About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 18, 2024, 08:36:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Repair of Snuff Bottles when the stopper is broken

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Repair of Snuff Bottles when the stopper is broken  (Read 2072 times)
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« on: March 10, 2014, 04:34:00 pm »

Hi George

It might  be  worthwhile to  start a  new   section ( board)  on this   topic.

Broken   stoppers -  e.g.  when the    top  breaks  off the   cork stem  -  are a  very  frequent  occurrence,  especially  for  IPBs.

Even  worse  is  when  the   cork  stem  breaks  off  and  falls  inside the  bottle !

But  there  is  hope !  I  personally  have  found  innovative  ways  to  extract   cork  stems,  whether   stuck  in the  neck of the  bottle ,  or  even  fallen  inside the  bottle.

And  as  for  gluing  back  stoppers  and cork stems  I have found at least  one   fail-safe   way  which  I now   consistently use.

Can we  please   share  these  general repair  methods  in a  new  section /  topic/  board ?

Cheers
Peter

PS : This  could  also  include  the  topic  of  how to number  bottles without   writing the number  on the   side of the  stem,  which method  - sadly  - was used  by  George  Bloch (or  whoever numbered  his  collection)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 09:41:52 pm »

I would rather not create a new board for this ...

Vaughan started a real nice topic/thread about this... I brought it to the forefront pinned it in the "Stands, Stoppers, Spoons, Dishes, Funnels, and Spatulas" board..

It would be great to just keep building on Vaughan's Corks and stopper restoration thread/topic..
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 10:27:36 pm »

Hi  George

Can do !   Smiley

Cheers
Peter
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 10:30:41 pm »

Peter,

I wondered why George had put a "sticky" on Vaughan's old post. Now I see why!!!

Looking forward to reading about your methods of cork extraction, etc. Very useful information to share!

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: