  with my  matchbox  collection ( also  miniatures !) ,  arranging and   re- arranging them  in  little   shelves  in my bedroom.  Guess  I'm a   miniature - collecting  junkie  !

I mean  actual  actual  matchboxes,  not  the  match box  miniature  toys. 

In the  old  days ( 1950's)    pre-lighters, every  matchbox  was  a  little   work  of   art,  and I  had  some  boxes  going  back to pre  - WW 2,not to mention  little   Spanish  leather  boxes . My  matchbox  collection  is  still   at  home,  in a     suitcase

BTW:  for those  of  you   who  have  visited  my home,  you may have   seen   my  mini  collection of  model cars  and  steam engines. 

The  cars  are  1: 18  scale  made  by  CMC  Models  :  http://www.cmc-modelcars.de/en/home/
-  a  German / Chinese   JV   company  (the  models  are  all made in  China)  .   They  are  incredibly detailed   and  the  best   quality / detail  available   commercially in the    whole   world   (they each  have  over   1,500 - 2,000  individually-made   parts) . And  they  are   also   super- reasonably    cheap !   Typically  only  US$400, which  is  less than I pay these  days   for  a low- grade MIPB. 

But the   steam engines  are  the  creme- de- la- creme,  because they are  not  electric : they  all  actually  run on real   live  steam, even the  tiny  00  scale   engines .....   now that  really  is a  miracle  of  miniature  engineering !

*  Ask me  over a  beer  in the   pub  what the  " * " refers  to  ....

* Copy of P061 (A).jpg (17.27 KB, 281x448 - viewed 38 times.)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 04:53:04 pm by Peter Bentley 彭达理 » Report Spam   Logged

kjennings12

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2014, 01:10:13 pm »

Wow, what amazing bottles!
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2014, 08:41:58 am »

I looked at this thread again just now, and agree with Keith , "Wow, what amazing bottles!"
 Wink
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2014, 09:05:57 am »

Hi All

Yup !    Those  bottles  of   Geoff's  are    THE   REAL  THING

I  have  no  idea  how  to  value  that  set  of  6  bottles ,  but  I  stick to my  earlier  guess  of   US$ 50 -60K     for  the    set of  6     to   the  discerning  collector,  particularly  with the   CAC  provenance

Indeed   :  a  real  treasure !

GEOFF  :  Did  you  keep the   CAC  receipt ?   I  always   keep and  file  my  CAC  receipts  as   provenance

Cheers

Peter

Report Spam   Logged

wgeoff
Private Boards

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2014, 02:30:02 pm »

Thanks all.

I think these are the star bottles in my collection BUT I love every bottle I have on display and just can't avoid looking at them every time I pass them in my study!

Humans have a passion for collecting things and good quality IP bottles are so beautiful to admire and respect the skill that goes into making them.
Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2014, 03:40:47 pm »

Hi  Geoff

Amen and  AMEN

I  asked   George  to   re-instate   Zhang Keqin's     totally  amazing   cat   bottle  pic    for   October /  November    because   I  intend  to  use  this  bottle  as   an  example   of   the    BEST   OF  THE  BEST    at  my  Xian   presentation    if  I  can  somehow  slip  (sneak)   it  in .......   

After  that,  the   side  bar  is a   free   for  all  au  George

Cheers

Peter

PS ;  I'm  in  Europe  3 -19   July  (fixed) ,  but  after  that   in  HK  except  for  occasional      trips   to   China    week by  week
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: