About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 02:18:45 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

More Birds

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: More Birds  (Read 1839 times)
wgeoff
Private Boards

« on: February 07, 2014, 05:32:04 pm »

I am rapidly running out of available bottles decent enough to show here - fortunately my home renovation is almost complete and my main collection should be back in my hands by the end of next week. Also I hope to have Peter's database and the J H Leung book purchased from Bill soon, so will be able to do some research of my own.

But I have one more bottle here, birds of course, my favourite subject (and fortunately also a favourite subject of many bottle painters it seems).

The birds of interest to me here are not the rather poorly painted Mandarin Ducks at the bottom but those in the trees and bamboos.

These are common urban species in south and central China, although not so much in north China, Eurasian Tree Sparrow Passer montanus and Chinese Bulbul Pycnonotus sinensis.

While the Eurasian Tree Sparrow can be found from west Europe right across Eurasia to China, the Chinese Bulbul is almost endemic to China only.

The fact that they are easily identifiable is testament to the painter's skills and observation powers (or copying ability?).
Once again, interested to know who the painter was and the date, also if the painting is a copy of some other work.

Geoff
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 02:44:35 am by wgeoff » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 09:29:39 pm »

Wow Gwoff!

That is a lovely painted bird bottle, the artist is Qiu shi, a few of artists signed Qiu shi as pen name,no matter who painted it, its absolutely a lovely bottle I want to have.

Thanks for sharing!

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 11:03:43 pm »

Beautiful bottle Geoff..

You really know your birds, and it is very cool to see you to apply that knowledge and appreciation in the bottles you collect..

Thanks for sharing, and hope you will share a few more from you collection with us when you return home.. 
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
misfit38
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 01:07:10 am »

Thank you for sharing, what a lovely painted bottle.
Report Spam   Logged
wgeoff
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 02:15:02 am »

Thanks Steven, George and Kaz, very nice to hear these comments and much appreciated.

Any date for this bottle? I guess I bought it in the early 2000's.
Report Spam   Logged

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 02:16:37 am »

Wow dear Geoff,
a really beautiful bottle, thank you for sharing it. It remember me a paint that I have, where you can see the Passer Montanus of your bottle. The fact that it has been painted in Brazil by a guy of Chinese origin, is a further evidence of how the birds of this family are common through the World.
In fact here in Italy we have the say "Comune come un passero" (common as a sparrow) to comment something very common. It is a clever bird. Here we have four species, being the two most common the Passer montanus and the Passer domesticus italiae. They are very similar, most of people do not note the main difference. The "montanus" has a grey spot on the cheek (correctly seen in the drawing that you have shown) while the "domesticus" has a black bib on the chest, see picture below.
Giovanni

* IMG_1.jpg (69.53 KB, 900x675 - viewed 26 times.)

* Italia.jpg (71.7 KB, 507x418 - viewed 32 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 02:58:50 pm »

Geoff,

Thanks for sharing the wonderful bird IPB.  I too love these designs, and get excited when viewing such a nicely done bottle.  But you may have created some work for yourself here!   I am now motivated to go through my IPBs with bird images in order to get some quick help in identifying the birds illustrated on the bottles.  Stay tuned!

Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 03:27:39 pm »

Geoff,
    The bottle is very nice, but your info was even better.
Thank you for posting it,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 04:47:09 pm »

An inside painted snuff bottle with a paired bird design.  Can these birds be identified from the painting?   Thanks for any and all insight, Charll

Artist: Ya Ru, painted in the Autumn 2007.  Gilded gold stopper with a jade finial.  Height is 7.4 cm without the stopper.   

Side A-Autumn sound, or the rhythm of the autumn, painted by Ya Ru.
  Side B-Double birds perching, painted by Ya Ru in the autumn of 2007.

* Artist Ya Ru_2007_SideA.jpg (164.49 KB, 540x720 - viewed 36 times.)

* Artist Ya Ru_2007_SideB.jpg (161.67 KB, 540x720 - viewed 29 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

wgeoff
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 05:37:54 pm »

Hi Charll

This first bird is quite easy, a distinctive species called a Hoopoe and seen across China but also Europe, Central Asia and Africa.

Although the painter hasn't quite got the black-and-white stripes in the right place, there is no other bird with such a crest and long curved bill.

The second pair are more difficult but I think they are Waxwings, from the crest and black chin. Two species of Waxwing occur in northern China in winter, Bohemian and Japanese, difficult to separate even for birdwatchers. But Waxwing is enough.

Bohemian Waxwing also occurs in northern USA in winter and another very similar species, Cedar Waxwing, occurs in southern USA, including California, in winter.
I have a bottle with Waxwings so perhaps they are regular inside-painting species. The name in Chinese is 'peaceful bird' (so my wife tells me) so maybe they have some significance in Chinese history or mythology.

Keep them coming, it's quite fun. Perhaps we should start a new thread on Bird Identification?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 07:18:22 pm by wgeoff » Report Spam   Logged

Steven

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 10:53:54 pm »

Dear Charll,

Anther Beautiful bird bottle!

-Geoff, thank you for ID the birds, really enjoy read your post, quite fun, Yes please keep going..

Forgot put the date info on your bottle.Smiley "Painted in jihai 1995 by Qiu shi"

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

wgeoff
Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 06:07:12 am »

Thank you Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 07:32:56 am »

Dear Charll,
we call the hoopoe "upupa"; the name comes from his cry, a kind of hoop-hoop-hoop and there is something very strange about how it is known by some people here in Italy. This bird cannot be confused with others because it is very characteristic both for the color and especially for the showy crest. It is relatively rare and is found only in environments with low human density. The hoopoe word in the Italian language, because of the two "u", sounds rather gloomy. Perhaps because of this a famous poet of the nineteenth century, Ugo Foscolo, who evidently knew him only by name, in his famous poem dedicated to the tombs speaks of "somber hoopoe", imagining that it was a nocturnal bird. Because of this mistake some people who doesn’t know the actual bird still believe that it is a nocturnal bird.
Our friend Joey should know that the hoopoe is Israel’s national bird.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 12:19:34 am »

Another IPB with a bird design amongst Chinese magnolia.  Need help with both bird IDs and a translation of the script on each side of the bottle.   

This bottle as I recall was painted by Wang Ming in 2006.  You will find this artist on page 234 of the book 'Chinese Inside Painting of the Modern Age' under his proper name of Zhang Haishen.  Wang Ming has painted these birds to virtual perfection with a bold and colorful style.

All help and bird IDs would be appreciated, Charll

* Blue_ Bird.jpg (150.16 KB, 500x667 - viewed 48 times.)

* Green_ Bird.jpg (159.67 KB, 500x667 - viewed 47 times.)

* Green_ Bird_Script.jpg (238.43 KB, 667x500 - viewed 34 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

wgeoff
Private Boards

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 02:48:50 am »

Hi Charll

These bottles are really beautifully painted. No problem on bird identification as they are quite accurately portrayed.

The blue bird is an Indian Roller and the green bird is a Blue-tailed Bee-eater.

Both species are from the far southwest of China.

They are related species and are also related to the Hoopoe you showed previously. The Bee-eater is seen fairly regularly in Hong Kong but this species of Roller has never been seen in Hong Kong.

Geoff
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 04:20:25 am by wgeoff » Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 03:43:17 am »

Charll... Those birds are really beautiful paintings !  So deailed, and stunning colors !
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 10:53:45 am »

Dear Giovanni,
    Yes, I did know. We had a competition to decide, and I wanted the local hummingbird, named by some anti-Semite the 'Palestinian sunbird'! Just joking. But the Hoopoe, called the 'bulbul' in Hebrew and in Arabic, won the competition hands down.
     They are very family oriented, they argue a lot, are very loud, and so many Jews and Arabs in Israel felt they symbolise both main national groups in Israel very well!  Grin   Wink
   Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Private Boards

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2014, 11:32:18 am »

Dera Joey,
I didn't know that there are hummingbirds in Israel. You are lucky!
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Steven

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2014, 02:20:39 pm »

Dear Charll,

A wonderful bottle! I normally don't like to much bright colors on the bottles, but I do like this one, very well done.

The script is from a Poem of Tang Poet Li He, 嫁与春风不用媒, if I translate it directly from Chinese, it should be" Marry the wind of spring without matchmaker" which described the leaves fall off the tree naturally. painted in 2005 by Wang Ming.

Revised" Hope"

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2014, 11:04:32 pm »

Geoff and Steven,

Thanks for filling in the IDs on the birds and the translation.  This information allows me to finish the cataloging of the bottle. 

Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: