About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 06:50:28 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Sticky and broken stoppers

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sticky and broken stoppers  (Read 682 times)
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« on: February 17, 2014, 11:48:29 am »

Hi All

Being  half-way  through  a  massive  professional   photo-shoot  of my  entire   collection  (@ US$20 / hour   -  just  for    studio  time   -  of  more   which later )  I have  faced  the  inevitable  problem  of  broken  stoppers ,  of  which  domestic    Chinese   glues    dry  out  with  age

I have  come to the   following  conclusions,  unless   someone can  enlighten me  to  the  better :

a)  a  loose   stopper   is  by  far better  than  a  tight    stopper

b)    a  little  bit  of  vaseline    can  convert  a  tight    stopper  into a  freely-opened   stopper

THAT's a  highly  controversial  point  !  But  Vaseline,  having  a  low  vapor  pressure  and  - I assume -  being  compatible   with  oil-based  paints  -  should  have  minimal  effect  on  the   painting  inside  ??!!

c)  Super-glue ( e.g.  Aron-Alpha )   is   the  best remedy  for   broken  stoppers  ....  but  DO  leave  time  for  the   Super -glue  to    dry

Any better   suggestions    welcome !

Cheers
Peter

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 12:51:50 pm »

Dear Peter,
I suggest you to strictly avoid oily/grease substances. I don’t know what kind of paint they use for IP bottles, but either watercolor or acrylic will be irreversibly affected by the oil. If by oil-based paints do you mean the same type that used for oil paintings on canvas (I would be very surprised if they use such paints on IP bottles) then too the contact with a further oil is dangerous. The oils of oil paints do dry in a frame time of a bit more than 100 years, after that they are resistant to thinners. A further oil will result in spots of enhanced colors.
I agree with you that a bit loose is better than a bit too tight. I do not care so much about glues that detach in time. Simply matter of gluing back the parts again, in my opinion that is not a problem.
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 08:12:41 pm »

Hi Peter,

I agree with Giovanni that vaseline is potentially damaging to the painting medium. Depending on what type of glue is used to hold the cork onto the stopper it may also react with the compounds in the glue itself. Apart from that, cork expands with moisture. While the amount of moisture the cork is able to absorb from the vaseline may be minimal, it's possible that any advantage of slipperiness is countered by a slight expansion.

Never tried it, so these are just thoughts...

Tom 
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: