About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 12:26:02 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Pillar landscape bottle

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pillar landscape bottle  (Read 734 times)
Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« on: March 01, 2014, 12:17:25 pm »

Dear all,
I bought this bottle only because of the base, because I had no bottles with this particular base up to now. I know this base is typically seen on pillar bottles usually decorated  with dragons.
The base of this bottle was pink, as remnants of pink color was inside the bottle. Just by soaking the bottle in dish detergent and by scrubbing it with a tooth brush, it turn out so white clean. So clean that it may look new, but it isn’t because the glaze has a consistent wear overall. The bottle is 8 cm high.
Forgive the silly question: what do you exactly refer by “pillar” bottle? The shape alone or the shape plus this particular base?
Kind regards
Giovanni

* IMG_1.jpg (51.57 KB, 666x900 - viewed 37 times.)

* IMG_2.jpg (53.88 KB, 769x900 - viewed 25 times.)

* IMG_3.jpg (52.92 KB, 706x900 - viewed 26 times.)

* IMG_4.jpg (42.88 KB, 900x552 - viewed 35 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 12:47:12 pm »

Giovanni

This would be a blue and white landscape of a slender cylindrical shape with a concentric ring base.  The term "pillar" is generally reserved for dragon motif bottles for it is said they were probably inspired by temple rugs decorated with dragons that were rapped around the temple support pillars.   So the term pillar refers to both how the motif would fit and blend the design together at the vertical seam of the rug rapping, and then imagine what the bottom cross section of the pillar would look like if it were rapped with (multiple) overlapping rugs.

Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 04:21:56 pm »

Thank you dear Charll,
this was a question that I had in mind, now you have put it in clear. Anyway, strangely this base with concentric circles is exclusive to snuff bottles for what I know, because I have never seen other porcelain ware with that.
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 05:20:19 pm »

Giovanni

I've heard that a concentric ring base has also been reported to be found on a few small Chinese vases.

Charll

Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 02:09:45 am »

Dear Charll, I don't remember that, may be on small pieces as you said.
I have a further couple of porcelain bottles that I will post soon.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 04:26:39 am »

Dear Giovanni,
   I don't have anything to add to what Charll has written. Nice looking bottle, but it really does look new. You might have been a bit too enthusiastic with the scrubbing...  Cheesy Wink
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 11:42:49 am »

Dear Joey,
pictures can fool. When you will handle this bottle you will see by the surface wear that it is old with no doubts.
The problem is the following. I am experiencing with some methods for cleaning stained hairlines. I have results that I think will be of interest for the members here, and I will post my experience when I will be ready. This bottle had a stained crack and, as said, the base had a pink color on it. I believe that someone did use it as a container for a pink color, because there was remnants also inside the bottle. In my cleaning process I use a dish detergent containing enzymes. This time I experienced another type of detergent, which contains bicarbonate, and let it acting through all the night. The next morning I found the base this way, too much clean, really too much. It has the same appearance of having been bleached. I don't like that, it looks brand new, exactly as you noted. I have to understand why that, I suspect that it has been because of the bicarbonate, since this didn't happen with the previous detergent.
Kind regards
Giovanni

Report Spam   Logged

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 12:00:38 pm »

Giovanni,

Can you let me know the bicarbonate detergent that you used.  I'm trying to clean a soft paste blue and white porcelain bottle with some staining in the cracks of the glaze.  I placed it in a high concentration of dish washing detergent as a bath and let it soak for three days in the method you have described, but no effect on the stain.  My concern is the staining maybe a result of iron impurities on the paste, if so it may be impossible to eliminate.

Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 12:16:43 pm »

Dear Giovanni,
    I was just joking. I've no doubt it is old if you say it is old.
In future though, you might want to monitor the cleaning process more.
If you stand it in brown earth for a while, it may get a better colour.
But again, you will want to monitor it.
Best,
Joey

Dear Joey,
pictures can fool. When you will handle this bottle you will see by the surface wear that it is old with no doubts.
The problem is the following. I am experiencing with some methods for cleaning stained hairlines. I have results that I think will be of interest for the members here, and I will post my experience when I will be ready. This bottle had a stained crack and, as said, the base had a pink color on it. I believe that someone did use it as a container for a pink color, because there was remnants also inside the bottle. In my cleaning process I use a dish detergent containing enzymes. This time I experienced another type of detergent, which contains bicarbonate, and let it acting through all the night. The next morning I found the base this way, too much clean, really too much. It has the same appearance of having been bleached. I don't like that, it looks brand new, exactly as you noted. I have to understand why that, I suspect that it has been because of the bicarbonate, since this didn't happen with the previous detergent.
Kind regards
Giovanni

Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 04:02:50 pm »

Thank you dear Joey for the suggestion. I will try it because it really turn out too much white.
Dear Charll, you are right, those stain can't be "cleaned" because I believe that they are a completely different thing. A brief note to the other members who are not understanding what we are talking about: Charll is referring to a cleaning method that I described on Gotheborg; I will prepare an updated version to be posted here.
Now, back to your bottle dear Charll. The cleaning method is valid for stains of organic nature. Practically, the stain of cracks which are mostly stained by the fat left by the hands of the persons that handled the piece. Instead, the cracks of the soft paste porcelain I suppose that are purposely stained by the potters during the firing process, i.e. it should be the same that we see on Ge type porcelain crackled ware. If so, because that stain is fired, it is extremely stable and not possible to remove. I have left Ge type pieces dipped in very strong paint stripper for days with no effect at all. I think that your bottle left the kiln that way.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: